2022 silverado faulty trailer brake controller and buggy camera when trailer connected

All stop.  The recall looks to be issued today.  Check your diagnostic report/call your dealer.   I got this in my monthly onstar diagnostics email today...

I'm wondering if I need to tell my service manager to clear mine because it wad fixed the first week of January...

Screenshot_20230214_130322_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20230214_130727_Chrome.jpg

Edited by brentrb031
Spelling. More details
  • Like 1

I kinda feel a little vindication now.  Like all my calls/emails to my service manager were not in vein.

I'm still disappointed there wasn't a no tow memo put out by GM on these vehicles.  I hope nobody was injured because of this after it became known...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Fun Stuff! Just got my 2022 after Lemon Lawing my 2021 for electrical issues they couldn't fix just to a whole new set of issues. This forum starts with camera and trailering issues on a 2022 Silverado 1500 but the replacement part doesn't have the 2022 listed: https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-trailer-brake-control-switch-assembly-84488395

I also didn't receive a notice from GM that there's a recall for my truck. 

Note: I noticed my trailer lights flickering slightly so I unplugged it. 

My truck was affected by this among other things. I finally decided to continue trying to right all these things wasn't worth it anymore and traded the Silverado off. Yeah it cost me but it was worth every last nickel, dime, and penny. No more issues and no more trying to maneuver with a dishonest dealership for me. 

Personally, I think it's sad that something like this could even happen in the first place. Clearly GM screwed up and started installing a brake controller switch that wasn't ready for prime time. Instead of owning their mistake (which they had at least some awareness of in October of '22) and communicating the setback to their dealer network, they just sat on their hands and let these trucks continue to go out the door. The story might be ringing some bells for those of you that remember GM's ignition switch strategy. 

For me, I tow as a matter of personal utility but there are some in this thread that have had their vacations or jobs impacted; all to a cold shoulder. That's a pretty bad shake considering how much each of you paid for that privilege. 

I'm no movie star or influencer but I have friends and family that know and trust how much I love cars and motorsport. For my part, I'll be letting them know to stay far and wide of GM products if they can at all avoid it. 

I received the same letter today.  I need to go back into my email to see, but I believe they called this a "recall" in that update email I received last month.

What perplexes me about this is why not call it a recall?  Doing the calculus in my head, It's a $30 part and takes maybe an hour or so of service to replace?

I feel as if most truck buyers who have this package will not tow, however these trucks will enter the secondary market where it's acquired by someone who might want to tow. I keep going back to this being a safety issue and the (my perceived) low-cost of repair, they should handle this in perpetuity if it's never been resolved by the original owner...

But that's just my $0.02 - I work in customer experience, this is just a horrible one and does not reflect well on the GM brand.

I am getting close to 33mpg on my 4x4 3.0 LM2 between Pittsburgh and Columbus when I need to commute, so I'm not looking to trade-in/switch just yet.  Camping season just getting ready to start, I'm curious to the mpg and DEF consumption while towing this spring (just did 2 short tows last fall) - I imagine it still beating out the gasoline options in the long run form a value-perspective.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a 2500HD 2023 and the trailer brake controller has melted 3 times in 4,000 miles.  I have had the trailer checked out and is good to go.  GM now says the issue is on me, absolutely NO customer support.  I purchased the truck with the fifth-wheel installed and GM now offers a plug in the bed.  Unfortunately the plugs have been swapped and mounted in the wrong position.  The plug with the camera is mounted on the bumper and the plug with the flat 4-prong is mounted in the bed...what else has assembled wrong at the factory that keeps blowing the trailer brake controller, EVEN when no trailer is plugged in?  This truck was bought as a tow vehicle for a company, and now we have to keep renting trucks as we make payments on this one, and it is just sitting at dealership!

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

Today I took my trailer out of storage and the brakes are working! I towed ~20km without any braking issues, so the brake controller replacement seems to have fixed this issue.

On the other hand, I still have the camera issue. :( Every time I connect a trailer (I tested today with two different trailers), there are white lines at the top of the image. They dissapear only after disconnecting the trailer, shutting down the engine, locking the doors and waiting a couple of minutes.

I attached here a fresh picture, maybe someone has an idea.

I also noticed that the trailer led lights are flickering when connected to the truck with the engine off.

Any help on this subject is greatly appreciated!

IMG_20230421_152007983_HDR.jpg

On 3/21/2023 at 10:26 AM, Frazier T. said:

Unfortunately the plugs have been swapped and mounted in the wrong position.  The plug with the camera is mounted on the bumper and the plug with the flat 4-prong is mounted in the bed...

That is the correct position of the trailer light plugs.

8 hours ago, drafil said:

Hello everyone,

Today I took my trailer out of storage and the brakes are working! I towed ~20km without any braking issues, so the brake controller replacement seems to have fixed this issue.

On the other hand, I still have the camera issue. :( Every time I connect a trailer (I tested today with two different trailers), there are white lines at the top of the image. They dissapear only after disconnecting the trailer, shutting down the engine, locking the doors and waiting a couple of minutes.

I attached here a fresh picture, maybe someone has an idea.

I also noticed that the trailer led lights are flickering when connected to the truck with the engine off.

Any help on this subject is greatly appreciated!

IMG_20230421_152007983_HDR.jpg

Are the trailer lights constantly flickering or is there a time interval? If not constant, you have the theft deterrent turned on in the trailer app. It will flash the lights every so often to make sure trailer is still connected while off.

On 4/22/2023 at 8:05 AM, gemarsh said:

Are the trailer lights constantly flickering or is there a time interval? If not constant, you have the theft deterrent turned on in the trailer app. It will flash the lights every so often to make sure trailer is still connected while off.

Hi gemarsh,

The lights flash form time to time. I looked in manual and it looks to be indeed the truck probing the trailer is still connected as a theft deterrent measure, so this is ok.

I did another test today using this electrical adapter for led lights trailers, without connecting the trailer:
https://www.curtmfg.com/part/57003

The tools has integrated resistors. Five to ten seconds after plugging it in the truck's receptacle, I can reproduce the issue!

If someone with electrical knowledge has an idea it would be very helpful.

2 hours ago, drafil said:

Hi gemarsh,

The lights flash form time to time. I looked in manual and it looks to be indeed the truck probing the trailer is still connected as a theft deterrent measure, so this is ok.

I did another test today using this electrical adapter for led lights trailers, without connecting the trailer:
https://www.curtmfg.com/part/57003

The tools has integrated resistors. Five to ten seconds after plugging it in the truck's receptacle, I can reproduce the issue!

If someone with electrical knowledge has an idea it would be very helpful.

It's a new truck so I would take your adapter and truck to the dealer.

Are you in reverse gear taking this pic? Put into park and test the other camera views and see if they are scrambled the same. It's not going to fix anything. I'm just inquisitive.

On 4/26/2023 at 11:28 PM, gemarsh said:

It's a new truck so I would take your adapter and truck to the dealer.

Are you in reverse gear taking this pic? Put into park and test the other camera views and see if they are scrambled the same. It's not going to fix anything. I'm just inquisitive.

Hi gemarsh,

Thank you for your help.

I did the tests in park, drive and reverse, the issue is always there.

Since this thread is mostly related to trailer brake controller issues, I started a new thread here:

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/263034-2022-silverado-backup-camera-noise-when-trailer-connected/

Edited by drafil