2022 silverado faulty trailer brake controller and buggy camera when trailer connected

6 hours ago, daniel murphy said:

Hello, 

I connected the new switch and it worked without any programming.  I was wondering if it was going to work as i was figuring out how to take the truck apart.  So when i got to the point where is was able to unplug the old one, i plugged in the new one and tried it first before reassembly.  And it worked!

Here's what i did on my 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation - (This may not apply to older models (Chevy, older models, ??)

1 - Pull of panel located near hood release.  Remove hex head screw (7mm socket) that holds the next panel to the right of the first panel you just removed

2 - Remove passenger side fuse panel cover and (3) hex head screws 

3 - Remove panel to the right of glove box

4 - Remove both trim peices on the side of center console - grab from underside and pull out, then slide back a little

5 - Remove panel thats under heater control bezel (red lines pointed at this)

6 - Remove panel thats above heater control bezel (highlighted with yellow)

7 - Remove hex head screws holding bezel in place, pull out bezel from dash.  

8 - Replace the switch, it pops out from the back of the bezel.  There are 4 plastics tabs holding it to the bezel.  Gently pry out on the tabs on one side and get the switch started on that side, then the otherside and remove.  

Reverse order for reassembly.  Be gentle and take your time.  

I bought the switch P/N 84488395 from ebay for $34.74 plus tax - free shipping frome seller : directchevyparts

Ordered it on 1/16 and had it on 1/19.  Quick - from Arizona to CT!

Hope this helps.  

IMG_9033.jpg

IMG_9034.jpg

IMG_9035.jpg

IMG_9036.jpg

IMG_9037.jpg

69601852233__CA819386-47C4-4D2D-ABCF-0B1899C966FE.jpg

69601859337__49A32000-8B68-400A-B758-414CA55A9AC2.jpg

Thx so much I’m pressing for dealership to try.  But will do it myself if they don’t want to go for it!  Sounds like it depends on the dealership whether they will try it!!! 

16 hours ago, daniel murphy said:

Hello, 

I connected the new switch and it worked without any programming.  I was wondering if it was going to work as i was figuring out how to take the truck apart.  So when i got to the point where is was able to unplug the old one, i plugged in the new one and tried it first before reassembly.  And it worked!

Here's what i did on my 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation - (This may not apply to older models (Chevy, older models, ??)

1 - Pull of panel located near hood release.  Remove hex head screw (7mm socket) that holds the next panel to the right of the first panel you just removed

2 - Remove passenger side fuse panel cover and (3) hex head screws 

3 - Remove panel to the right of glove box

4 - Remove both trim peices on the side of center console - grab from underside and pull out, then slide back a little

5 - Remove panel thats under heater control bezel (red lines pointed at this)

6 - Remove panel thats above heater control bezel (highlighted with yellow)

7 - Remove hex head screws holding bezel in place, pull out bezel from dash.  

8 - Replace the switch, it pops out from the back of the bezel.  There are 4 plastics tabs holding it to the bezel.  Gently pry out on the tabs on one side and get the switch started on that side, then the otherside and remove.  

Reverse order for reassembly.  Be gentle and take your time.  

I bought the switch P/N 84488395 from ebay for $34.74 plus tax - free shipping frome seller : directchevyparts

Ordered it on 1/16 and had it on 1/19.  Quick - from Arizona to CT!

Hope this helps.  

IMG_9033.jpg

IMG_9034.jpg

IMG_9035.jpg

IMG_9036.jpg

IMG_9037.jpg

69601852233__CA819386-47C4-4D2D-ABCF-0B1899C966FE.jpg

69601859337__49A32000-8B68-400A-B758-414CA55A9AC2.jpg

Thanks for the info Daniel, going to call my dealership to see if I can get then to replace this and if not I may end up doing it myself.

Hey everyone... I just got an update from GM and dealership on my case.  Sounds like they are releasing my dealership to replace the Trailer Brake controller with Trailer Brake Control Switch Assembly - GM (84488395) .  They are ordering two parts just in case (maybe there was a bad lot?).  Only bummer is 3-5 business days so I have to take truck back when they have part.  I'm hoping this is officially communicated.  Anxious to get this resolved and tested on my trailer.

My biggest complete is the lack of direct communication on the topic to owners and openness about the issue.  This may be a small, low cost part but is a "HUGE" concern for those pulling trailers that require trailer brakes.  I purchased this vehicle in mid Nov 2022 and found issue in  mid Oct 2022, but there was little to no information available and even dealership was scratching their head...  This was the main purpose of me purchasing my 2022 Chevy Trail Boss.  Crossing fingers this closed after I get replacement and can fully test.  More to come.. Cautiously optimistic!!!

19 minutes ago, Matt0495 said:

Hey everyone... I just got an update from GM and dealership on my case.  Sounds like they are releasing my dealership to replace the Trailer Brake controller with Trailer Brake Control Switch Assembly - GM (84488395) .  They are ordering two parts just in case (maybe there was a bad lot?).  Only bummer is 3-5 business days so I have to take truck back when they have part.  I'm hoping this is officially communicated.  Anxious to get this resolved and tested on my trailer.

My biggest complete is the lack of direct communication on the topic to owners and openness about the issue.  This may be a small, low cost part but is a "HUGE" concern for those pulling trailers that require trailer brakes.  I purchased this vehicle in mid Nov 2022 and found issue in  mid Oct 2022, but there was little to no information available and even dealership was scratching their head...  This was the main purpose of me purchasing my 2022 Chevy Trail Boss.  Crossing fingers this closed after I get replacement and can fully test.  More to come.. Cautiously optimistic!!!

Hope this will fix your truck, Matt, please let us know.

4 minutes ago, Don Ross said:

I took the truck to the dealer and they replaced part 84488395 went home and tested, No more failures!!!!

I haven’t road tested but I am sure it will work because it would fail right away.  

Great news, thank you for the update!

On 1/21/2023 at 6:25 AM, DGK194 said:

I bought a new '22 GMC Sierra Elevation in 2 months ago for the sole purpose of towing my trailer which I use weekly.  Same trailer brake error showed on the screen the first time I hooked up.  Went to the dealer yesterday to have it fixed, they replaced the trailer brake control module, but it still has the case "c159c-49" and not working.  Dealer said "GM is working on a fix".  No known date of resolution, in the meantime, I'm stuck paying for a vehicle I can't use.  Any one try getting a loaner or a refund?

This is a bit disheartening after all the success stories.Do you think the Dealer even replaced it???   

1 hour ago, scottnweeze said:

This is a bit disheartening after all the success stories.Do you think the Dealer even replaced it???   

My dealer also replaced the trailer brake controller back in october last year, and this did not fix the issue, so they put back the original part. I don't know if they used the same part number that fixed other people's issue though (#84488395). They said they will call me by the end of the month to give me news (if any). I'll keep you updated.

What type of aftermarket controller did you try..  I have a 22 Silverado 3.0 duramax with the same issue.   The dealer won’t even talk to me about it.   I’m tempted to to a aftermarket controller set up that goes on trailer but get just power from the truck.  The brakes are controlled on the trailer side.  This sucks 

In my case, the dealer swapped in the controller from one of their loaner trucks (build date unknown) and it didn't affect the brake controller issue one way or the other. If the controller was revised and is indeed the reason some of us have working trailer brakes again it would have made things easier if they deprecated the old part number in favor of a new one. I've thought about ordering one from one of the internet OEM parts sites but it still feels like a gamble to me. 

Edited by Anthony Bessel

I own my own repair shop.  Purchased A 2022 Trail Boss in August.  Alldata has the related PIT bulletin listed on 10-2022.  I printed it out and took my truck in for the DRL recall, the trailer brake concern and the Wireless Phone charger update.  They basically told me there was an information bulletin and GM was aware of the concern without a known fix, Something I already knew and they sent me on my way.  Not satisfied, I called and opened a case with GM.  Even more unsatisfied with the representatives answer, I ordered a 84488395 switch through my gm supplier and disassembled my dash.  plugged the new switch in and no more message or returning code c159c.  Looked at the part number of the removed switch, 87834257.  Now if GM could get their crap together..Maybe I should apply 4 a job there.

• Like 1

Well, I finally closed the deal today for a Chevy buyback on my 2022 Silverado 1500 with the trailer brake controller problem.  Chevy was never able to fix it, so I went through with the buyback process.  I found the trailer brake issue in late August 2022, went to the dealership the first time in September 2022, and only just now closed the buyback today.  Frustrating to say the least.

I do have airbags, wireless one air compressor, and a brand new Leer mid-rise canopy (short bed, white) here in Utah for any of you keeping your trucks!

6 hours ago, Ted D said:

I own my own repair shop.  Purchased A 2022 Trail Boss in August.  Alldata has the related PIT bulletin listed on 10-2022.  I printed it out and took my truck in for the DRL recall, the trailer brake concern and the Wireless Phone charger update.  They basically told me there was an information bulletin and GM was aware of the concern without a known fix, Something I already knew and they sent me on my way.  Not satisfied, I called and opened a case with GM.  Even more unsatisfied with the representatives answer, I ordered a 84488395 switch through my gm supplier and disassembled my dash.  plugged the new switch in and no more message or returning code c159c.  Looked at the part number of the removed switch, 87834257.  Now if GM could get their crap together..Maybe I should apply 4 a job there.

Hi Ted, thanks for sharing this!

Can you please let us know if the brake controller switch replacement procedure for Silverado Trail Boss is the same as for Sierra Elevation? Daniel Murphy posted the steps for Sierra here.

Thank you!

On 1/26/2023 at 9:41 AM, Anthony Bessel said:

In my case, the dealer swapped in the controller from one of their loaner trucks (build date unknown) and it didn't affect the brake controller issue one way or the other. If the controller was revised and is indeed the reason some of us have working trailer brakes again it would have made things easier if they deprecated the old part number in favor of a new one. I've thought about ordering one from one of the internet OEM parts sites but it still feels like a gamble to me. 

Agreed. I did take the gamble and ordered a controller from Ebay (success reported in this forum from there), but it's not a quick job. Figure I'll wait it out until April or so when things start to melt here in CO, and it's trailer time again. Hopefully the Dealer comes through before that. It's worth the $30 to me. I really love this truck, waited 7 months for it and would not want a buy back.