2022 silverado faulty trailer brake controller and buggy camera when trailer connected

22 minutes ago, Don Ross said:

I am going to take truck in next week with the same fix replacement controller. I gave them the part number through this message board, let's hope that it works and we can all move on from this most unfortunate situation.

Great, please let us know if it works!

On 1/12/2023 at 4:54 PM, Don Ross said:

I am going to take truck in next week with the same fix replacement controller. I gave them the part number through this message board, let's hope that it works and we can all move on from this most unfortunate situation.

Any feedback on you testihg?  I've got apt with dealership to attempt same resolution?  Thx

GM customer service has been NO help. All I hear since October is "they're escalating my claim."  Filed a conplaint with BBB, GM reached out and offered the Curt Bluetooth(which is listed as a GM part also). We already ordered it via Amazon, waiting on testing ourselves. I feel the offer of $250 reimbursement is VERY lackluster in comparison to the cost of trailering package, lost wages at work, extra mileage on truck now and simply my time running around borrowing out of state work vehicles to tow. I have consulted an attorney, they will take the case if I want to proceed.  

On 1/11/2023 at 9:15 PM, daniel murphy said:

My 2022 GMC Sierra is experiencing the same issue with trailer brakes disabling.  Its going to the dealer Monday.  We will see wha they say.  Ill keep ya posted, hopefully its just the switch.  

Got my truck back yesterday with nothing done by my dealer.  They said they’re waiting on the proper fix from the engineers.  I started a case with GM, and they called back today, absolutely no help and told me to bring it to a different dealer.  Lol.  What a joke. 

I bought my 22 Silverado Trail Boss Duramax 3.0 on Oct 2nd. On October 3rd I got my first disabled message for the trailer brakes. Took back to the dealer. Dealer gave me the service bulletin. I took my truck in for the day time running lights recall and asked about the trailer brakes. No update yet. I opened a case with GM they said my dealer misdiagnosed my truck and to take it to another dealer. I did that this week. Same results. I called GM back and they called yesterday stating no fix and nothing they can do for me. There is a law firm starting a class action lawsuit against GM. I really just want my truck fixed so I can pull my trailer with my snowmobiles. GM did try to blame trailer but I told them I have tried 7 different trailers all with the same results. 

On 1/12/2023 at 12:24 PM, Matt0495 said:

Having the same issue.  Communication on this topic is unacceptable as it is widespread and a critical component expected for towing larger trailers.  Please add me to the list and 

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Matt0495.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your truck. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Matt0495/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

I just bought my new 2022 zr2 at the end of November 2022 and had this issue happen to me when I hooked up either one of my trailers to my truck which are both newer trailer just purchased in the last couple of years for my sxs. I had no issues with my 2021 trailboss or if my brother hooks up his 2021 rst with the same integrated controller. If I hook up it gives me the trailer brakes disabled message. I took it to the dealer in December and they told me it was a know issue and and told me about the service bulletin. I haven't heard anything back from the dealer currently but seeing the new part in here I will call them and ask about that and the fix being as I need my truck to be able to pull my trailer safely which was the whole reason for getting it. 

I bought a new '22 GMC Sierra Elevation in 2 months ago for the sole purpose of towing my trailer which I use weekly.  Same trailer brake error showed on the screen the first time I hooked up.  Went to the dealer yesterday to have it fixed, they replaced the trailer brake control module, but it still has the case "c159c-49" and not working.  Dealer said "GM is working on a fix".  No known date of resolution, in the meantime, I'm stuck paying for a vehicle I can't use.  Any one try getting a loaner or a refund?

I just purchased a new 2022 Silverado 1500 I’m having the same issue with trailer brakes when connected to any trailer I get trailer brakes disabled service required went back to dealership they confirmed the problem said gm is aware of the problem but at this time there is no fix I called gm and got the same answer, totally unacceptable and dangerous. I went on the NHTSA site and reported the problem  I suggest everyone with this problem does the same.

On 1/17/2023 at 4:45 PM, daniel murphy said:

Got my truck back yesterday with nothing done by my dealer.  They said they’re waiting on the proper fix from the engineers.  I started a case with GM, and they called back today, absolutely no help and told me to bring it to a different dealer.  Lol.  What a joke. 

Update - 

I installed a new trailer brake slide switch myself (Part# 84488395.) 

The dealer I brought the truck to would not do anything, as they’re  waiting for the engineers? 

The trailer brakes are working fine now.

1 hour ago, daniel murphy said:

Update - 

I installed a new trailer brake slide switch myself (Part# 84488395.) 

The dealer I brought the truck to would not do anything, as they’re  waiting for the engineers? 

The trailer brakes are working fine now.

Hi Daniel,

It looks like the brake controller switch part #84488395 fixed the issue for a couple of people on this forum, which is great news!

You said you installed it yourself, can you share the steps and some pictures on how to remove the old switch and install the new one, please? This will help a lot of people that don't get the necessary support from GM or from their dealers.

Also, did you need to program the new switch (install a software update or a firmware to make it work and recognize your truck)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 hour ago, drafil said:

Hi Daniel,

It looks like the brake controller switch part #84488395 fixed the issue for a couple of people on this forum, which is great news!

You said you installed it yourself, can you share the steps and some pictures on how to remove the old switch and install the new one, please? This will help a lot of people that don't get the necessary support from GM or from their dealers.

Also, did you need to program the new switch (install a software update or a firmware to make it work and recognize your truck)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello, 

I connected the new switch and it worked without any programming.  I was wondering if it was going to work as i was figuring out how to take the truck apart.  So when i got to the point where is was able to unplug the old one, i plugged in the new one and tried it first before reassembly.  And it worked!

Here's what i did on my 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation - (This may not apply to older models (Chevy, older models, ??)

1 - Pull of panel located near hood release.  Remove hex head screw (7mm socket) that holds the next panel to the right of the first panel you just removed

2 - Remove passenger side fuse panel cover and (3) hex head screws 

3 - Remove panel to the right of glove box

4 - Remove both trim peices on the side of center console - grab from underside and pull out, then slide back a little

5 - Remove panel thats under heater control bezel (red lines pointed at this)

6 - Remove panel thats above heater control bezel (highlighted with yellow)

7 - Remove hex head screws holding bezel in place, pull out bezel from dash.  

8 - Replace the switch, it pops out from the back of the bezel.  There are 4 plastics tabs holding it to the bezel.  Gently pry out on the tabs on one side and get the switch started on that side, then the otherside and remove.  

Reverse order for reassembly.  Be gentle and take your time.  

I bought the switch P/N 84488395 from ebay for $34.74 plus tax - free shipping frome seller : directchevyparts

Ordered it on 1/16 and had it on 1/19.  Quick - from Arizona to CT!

Hope this helps.  

IMG_9033.jpg

IMG_9034.jpg

IMG_9035.jpg

IMG_9036.jpg

IMG_9037.jpg

69601852233__CA819386-47C4-4D2D-ABCF-0B1899C966FE.jpg

69601859337__49A32000-8B68-400A-B758-414CA55A9AC2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daniel murphy said:

Hello, 

I connected the new switch and it worked without any programming.  I was wondering if it was going to work as i was figuring out how to take the truck apart.  So when i got to the point where is was able to unplug the old one, i plugged in the new one and tried it first before reassembly.  And it worked!

Here's what i did on my 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation - (This may not apply to older models (Chevy, older models, ??)

1 - Pull of panel located near hood release.  Remove hex head screw (7mm socket) that holds the next panel to the right of the first panel you just removed

2 - Remove passenger side fuse panel cover and (3) hex head screws 

3 - Remove panel to the right of glove box

4 - Remove both trim peices on the side of center console - grab from underside and pull out, then slide back a little

5 - Remove panel thats under heater control bezel (red lines pointed at this)

6 - Remove panel thats above heater control bezel (highlighted with yellow)

7 - Remove hex head screws holding bezel in place, pull out bezel from dash.  

8 - Replace the switch, it pops out from the back of the bezel.  There are 4 plastics tabs holding it to the bezel.  Gently pry out on the tabs on one side and get the switch started on that side, then the otherside and remove.  

Reverse order for reassembly.  Be gentle and take your time.  

I bought the switch P/N 84488395 from ebay for $34.74 plus tax - free shipping frome seller : directchevyparts

Ordered it on 1/16 and had it on 1/19.  Quick - from Arizona to CT!

Hope this helps.  

IMG_9033.jpg

IMG_9034.jpg

IMG_9035.jpg

IMG_9036.jpg

IMG_9037.jpg

69601852233__CA819386-47C4-4D2D-ABCF-0B1899C966FE.jpg

69601859337__49A32000-8B68-400A-B758-414CA55A9AC2.jpg

Thank you so much Daniel!