2022 silverado faulty trailer brake controller and buggy camera when trailer connected

I have this same issue. I have a case open with GM and I’m requesting a buy back. The sole purpose I purchased this truck to tow my camper. With out trailer brakes it’s basically a death trap waiting to happen. It’s like buying a TV and the hdmi port not working. You take it back to the store and the store replaces it. It’s not like these faults are happening a year or two down the road. It’s literally off the lot in this condition which means it rolled off the production line like this. It’s totally unacceptable to sell these trucks like this. Especially without disclosing the condition prior to sell. GM knows they are selling these trucks like this. It’s highly unacceptable! It erodes trust in long time GM customers.

2ACD3247-1816-4A0D-AB21-E0817FA73904.png

On 11/28/2022 at 9:54 AM, GMCustomerService said:

This is certainly not what we like to hear, New guy.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2022 Chevrolet Silverado RST. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: New guy/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

What a Joke!!!

GM say they don't like to hear of our issues and that customer service is important to them. That is bull****. We reach out and let them know whats going on, along with them confirming our issues with the dealerships; all for what? For them to say "sorry, we know it's tough to have a truck you can't tow with but we are trying to find a fix." In the meantime just keep making the payments and driving your truck as if it were a car until we eventually can make it right. 

This is totally unfair and not good customer service. How about stop selling these trucks until there is a fix, along with compensating the people who are currently affected by this issue. 

Edited by DonewithGM22
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DonewithGM22 said:

What a Joke!!!

GM say they don't like to hear of our issues and that customer service is important to them. That is bull****. We reach out and let them know whats going on, along with them confirming our issues with the dealerships; all for what? For them to say "sorry, we know it's tough to have a truck you can't tow with but we are trying to find a fix." In the meantime just keep making the payments and driving your truck as if it were a car until we eventually can make it right. 

This is totally unfair and not good customer service. How about stop selling these trucks until there is a fix, along with compensating the people who are currently affected by this issue. 

Yes, exactly! It’s not fair to put undue pain on consumers buying trucks. At the very least f****** tell costumers they are buying a defective truck before they purchase it. So they can have the right to buy something that’s not defective. It’s just bull****

6 hours ago, New guy said:

Hey guys, 

I just got off the phone with a GM representative. She did inform me that she spoke to someone in the GM tech service and they are finishing up a fix for it. But she is unsure when that will be. Hope this sheds some light.   

Thank you for the information 

10 hours ago, New guy said:

Hey guys, 

I just got off the phone with a GM representative. She did inform me that she spoke to someone in the GM tech service and they are finishing up a fix for it. But she is unsure when that will be. Hope this sheds some light.   

I just got a buy back offer yesterday for my truck.  The GM case manager told me it would take 45-60 days to complete and if there is a fix available before then, I can get it fixed and then decide if I want to keep it or complete the buy back.  I'm hoping there is a fix as I otherwise really like my diesel 1500 and would like to keep it.  I have looked at Ford, Ram and Toyota, and I just don't like what they have to offer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rick Davenport said:

I just got a buy back offer yesterday for my truck.  The GM case manager told me it would take 45-60 days to complete and if there is a fix available before then, I can get it fixed and then decide if I want to keep it or complete the buy back.  I'm hoping there is a fix as I otherwise really like my diesel 1500 and would like to keep it.  I have looked at Ford, Ram and Toyota, and I just don't like what they have to offer.

Wow I'm surprised GM approved a buy back for you. I was denied for my buy back last week. I have seen on these forums that has been the case for many people effected by this same issue.

Hopefully it all works out for you.  

30 minutes ago, New guy said:

Also I am having a problem with my charging pad.  The dealership said it charges android phones but not the Apple phones and they’re clueless why that is. 

My charging pad will not charge IPhones or Androids. The dealership said they have seen a few now that are faulty. They also told me that there are three different part numbers for the charging pad. Two are currently available and one is on back order. Mine is the one on back order and the parts are said to be not interchangeable.

I'm surprised that GM has offered you a $1500 credit. It seems they haven't been offering much of anything to most people including myself. They shouldn't be giving any credits though, it should be checks to offset our inconvenience and payments on these expensive trucks.

GM needs to get there sh** together before they continue to push there defective trucks out to their customers. It is frustrating that we as the consumer have to hold the bag for their mistakes. We just get to go along for an unpleasant ride at our expense and aggravation.

It’s just disheartening. The degree of disconnect GM has for its customers. It’s just sick. All of us save our money to be able to afford these trucks to then get a swindled with experiences like this. Like you all said, it makes us never want to do business which them again. 

• Like 1

Just got off the phone with my local GMC dealer and was told they cant fix the issue and GM is working on a fix. NO TIME frame for fix. We already knew this but now it’s documented and hopefully the fix will be soon . I did email GM demanding a buy back ASAP.

Same issue. Purchased truck October 28. Hooked up trailer for the first time on November 28 after 1400 miles for a test drive with the trailer and experienced the same error almost immediately. I am glad I did that test run before my trip.

This has been a horrible experience. I could not get an appointment locally. The only dealership that would see me is the dealership where I bought the truck, which is 3 hours away (one way). We woke up at 3am to get to the dealer at 7am to diagnose the issue and tell me that there is nothing they can do and call GM. This is what the paperwork says “SCAN FOUND C159C TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER SWITCH UNKNOWN CAUSE ,,, ENGINEERING AWARE OF PROBLEM AND WORKING ON FIX TSI PIT5948A” That was an entire day wasted. A day I should have been camping.

Another pain, is that in trying to diagnose the issue on my trailer side (before I found this post) I replaced the 7-pin plug on my 1 year old trailer which I now know was totally unnecessary.

Opened a case with GM which has been escalated but have not talked to the next person yet. Also opened a case with BBB and GM called me about that case yesterday but I was unable to answer my phone. I will keep checking this post for updates and I will post as well.

Like many of you have said, it is sad that GM sells these trucks with this known issue. We bought this truck specifically for towing my RV. Now every day I have this truck is another day I cannot use my RV, which I use for business trips, doctors appointments, and vacation trips. Just had to cancel a trip this week, and I have two trips lined up in early January and beyond. On top of that, this is our only vehicle.

My wife has also contacted consumer reports.

Anybody aware of any class action law suits?

Edited by Texasrivercreek