2022 silverado faulty trailer brake controller and buggy camera when trailer connected

I received a call from GM corporate. They are sending a service engineer out to my dealer hopefully within a week. I also have a weird electrical issue that caused 89 codes to pop with a check engine light. They also talked about looking into GM repurchasing the truck. Not sure how that works but at this point I’m leaning that way. I have no faith in this truck 😞 too bad too it’s a beautiful vehicle. 

I'm giving them until the end of the year, that's just over 3 months from purchase - I have engaged a lawyer who took my case and provided him all the sales, window sticker, phone records, GM case numbers and documentation stating "they don't have a fix" - that was key to the lack of "fix attempts". I'm in PA, I have 12 months/12,000 miles to kick off the process.

But agreed, I love the truck, I love the 3.0 Duramax to tow my small camper, but dammit, I need that trailer brake controller to work w/o the wires/aftermarket unit sitting on my center console.  While that is working with my trailer brakes - the "Trailer Brake Disabled" error still pops on my dash info screen every time I start the truck as a cruel reminder of the money I paid for this feature that I am not getting as of yet...

After submitting my BBB claim, GM contacted me.  They offered me the same "fly an engineer out to my dealership to look at the issue".  I spoke to the BBB after GM made the offer and BBB said that will pause my case for as long as GM takes to work on the truck.  GM had no idea how long it would take the engineer to potentially fix the issue.  When pressed, the GM representative said they have no known fix, and in fact, they believe it's an issue with an OEM component that is unavailable currently due to the standard "supply chain issues".  So instead of letting GM play guinea pig with my truck, I declined so that my BBB claim can move forward.

Mine is.

The service bulletin also states '23 in some cases

Brand: Model: Model Year: VIN: Engine: Transmission: from to from to

Cadillac Escalade Models 2022 6/10/2022 EOP All All

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 New (RPO J22, VIN Digit 5 = A or D) 2022-2023 11th VIN Digit Z: 7/12/2022, G: 6/30/2022, or 1: 6/27/2022 9/29/2022 All All

Chevrolet Suburban 2022 6/10/2022 EOP All All

Chevrolet Tahoe 2022-2023 6/10/2022 EOP All All

GMC Sierra 1500 New (RPO J22, VIN Digit 5 = H or U) 2022-2023 11th VIN Digit Z: 7/12/2022, G: 6/30/2022, 6/27/2022 or 1: 9/29/2022 All All

GMC Yukon Models 2022 6/10/2022 EOP All All

Hello, does anybody here have the camera issue too (white lines at the top, see my first post at the beginning of the thread) when the trailer is connected? I hope my two issues are related, and fixing the trailer brake controller will also fix the camera which is otherwise unusable when is dark outside. Thanks!

10 minutes ago, drafil said:

Hello, does anybody here have the camera issue too (white lines at the top, see my first post at the beginning of the thread) when the trailer is connected? I hope my two issues are related, and fixing the trailer brake controller will also fix the camera which is otherwise unusable when is dark outside. Thanks!

I've been following this channel - he seems to be having back up camera issues - however I don't know if he has the brake controller issue (he hasn't towed from what I can tell).

https://www.youtube.com/c/JWilliams/videos

On 11/8/2022 at 12:48 PM, Will Baker said:

Thanks. Having the same issues. 2022 Chevy Silverado 5.3 RST trim

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Will Baker.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2022 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 RST. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Will Baker/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

2 hours ago, Will Baker said:

Anyone have any luck getting this resolved?

I opened a case with the BBB last week.  I was contacted by GM this week and we had a discussion on the issue and what my expectations were.  The GM rep said they should get back to me by the end of the week.  I live in Southeast Michigan (bought the truck right down the road from the GM Milford Proving Grounds, as ironic as that sounds), so we will see what their proposal is. Luckily, I took and shared a picture of the trailer failure message showing the truck only had 302 miles when this failure first appeared.       

I had an exchange of emails with GM in October when GMCustomerService contacted me on this forum. They validated with my dealer the error code C159C and said the GM engineers are aware of the problem and working on a solution. This was on October 19th. No news since.

I have the same issue with the trailer breaks not the camera. I have anew 2022 sierra and i took it in yesterday and was told that they are working on resolving the problem. The dealer did say that the battery was showing low voltage and that could be the cause 50/50. They replaced the battery and I will pick it up and find out it that was the issue.