2022 silverado faulty trailer brake controller and buggy camera when trailer connected

Ford has way way more issues than GM. I've worked at both dealerships as a technician. GM has issues, but Ford problems are monumental. People still love them. Just as an example of the difference in FOWARD and GM...  we regularly had to tow new Fords off the car carrier. Some came from factory with AC compressor not installed, but hoses and wiring there. How about 3 sets of brakes on an F150 in 60k miles?  my insurance agent said GM is cheaper to insure because it's much harder to steal than Ford. GM tech with On star make it risky to take.

On my new GM, i'm simply using the Curt Echo smart wireless brake controller. Works real slick, plug and play. You're phone is the controller.

There will be a software update and patch.

JUST PURCHASED A SILVERADO IN SEPTEMBER. SAME INTEGRATED BRAKE ISSUE. GM RELEASED A SERVICE BULLETIN ON OCT. THE 6TH. THERE CURRENTLY IS NO FIX FOR THE PROBLEM. IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO KNOW OF THE PROBLEM AT TIME OF PURCHASE. GM KNEW IT WAS A PROBLEM. CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT WOULD BE JUSTIFIED.

• Like 1

Hello all, 

so I too recently bought a 22 Silverado RST to haul my camper and I been having the same trailer issue. But the huge problem I’m having is that the dealership does not want anything to do with my car. It’s been a nightmare. I’m from Illinois. Please if anyone can help me and tell me which dealership in he Midwest you go to will be a big help. Thank you. 

On 11/16/2022 at 5:30 PM, Mike Duhaime said:

Ford has way way more issues than GM. I've worked at both dealerships as a technician. GM has issues, but Ford problems are monumental. People still love them. Just as an example of the difference in FOWARD and GM...  we regularly had to tow new Fords off the car carrier. Some came from factory with AC compressor not installed, but hoses and wiring there. How about 3 sets of brakes on an F150 in 60k miles?  my insurance agent said GM is cheaper to insure because it's much harder to steal than Ford. GM tech with On star make it risky to take.

On my new GM, i'm simply using the Curt Echo smart wireless brake controller. Works real slick, plug and play. You're phone is the controller.

There will be a software update and patch.

Hi Mike.  I see you are using a Curt echo wireless but I see they say it is not for 2022 gmc Sierra. I guess you are not having any problem with it on a Chevy, would like to try one on mine.  

Hi, I don't see where they say it cant be used.

The ONLY requirement is 12 volts fused power to terminal 4 on your & pin plug. That's it. Top black wire on left. That's all it needs to function as it runs off you're phone. My Kia Sorento did  not have 12 volts to plug, and i had to install a wire from engine bay  to plug. The accelorometer in your phone is the brake and wirelessly sends the power to brakes. I'm amazed how well it works.

Check your pin at top with key off and on, no lights on. If you have 12 volts, you're good to go. Nothing else from the vehicle is needed.

I'm still dealing with this mess. The dealership was like your Trucks all done then I asked what was the problem she said well its a problem and no fix. Sorry.  I was like wait you realize that is not fixed telling me its all done is not done.  GM is going to a massive lawsuit once someone has to die in a huge car pile up due to the brake failure.  Its crazy that something this simple hasn't been addressed yet. They could have come up with a fix within a week if they put priority on it.  Once again big corporate not doing a damn thing about a major safety issue. Last, with my complaint and others the the NHTSA why are they putting a safety recall and force action on something this dangerous.  This should have been resolved by now.  

Wouldn’t surprise me if NHTSA was heavily subsidized by GM.  Seems like all major safety issues over the past 25 years just get buried and swept under the rug.

Can only assume the actuaries at GM have determined it’s more economical to pay out a few $$ million in individual lawsuits resulting in death due to gross negligence rather than issue a recall costing $$ hundreds of millions. 

Quarterly profits at GM take precedence above all else.  The safety of you and your family aren’t even on their radar.

PIT5498A.pdf

image.thumb.png.428b7c02822e21f2201251e793482c90.png

image.png.436550d95332a6d3734d33b2d524e590.png

Here's a more legible copy of the service bulletin. 

What confuses me is if there is a known end-date on affected trucks, 9/29 in our example, then does that mean everything built after that date is functioning? Wondering if 9/29 speaks more to when the bulletin was issued because otherwise it means there is a fix but for unknown reasons it can't be rolled out to impacted trucks quickly/easily. 

Edited by Anthony Bessel

I have a 2022 refreshed Trail Boss LT that I am having this same trailer brake issue with, along with a couple other issues.

My backup camera drops out intermittently, my wireless charger connects and disconnects over and over without charging any phone I have placed into it, and when I tow any of my trailers that don't have electric brakes(using the 4 pin plug) I get all kinds of error messages. 

The dealership gave me the bulletin on the trailer brake issue and told me they can't do anything with it until GM finds a fix. They also found codes for trailer turnsignal  issues and a trailer brake gain issue. They assume these are related to the bulletin and want to wait to her more from GM.

As for the backup camera, they couldn't get it to replicate the issue, but they did pull a code out of the computer. They told me that they have to replicate the problem before they can do anything about it. They also said they can't justify a tech sitting in the truck for an extended period of time to get it to replicate the issue. So I guess I just get to deal with it forever, unless it is related to the trailer issue.

They did say that my charging pad is bad but they cant fix that either because the parts are not available.

I did open a case with GM. They have basically told me that I am a guineapig and have to deal with the trailer issues until GM finds a fix. They are unsure why the camera is dropping out but want me to take it back to the dealership as soon as it happens again. I told them that is not feasible because it will not be out when I get to the shop, they said oh I guess your right. Then then told me I have to deal with it until the dealership figures it out. I then asked about my charging pad that is not available. All I got was a sorry but you will get one when they become available, which they have no clue how long that will be.

The backup camera and charging pad are not huge deals, but for a $65000 truck they should work or be fixed in a timely manner. My major issue is the trailer stuff. I bought the truck to haul with, and I can't do that safely. GM doesn't give a crap and It's damn frustrating. 

I feel my only option is to trade it in for a truck that I can tow with and take a loss on the one I have only had for a little over two months.

Edited by DonewithGM22

16 hours ago, DonewithGM22 said:

I have a 2022 refreshed Trail Boss LT that I am having this same trailer brake issue with, along with a couple other issues.

My backup camera drops out intermittently, my wireless charger connects and disconnects over and over without charging any phone I have placed into it, and when I tow any of my trailers that don't have electric brakes(using the 4 pin plug) I get all kinds of error messages. 

The dealership gave me the bulletin on the trailer brake issue and told me they can't do anything with it until GM finds a fix. They also found codes for trailer turnsignal  issues and a trailer brake gain issue. They assume these are related to the bulletin and want to wait to her more from GM.

As for the backup camera, they couldn't get it to replicate the issue, but they did pull a code out of the computer. They told me that they have to replicate the problem before they can do anything about it. They also said they can't justify a tech sitting in the truck for an extended period of time to get it to replicate the issue. So I guess I just get to deal with it forever, unless it is related to the trailer issue.

They did say that my charging pad is bad but they cant fix that either because the parts are not available.

I did open a case with GM. They have basically told me that I am a guineapig and have to deal with the trailer issues until GM finds a fix. They are unsure why the camera is dropping out but want me to take it back to the dealership as soon as it happens again. I told them that is not feasible because it will not be out when I get to the shop, they said oh I guess your right. Then then told me I have to deal with it until the dealership figures it out. I then asked about my charging pad that is not available. All I got was a sorry but you will get one when they become available, which they have no clue how long that will be.

The backup camera and charging pad are not huge deals, but for a $65000 truck they should work or be fixed in a timely manner. My major issue is the trailer stuff. I bought the truck to haul with, and I can't do that safely. GM doesn't give a crap and It's damn frustrating. 

I feel my only option is to trade it in for a truck that I can tow with and take a loss on the one I have only had for a little over two months.

That’s what I did. I finally had enough. I took a bit of a loss and traded it on a Ford. Very disappointed in GM. 

On 11/19/2022 at 12:04 AM, New guy said:

Hello all, 

so I too recently bought a 22 Silverado RST to haul my camper and I been having the same trailer issue. But the huge problem I’m having is that the dealership does not want anything to do with my car. It’s been a nightmare. I’m from Illinois. Please if anyone can help me and tell me which dealership in he Midwest you go to will be a big help. Thank you. 

This is certainly not what we like to hear, New guy.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2022 Chevrolet Silverado RST. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: New guy/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com