My 2022 Custom model gasser crew cab is a fatty, confirmed by CAT Scales

2022 Custom Model, Crewcab short bed 4x4.  It has the tri fold tonneau cover and the 6" steps.   Full tank of gas with my wife and I in it.  Maybe 100lbs in the back seat area with the seats folded up weighed on Thursday.  See the attached CAT scale ticket.  Second weigh in and pic was today, full tank of gas, wife and I, and our 2023 Grand Design 2800BH with a full fresh water tank (52 gallons, approx 420lbs) that is located directly in front of the campers axles.  It was an interesting test for me.  We never go dry camping, but might in the future.  Anyhow I was shocked at how much it weighed with a full tank of gas with just my wife and I in it.  We total 350 on a bad day...lol....So damn, the beast needs to go on a diet.....LOL!!!

20221215_153059.jpg

20221217_181130.jpg

• Like 1

For those of you that tow with these huge beasts, our camper weighed in at exactly 8klbs.  We towed it 255 miles today, got 8.6mpg on back roads and highway 280 heading towards Goodwater, AL.  Not bad at all in my opinion.  Never a problem with power, never a problem at all.  That thing will tow 8klbs. without even breaking a sweat.  I LOVE our beast!!!!  Best truck ever!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Boy , that's a heavy truck! Is it a 2500HD? what engine? What is the GVW? My older trucks with lift gates and plow frames and tools are like 6200 with full tanks and me (275lb)

Edited by richard wysong

30 minutes ago, richard wysong said:

Boy , that's a heavy truck! Is it a 2500HD? what engine? What is the GVW? My older trucks with lift gates and plow frames and tools are like 6200 with full tanks and me (275lb)

Yup, just a plain jane 2500HD custom gasser.  She's a porker, but I love every ounce of her.....the beast as we call it.  Well I call it the big chicken, makes my wife laugh....lol...  I just saw on your profile that you live in Beverly MA.  I lived in Chelmsford back in the mid 80's going to aircraft school in Boston.  Very cool.  I was a mall cop at the Burlington mall back in 86.....LOL.......  I was best known as the guy who could open up any car door with a slim jim....lol....People would lock themselves out of their car, call mall security.  And it was me opening up their doors......great memories....and no I was never a thief or stole cars.  I had the gift of opening them up is all...lol.....We get up that way often for friends in Salem, NH.

Edited by Jettech1

26 minutes ago, Pryme said:

They all weigh that much. You said with you and the wife and a bit of gear. Sounds right. My WT is 7,131 according to the door plaque. If I added my weight and wife’s plus a bit of gear it would be the same. 

The reason I posted that is because I haven't seen anyone else's CAT scales numbers.  I was just surprised at how heavy they really are with 2 people, full tank of gas, and bit of gear in it.  My door decal says 7178, so going from that to 7780 just shocked me a bit is all.  My wife and I can makeup 350 of the extra weight plus the tonneau cover plus the 6" wide steps and a bit of gear, perhaps 100lbs or less.  Weird how the weight can add up quickly.

Edited by Jettech1

My 3500hd cclb srw slt with dual batteries, full tank, 200 lbs in the driver seat, 60 lb rubber mat in the bed, and minus the 75 lb tailgate has a front axle weight of 4440 and a rear axle weight of 3260 per a local certified truck scale.  

22 minutes ago, Another JR said:

My 3500hd cclb srw slt with dual batteries, full tank, 200 lbs in the driver seat, 60 lb rubber mat in the bed, and minus the 75 lb tailgate has a front axle weight of 4440 and a rear axle weight of 3260 per a local certified truck scale.  

Sounds about right.  A little nose heavy (compared to mine) probably because of your dual batteries.  Your rear axle weight is kind of light with a long bed as compared to my short bed.  And I have the tri-fold heavy tonneau cover.  Interesting...But still right in the area of being quite close to the same.  Edit: perhaps the long bed puts a little more weight on the front axle due to it's extended length.  Hmmmm, food for thought....and thank you for replying....this is all very interesting to me....

Edited by Jettech1

I'm just curious as to what the GVW is on these trucks?  the payload on my 98 is 2400lbs  with a gvw of 8600 and on my 04 which is only 2wd it's 3300lbs with a gvw of 9300lbs. both trucks are single cab, 8ft beds with liftgates. It seems the 4 doors etc add quite a bit of weight so did they increase the GVW? In Massachusettes a truck over 10000 gvw needs a special inspection ($135) and has to have commercial plates. There may be exceptions though

3 minutes ago, richard wysong said:

I'm just curious as to what the GVW is on these trucks?  the payload on my 98 is 2400lbs  with a gvw of 8600 and on my 04 which is only 2wd it's 3300lbs with a gvw of 9300lbs. both trucks are single cab, 8ft beds with liftgates. It seems the 4 doors etc add quite a bit of weight so did they increase the GVW? In Massachusettes a truck over 10000 gvw needs a special inspection ($135) and has to have commercial plates. There may be exceptions though

20220901_185009.jpg

16 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

20220901_185009.jpg

Close to the same as mine but your slightly heavier curb weight means you lost just a tad of payload. I can carry a few more cases for beer at 3,519 haha. Also with the plow prep my front end is 5,600. Otherwise identical plaques

• Like 1

10650 GVW, payload 3472 give or take so they did raise the GVW to make up for the weight of the truck itself. I will have to research to see how the DMV is dealing with the heavier trucks. Last time I was doing inspections if you attempted to inspect anything over 10k the computer screen would turn red and then cancel the inspection and it would have to go to a commercial vehicle inspection facility

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard wysong said:

10650 GVW, payload 3472 give or take so they did raise the GVW to make up for the weight of the truck itself. I will have to research to see how the DMV is dealing with the heavier trucks. Last time I was doing inspections if you attempted to inspect anything over 10k the computer screen would turn red and then cancel the inspection and it would have to go to a commercial vehicle inspection facility

Very interesting.  Please let us all know what you find out.  Here in GA they could careless.  But I do know many states that go beserk with anything over 10k....

28 minutes ago, Pryme said:

Close to the same as mine but your slightly heavier curb weight means you lost just a tad of payload. I can carry a few more cases for beer at 3,519 haha. Also with the plow prep my front end is 5,600. Otherwise identical plaques

Ok you win with the beer comment....lol....my favorite beverage of all....well aside from Gentlemen Jack whiskey.  But beer is my life blood....lol....

• Like 1