I would like to start a NEW catch can post for all to follow.

11 hours ago, customboss said:

You know a weak coil from factory will not throw a MIL code? It can partially fail.

@Jettech1  I quote @customboss to toss light on the coils not the writer. 

"Coil on" and "coil near" systems need a trigger and that trigger is a transistor. For some reason they decided to place that transistor in the coil (in most vehicles). Transistors are wonderful things but are heat funny as they age and unlike a hard switch. Heat is a killer and an unpredictable interrupter of current. It works, it doesn't, has a good day then it doesn't. Works on the bench and not in the car. Works with it's cold but not hot or hot but not cold. Good at light loads but not heavy. You get the picture. Customboss uses the word "Partial" but it's more "intermittent". 

Can be hard to hunt down without a laptop and on the road. May even require a 'rolling road' to find.   It can happen to new units. Not every pig born is perfect. 

Fuel GC tests says 'there is a problem' but doesn't tell you exactly where that problem is. Static coil test may say all the world is roses (while you're looking at it) but the GC can't be lied to. 

Allot of people, experts in the field, will tell you under 2.5% for a GDI is 'normal.' They also say a quart in a thousand miles oil consumption is normal. :idiot:

My take on it is that under 0.5% is absolutely possible. Over 2.5% it isn't likely the ignition system. And I know for a fact that up to 8% will not trip an MIL/CEL but it will crash a set of rings if it goes on long enough.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

@Jettech1  I quote @customboss to toss light on the coils not the writer. 

"Coil on" and "coil near" systems need a trigger and that trigger is a transistor. For some reason they decided to place that transistor in the coil (in most vehicles). Transistors are wonderful things but are heat funny as they age and unlike a hard switch. Heat is a killer and an unpredictable interrupter of current. It works, it doesn't, has a good day then it doesn't. Works on the bench and not in the car. Works with it's cold but not hot or hot but not cold. Good at light loads but not heavy. You get the picture. Customboss uses the word "Partial" but it's more "intermittent". 

Can be hard to hunt down without a laptop and on the road. May even require a 'rolling road' to find.   It can happen to new units. Not every pig born is perfect. 

Fuel GC tests says 'there is a problem' but doesn't tell you exactly where that problem is. Static coil test may say all the world is roses (while you're looking at it) but the GC can't be lied to. 

Allot of people, experts in the field, will tell you under 2.5% for a GDI is 'normal.' They also say a quart in a thousand miles oil consumption is normal. :idiot:

My take on it is that under 0.5% is absolutely possible. Over 2.5% it isn't likely the ignition system. And I know for a fact that up to 8% will not trip an MIL/CEL but it will crash a set of rings if it goes on long enough.  

That was fascinating to read.  I didn't know much of anything that you wrote, but thank you for taking the time to educate me and everyone else that likes to learn.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2023 at 10:02 AM, customboss said:

Great input!!  Water condensate is what can freeze.  I am all for capturing that! However no modern IC engine or turbine for that matter will have an unheated scupper or vent system. 

I'm not sure what you mean. When the vehicle is not running, such as when it sits overnight, nothing is keeping the catch can from freezing. Then when the vehicle is started it will still be frozen. Not even a glow plug will prevent that.

31 minutes ago, Dr1ft3r said:

I'm not sure what you mean. When the vehicle is not running, such as when it sits overnight, nothing is keeping the catch can from freezing. Then when the vehicle is started it will still be frozen. Not even a glow plug will prevent that.

I have to admit, that comment confused me too.  Especially with the added turbine to his comment.  I'm sure he had a great reason.  I don't know what it was about honestly anyhow....how about them Braves....yeah....I don't follow any sports, yup I'm one of those weird guys that has no interest at all in sports, it makes for a very happy wife by the way....hint hint....but I always use the braves as my backup because I live in Atlanta....lol...to get serious for just a moment....That was all oil in my catch can.  That won't freeze until the until hell freezes over in all honesty.  So in my little tiny brain, it's all good.  And he may actually know about turbine engines which is cool as hell.  But the scupper is actually the added on feature to the oil fill in turbine engines to you don't miss the actual oil fill port in the tank and drop a bunch of oil on the ground... That's what a scupper is...lol...so I'm sure he means no harm..  Probably a great guy, I would love to have many beers with him actually...let's have some beers, talk about the old days, smoke some cigs...yes I Marlboro lights is still my go to....I'm not perfect at all.  But I do love conversation.

Edited by Jettech1

2 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

I have to admit, that comment confused me too.  Especially with the added turbine to his comment.  I'm sure he had a great reason.  I don't know what it was about honestly anyhow....how about them Braves....yeah....I don't follow any sports, yup I'm one of those weird guys that has no interest at all in sports, it makes for a very happy wife by the way....hint hint....but I always use the braves as my backup because I live in Atlanta....lol...to get serious for just a moment....That was all oil in my catch can.  That won't freeze until the until hell freezes over in all honesty.  So in my little tiny brain, it's all good.  

It's all good. I just want people to be aware of a potential risk. GM is not going to warranty repair our trucks when they discover that the problem was due to an aftermarket modification.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2875914

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/so-my-catch-can-lines-froze.9285185/

Just 2 examples. Most people will probably never have an issue. But if anyone says it absolutely 100% cannot happen then they are wrong.

I also don't follow sports. 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr1ft3r said:

It's all good. I just want people to be aware of a potential risk. GM is not going to warranty repair our trucks when they discover that the problem was due to an aftermarket modification.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2875914

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/so-my-catch-can-lines-froze.9285185/

Just 2 examples. Most people will probably never have an issue. But if anyone says it absolutely 100% cannot happen then they are wrong.

I also don't follow sports. 😉

You make an excellent point here.  Not in my 35 plus new vehicles that I've bought over the years and modified the hell out of them have I ever been denied a warranty issue.  But.....that doesn't mean that they couldn't have in some form or fashion.  I know about the yadayadaya so proclaimed law that says they can't deny you warranty for this add on and that add on...But who really trusts the law?  And how many over the years have been totally screwed by the dealers?  You have to keep yourself safe no matter what.  Do what you want to do always knowing that something can go bad wrong.  It's a gamble, just like life.  And god love you for not following sports, I bet we both have happy wives for that....LOL!!!!!

I’ve modified every truck since my first. A 1970 Ford. That was my first change. A 240-6 to a 289. My dealers would advise me to change a mod like a tune if I had warranty work. The problem now is the manufacturer  can get involved eliminating dealer discretion. Even something benign like a can tune there’s a record that can’t be masked. 

9 hours ago, Dr1ft3r said:

My point is its capturing water condensate. Mostly fuel and water colored by carbon very little engine oil. 

9 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

I have to admit, that comment confused me too.  Especially with the added turbine to his comment.  I'm sure he had a great reason.  I don't know what it was about honestly anyhow....how about them Braves....yeah....I don't follow any sports, yup I'm one of those weird guys that has no interest at all in sports, it makes for a very happy wife by the way....hint hint....but I always use the braves as my backup because I live in Atlanta....lol...to get serious for just a moment....That was all oil in my catch can.  That won't freeze until the until hell freezes over in all honesty.  So in my little tiny brain, it's all good.  And he may actually know about turbine engines which is cool as hell.  But the scupper is actually the added on feature to the oil fill in turbine engines to you don't miss the actual oil fill port in the tank and drop a bunch of oil on the ground... That's what a scupper is...lol...so I'm sure he means no harm..  Probably a great guy, I would love to have many beers with him actually...let's have some beers, talk about the old days, smoke some cigs...yes I Marlboro lights is still my go to....I'm not perfect at all.  But I do love conversation.

Troll if you will Mr or Ms GT90 engine guy.....there is no such turbine engine as a GT. No I'm not a great guy. But that's not the point now is it?  

OK lets try this for the readers not you. 

Since you will not agree that the majority of your little catch can trapped liquid volume is fuel and water colored by carbon and a little engine oil since you've never analyzed the contents just observed and assumed. 

Lets keep this simple, if you are trapping oil in that catch can then your un-topped oil volume should decrease over your drain interval right?  

So how much used oil is being trapped in your catch can?  How much oil volume have you measured being gone on a disptick or volume check? 

There's your A&P answer to the question.  Do you sell these things?  LOL  

6 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

I like KISS, whatever it catches isn't going into the motor. Good enough for me.

And ignore having a cleaner burn as in plugs, boots,wires, clean air filter, clean DI injectors, so we don't blow-by excess fuels in the first place?  OK......KISS =  ignore basics and trap crap we make from incomplete combustion and EGR and PCV recircs.....

Catch can makes money for catch can companies.. 

Aside from the debate over what you are “catching,” catch cans, especially metal ones, function as condensers. So  what you catch wouldn’t necessarily have entered the intake system as liquid. 

Edited by Another JR

10 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

… And he may actually know about turbine engines which is cool as hell.  But the scupper is actually the added on feature to the oil fill in turbine engines to you don't miss the actual oil fill port in the tank and drop a bunch of oil on the ground... That's what a scupper is...lol...so I'm sure he means no harm..  

I think when he wrote scupper he may have meant the oil scavenge system.  

Edited by Another JR
Typo

31 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

Look boss, so you are big on testing, I'm not. Like I said before my simple methods have served me well for over 50 years.

I base my comments here on R&D testing. THEN I try to share practical applications. 

Don't miss what I posted above where I shared that you can check your oil consumption to prove AT HOME WITH NOTHING BUT A DIPSTICK AND ESTIMATING or measuring HOW MUCH OIL VOLUME WE FIND IN THE CATCH CAN in that interval. 

Unless your engine is Grumpy Bears 2015 GMC 2.4L I4 he has shared here ad nausem as he hunted down causal issues for its high oil usage,...... a healthy engine does not require it. 

You claim frequent service is key to years of success right?  Then why add something you don't need when your tune is not ideal. Just basic maintenance. 

Make less fuel in oil, less liquid volume in "add on" capture system. 

Our engines DO NOT BY DESIGN suck raw engine oil into intake via EGR or PCV scavenging.  Thats my point. 

Can't have it both ways but you can choose whatever you want to BELIEVE......FEELINGS again......