Cold Air Intake

I've bought so many CAI's over the years for my past owned vehicles that it isn't even funny....well funny of course that I did it...lol....anyhow, I never noticed any kind of difference when I installed them.  BUT, after running them for several months, and getting the idea that hey, I'm going to install the factory intake back on.  That's when I noticed the difference big time.  I've bought Airaid, K&N, you name it, I've bought and tried most of them along with drop in filters.  But this one company that caught my eye several months ago is S&B.  For 349 their CAI is very well built and to me quite impressive.  You can buy it with an oiled or non oiled filter.  I think I'm going to buy one.  What ta hell.  I like intake growl more then exhaust growl. For you old guys and gals out there like me, it will probably never sound like the old chevy 350 with the 4 barrel carb with the top of the air filter breather flipped over to expose the whole filter......that sound was amazing........yup, the quadrahog sucking in air big time......LOL...be well all and what do you think about it?  Here's the link to it....

https://www.sbfilters.com/cold-air-intakes/silverado-sierra-2500-3500-6-6-intake-75-5158?variant_id=780

Edited by Jettech1
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

I've bought so many CAI's over the years for my past owned vehicles that it isn't even funny....well funny of course that I did it...lol....anyhow, I never noticed any kind of difference when I installed them.  BUT, after running them for several months, and getting the idea that hey, I'm going to install the factory intake back on.  That's when I noticed the difference big time.  I've bought Airaid, K&N, you name it, I've bought and tried most of them along with drop in filters.  But this one company that caught my eye several months ago is S&B.  For 349 their CAI is very well built and to me quite impressive.  You can buy it with an oiled or non oiled filter.  I think I'm going to buy one.  What ta hell.  I like intake growl more then exhaust growl. For you old guys and gals out there like me, it will probably never sound like the old chevy 350 with the 4 barrel carb with the top of the air filter breather flipped over to expose the whole filter......that sound was amazing........yup, the quadrahog sucking in air big time......LOL...be well all and what do you think about it?  Here's the link to it....

https://www.sbfilters.com/cold-air-intakes/silverado-sierra-2500-3500-6-6-intake-75-5158?variant_id=780

I’m older too. When I started driving in 1973 even factory performance vehicles had restricted intake and exhaust. After flipping the air cleaner lid and opening the exhaust you could feel performance improvements. Next would be intake manifold and headers. I did all that. I even had a 76 nova and 74 impala I would dance a 454 between the two. Now with stock exhaust with multiple cats, mufflers and resonators you’re flowing without the rumble. Same with factory cold air. Up until turning 60 my trucks got the intake and exhaust treatment with tunes. Mostly canned tunes. My last new 14 GMC was rattle free, wind noise free. I actually returned the exhaust and intake to stock when I retired. Left the tune. Much easier to converse with the wife on trips. Adding the quiet made the trip more pleasant and the performance seemed the same. 

Edited by KARNUT
  • Like 1

I 100% agree, theirs nothing like the sound of a 4bbl with the lid flipped under full throttle. These CAI are not even close to that sound. I had a 75 impala 350 with a 4bbl, headers and straight exhaust going through straight through Thrust mufflers tailpipes exit under the rear bumper even my wife (girl friend at that time) loved it. She always had a smile on her face when I floored it. And also I put a B&M shift kit in it set up for street/strip it would chirp the tires shifting to 2nd. Loved that car. My dad loved the sound of the car but always complained about it when he would drive it sometimes as it was a ex-unmarked state police car and complained that when he drove it on the interstate no body would pass him when he would do the speed limit.

Edited by Silverado4x4
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Kjduvall said:

the best performing cold air intake ive ever used was on my old 4.8 1/2 ton, it was a procharger with 3.4in pulley.....

Too cool, literally...lol...I always wanted to put one on my 91 mustang LX 5.0L.  Those engines were built to take anything.  Everything in them was forged so it could stand tons of boost and bottle after bottle of nitrous.  I miss that car.  One of ones I really should not have ever sold.  Bought it brand new in 91.  Almost makes me sick thinking about when I sold it back in 94.  Talk about feeling like a total dumbass......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jettech1 said:

Too cool, literally...lol...I always wanted to put one on my 91 mustang LX 5.0L.  Those engines were built to take anything.  Everything in them was forged so it could stand tons of boost and bottle after bottle of nitrous.  I miss that car.  One of ones I really should not have ever sold.  Bought it brand new in 91.  Almost makes me sick thinking about when I sold it back in 94.  Talk about feeling like a total dumbass......

That’s the vanilla ice car. I had a 95 gt convertible 5spd. Last year of the 5.0 of that era

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pryme said:

That’s the vanilla ice car. I had a 95 gt convertible 5spd. Last year of the 5.0 of that era

Sweet!!!  I think in 96 they went to the 4.6L.  In 93 they stopped doing the forged pistons.  The 92's were the last model year that you could basically run or pump all you wanted in them and still have them being reliable with all forged internals...

• Like 1

It appears I need to get off my butt and order that S&B intake......ok ok, you all talked me into it...stop bending my arm....it hurts, it stings.......lol........but I'm telling you, the misses won't be happy...lol....nah, she's my partner in crime as I say.  I got lucky with her!!  Sweetest woman I've ever known in my life.  We all get lucky at times in our lives, but me, I'm super lucky and very appreciative.  I'll order that intake this week and let you all know what I think.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 9:34 AM, Silverado4x4 said:

I 100% agree, theirs nothing like the sound of a 4bbl with the lid flipped under full throttle. These CAI are not even close to that sound. I had a 75 impala 350 with a 4bbl, headers and straight exhaust going through straight through Thrust mufflers tailpipes exit under the rear bumper even my wife (girl friend at that time) loved it. She always had a smile on her face when I floored it. And also I put a B&M shift kit in it set up for street/strip it would chirp the tires shifting to 2nd. Loved that car. My dad loved the sound of the car but always complained about it when he would drive it sometimes as it was a ex-unmarked state police car and complained that when he drove it on the interstate no body would pass him when he would do the speed limit.

That's a great memory for me when you mentioned the shift kit.  So, back in 81 I think it was, I was working at a small local garage.  Auto shop we will say.  Anyhow this guy comes in and wants a shift kit installed in his Monte Carlo.  I can't remember the year it was but it had the TH350 in it.  So I dropped the oil pan and removed the valve body.  The thing that surprised me about the kit is that is was all higher tensioned springs.  I was like ok and learned a lot that day.  The higher tensioned springs gave a higher spring pressure, of which gave the clutches higher and more violent we will say overall liquid pressure from the pump.  So I actually did one of those mods on this guys Monte.  Afterwards I did take it for a quick test drive, and sure enough it would chirp second gear like at half throttle.  I fell in love....oh and his seats would turn 90' so you could turn and step out of the vehicle....Talk about my young ass thinking holy crap....I fell in love with it and always wanted one from there on out.

So my wife is pressuring me to go ahead and order the S&B intake...I know kind of weird right, having your wife pressuring you to buy something for a truck....She's amazing as you can tell.  So the cheapest I've been able to find it is 349.  My question to you all has anyone seen any great President Day sales or a better deal than 349?  They seem to be the same price no matter where I look.  Just always trying to find the best deal and if no one responds with a better deal in the next few hours I'm going to go ahead and grab it for 349.  Just thought I would ask.

I’ve always stayed away from oiled filters because you don’t need that oil atomizing into the intake. I say dry. 

when I raced MX we used oiled filters but that’s riding in the dirt non stop. 

majnly road going vehicles are fine with a dry element. 

• Like 2

I bought https://www.sbfilters.com/cold-air-intakes/silverado-sierra-1500-intake-75-5128?list=Search Listing&variant_id=431 for my 2020 trailboss 6.2 and it's been great, the noise from the intake is nice, throttle response improved and i've gone through 2 dry filters, they last about 10k miles.

enjoy it. AFE makes great intakes too.

just wish sb made one for my bmw :( afe does though.

11 hours ago, arkenzo said:

I bought https://www.sbfilters.com/cold-air-intakes/silverado-sierra-1500-intake-75-5128?list=Search Listing&variant_id=431 for my 2020 trailboss 6.2 and it's been great, the noise from the intake is nice, throttle response improved and i've gone through 2 dry filters, they last about 10k miles.

enjoy it. AFE makes great intakes too.

just wish sb made one for my bmw :( afe does though.

Thanks for your input.  I've had AFE in the past and they are excellent CAI's, pricey for sure but it's not like this S&B one is that cheap either.  I had to wait on ordering one because the delivery date was when we are going to be out town.  I'll order one next week and go with the dry filter.

15 hours ago, Pryme said:

I’ve always stayed away from oiled filters because you don’t need that oil atomizing into the intake. I say dry. 

when I raced MX we used oiled filters but that’s riding in the dirt non stop. 

majnly road going vehicles are fine with a dry element. 

Yeah I'll be going with the dry filter.  The more I thought about it the more it makes overall sense for my kind of driving and environment. 

• Like 1