I took my truck to the dealer for service last week and they washed it,the sun was out today and i noticed swirl marks all over the truck it looks terrible! I only hand wash with two buckets and take great care when washing it. I am beyond upset! I will be taking it to the dealer tomorrow, i hope they take care of it.☹️any suggestions on how i should handle this? 

Nothing a buff job can't fix. That's GM's soft and EPA's regulated paint for ya.

Just tell them what's up and see what happens. Hard for us to give you a script on what to say.

You have to be very specific these days to dealers not to wash the car. Both when you buy it and when servicing it. Those guys have no clue what they are doing and its normally just some kid using the same water and bucket between cars. I would absolutely not let the dealer try to buff it out but I would request that they log the damage in the file and them to pay for a professional to correct the paint. Don't let them make it worse.

It's going to be hard to get the dealer to take responsibility, you will probably have to take the hit and get it done with your own money though.

Edited by jaxcam02
  • Like 3

Dan is right. Don't let the dealer make it worse. You will need to get a professional  paint correction. You will have an uphill battle to get the dealer to pay a third party for this when "we have a body shop that can do this".

• Like 1

UPDATE

Took it to the dealer today they did take responsibility for it, of course they have someone who can take care of it so i told them that i wanted to take it to a place i used before and trust i told him the name of the shop and son of a bi..h if they don't contract with them to do their detailing! i will be talking to the detailer to make sure i am  getting paint correction not just a buff job. At least i feel better that i trust the shop. 

I rarely use the dealer, but I did have them put on file "DO NOT WASH THIS TRUCK". Every recall they laugh. I do my own corrections and chip repair. Takes awhile to prefect but well worth the effort. Most recent photo. 165K on the clock and 8 years old. Sits in the drive 24/7/365. 

IMG_0760.thumb.JPG.c17d2e4d160dffb5387bd385bfe3c59e.JPG

52 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I rarely use the dealer, but I did have them put on file "DO NOT WASH THIS TRUCK". Every recall they laugh. I do my own corrections and chip repair. Takes awhile to prefect but well worth the effort. Most recent photo. 165K on the clock and 8 years old. Sits in the drive 24/7/365. 

IMG_0760.thumb.JPG.c17d2e4d160dffb5387bd385bfe3c59e.JPG

Beautiful! I had them put a do not wash in my file!

• Like 1

I will never forget a couple years ago, I had just got the radiator replaced by the dealer. I remember them asking if I wanted the truck washed before I got it back, and I cheerfully said "Aw sure, what the heck!" because it was in the dead of winter.

I had just swapped the chrome grille with a body colored one a couple months ago, pretty much brand spankin' new paint. I got back from the dealer that evening, and as I was walking into the house my head whipped around so fast I nearly broke my neck. In the reflection of the lights in front of the house, you could see severe swirl marks all over the brand new grille.

I have not had my truck washed at the dealer since.

• Like 1

My dealers I use always ask before doing the wash. Even though I use car washes regularly with monthly pass dealerships wash bays look worn out. I don’t use them. My vehicles generally sparkle anyway so there’s no need.

• Like 1

I just bought a new black High Country . It was fresh off the transport truck. I ran my hand across the bottom half of the doors and it was covered in rail dust . I told them not to wash it and they didn't. I went right to the you spray it carwash with a bottle of iron remover and got rid of 90% of it. I then took a clay bar to it to get rid of the rest.

Bottom line if they would have washed it , it would be covered with scratches. 

• Like 2

I have to use a car wash during the Michigan winters and I get the ole Porter Cable polisher out to spiff it back up once I'm done in the spring. 2 or 3 hours and it's all good again. I always buy black vehicles so swirls stand out. I want with 303 graphene last fall with my F150 and it was still looking good when traded last month even after 3 months of running it through the automatic car wash. 

I polished the GMC last week during a sort of warm day and did the 303 graphene. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jus Cruisin said:

I have to use a car wash during the Michigan winters and I get the ole Porter Cable polisher out to spiff it back up once I'm done in the spring. 2 or 3 hours and it's all good again. I always buy black vehicles so swirls stand out. I want with 303 graphene last fall with my F150 and it was still looking good when traded last month even after 3 months of running it through the automatic car wash. 

I polished the GMC last week during a sort of warm day and did the 303 graphene. 

I also have a Porter Cable 7424xp dual action buffer.

Run it with 5.5" Lake Country flat pads.

For light swirls I've used Blackfire One Step with great success. 

I gave up on Meguiars and Mothers products. They don't work as good as other high end products like Blackfire, Griots and 3D to name a few.

On my new black High Country I'm going to use Griots Correcting Cream with blue Lake country pads. I'm still debating whether to coat with Blackfire ceramic coating or just wax it with some Blackfire Midnight Sun Ivory Caranuba Paste Wax. 

These products and a lot more are available at 

autogeek.net  

• Like 1