engine air filter/cleaner "with high capacity" or "without high capacity"

Kind of a dumb question. Per the manual, there are 2 air cleaners for our T1; "with high capacity 84121219 / A3244C" and "without high capacity 84121217 / A3246C" Mine is 2022 LTD LT 2.7T 8 speed. Which one should I buy, with high capacity or without? Thank you.

There is a very interesting You Tube on GMC Air Filters that you should take a look at. I made the mistake of buying a K & N Air filter replacement and was shocked at what I had learned, it's an eye opener that I recommend you see before making the mistake that I did.

19 minutes ago, Interleukin6 said:

Kind of a dumb question. Per the manual, there are 2 air cleaners for our T1; "with high capacity 84121219 / A3244C" and "without high capacity 84121217 / A3246C" Mine is 2022 LTD LT 2.7T 8 speed. Which one should I buy, with high capacity or without? Thank you.

Doesn't matter really.  2.7T would use the 84121217 filter unless it was a Trail Boss which has Z71 on it which adds the high capacity 84121219 filter instead.  If its dusty where you are, high capacity.  

As far as what comes with the high capacity filter already installed at the factory, all Z71 trucks (Trail Boss and ZR2 included), all 6.2 and all trucks ordered with VYU plow prep or BAQ Work Truck package.  

The air box itself are the same however, just the filter changes. 

Also, not the only time GM has done this either.  1999-2007 trucks offered both a standard and high capacity filter which they then dropped the standard capacity filter a few years after they stopped producing those trucks and just went to the high capacity from 2007-2018.  

My 2019 SLT X31 has the high capacity filter. I replaced mine with a NAPA gold filter. Just had my truck serviced, the service advisor said it was a good choice. Did the same with the cabin filter. 

The only difference is the high capacity filter has about a 3/4" piece of polyester fabric glued to the bottom of the paper filter. I replaced mine with an AEM Dry Flow filter. None of the aftermarket performance filters have this additional fabric on it.