Backup camera comes on when headlights come on

5 hours ago, RD Higgins said:

2019 Sierra.

I have 50,000 miles on truck and it just started with the backup camera and backup lights come

on when my headlights or fog lights come on .. Local GMC dealer is at a loss.

does anyone have any idea?  Thanks

This is certainly not what we like to hear, RD Higgins.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2019 GMC Sierra. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: RD Higgins/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

Do you notice if the camera comes on when braking only? I had corrosion on one of my taillight connectors making the camera come on when i was braking. Cleaned the connector and all is good.

• Like 1

I had the same issue with my 2020.  It would get worse after a rain.

It did start after I installed a brake light bar.  I removed it, hoping that would fix it but alas, it continued to be an issue.  Tech at dealer asked if I had ever removed my tailgate (I had... to install the light).  Seems like that was the issue.  It wasn't clicked in tight and water got in.

On 6/1/2023 at 7:15 AM, silveradosid said:

any mod's done to the truck, like led bulbs or diodes put in the bcm. is it only with the headlights or will it do it with just the park lights turned on

Only thing that has been done was trailer wiring harness installed on april 22 using the provided GM wiring harness the problem started on May 19th

On 6/2/2023 at 8:19 AM, jashaw said:

Do you notice if the camera comes on when braking only? I had corrosion on one of my taillight connectors making the camera come on when i was braking. Cleaned the connector and all is good.

No mine only comes on when lights come on

On 6/3/2023 at 2:42 PM, Rob Mugs said:

I had the same issue with my 2020.  It would get worse after a rain.

It did start after I installed a brake light bar.  I removed it, hoping that would fix it but alas, it continued to be an issue.  Tech at dealer asked if I had ever removed my tailgate (I had... to install the light).  Seems like that was the issue.  It wasn't clicked in tight and water got in.

I only added trailer wiring harness in April  Problem started on May 19

I had this problem in my 2018, try pulling the fuse for your drivers tail light running lights, if that solves it then put it back in, crawl under your truck and you’ll find a junction box beside the spare tire on the drivers side where the main wiring harness splits into drivers taillight / passengers / camera / trailer plug. Find the plug for the drivers tail light harness and un plug it. If that also makes the problem go away then order a new harness from that box to the drivers tail light. I bought them from the dealer for $30 Canadian. Had this happen to me 3 years in a row in the winter time. I finally ended up wrapping the connector in 1” wire loom and that seems to help. I believe the issue is corosion getting into the connector and causing a short from the drivers side running light to the camera. Hope this helps. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2023 at 4:22 AM, jonesalexryan said:

I had this problem in my 2018, try pulling the fuse for your drivers tail light running lights, if that solves it then put it back in, crawl under your truck and you’ll find a junction box beside the spare tire on the drivers side where the main wiring harness splits into drivers taillight / passengers / camera / trailer plug. Find the plug for the drivers tail light harness and un plug it. If that also makes the problem go away then order a new harness from that box to the drivers tail light. I bought them from the dealer for $30 Canadian. Had this happen to me 3 years in a row in the winter time. I finally ended up wrapping the connector in 1” wire loom and that seems to help. I believe the issue is corosion getting into the connector ive itand causing a short from the drivers side running light to the camera. Hope this helps. 

Thank you I'll give it a try this weekend 

One of the lighting circuits is back feeding the camera circuit. Plug corrosion, wires pinched together, dual filament bulbs, etc. I either missed or didn't see which particular lighting circuit was back feeding the camera. Isolate which lighting circuit is turning the camera on - parking lights, fog lights, reverse lights, etc. Be advised turning on the headlights will also turn on parking lights, same with fog lights. 

If I had to guess a close inspection of the parking light circuit at the rear where it is running near the camera or reverse light circuit will locate the problem. 

Look particularly close where the trailer wiring harness was installed. Something may have rubbed or corroded.

• 8 months later...

I'm having the same issue rear camera is coming on when I turn on headlights. When turn them off all works fine have a 2021 Colorado and yes All the light are LED Light have been on truck over a year and been on problem's Tried to reset radio disconnect battery Even unplug the lights because i now what they say about the LED light and still the same Camera good ,fuses good don't know about relay or light switch More idea please