No More Z71 Sport Package??

Hi all. 

Trying to order a 3500 long bed with the Z71 Sport Package and one of the dealers I've been working with is telling me that Chevy is no longer building trucks with that, or with the Midnight Edition package. Can anyone else confirm?

I was pretty dead set on that. I made a more chrome-heavy version of my build but I don't like it quite as much and it's more expensive for basically the same truck (with slightly fancier wheels).

Both of those options have been on periodic constraint since the 2024's came out. There have been issues with the animated headlamps.  I would find a new dealer. 

1 hour ago, kevin74 said:

Unless they meant a 3500 dual rear wheel, then they are full of crap. Just bought this 2024 crew cab long bed Z71 last week. 

20230622_055907.jpg

Well, that may be a Z71 but it can't be the "Sport Package" as those have the body colored bumpers and door handles and such. 

48 minutes ago, 64BAwagon said:

Both of those options have been on periodic constraint since the 2024's came out. There have been issues with the animated headlamps.  I would find a new dealer. 

Yeah, they told me they didn't know when they'd be able to place an order for one with that package, but I'm thinking…my truck's not gonna be ready for 4-6 months anyway, what if it's off restriction by the time mine's scheduled?

And I really don't care about animated headlamps, I would have them drop them in an instant if they could get me the package without them. There's an option of the Chevy website to remove the signature TAIL lamps, wonder if that would change things if I gave them a build with that selected…

3 minutes ago, AngelPhoenix said:

Well, that may be a Z71 but it can't be the "Sport Package" as those have the body colored bumpers and door handles and such. 

Oops totally missed the sport package - good catch! Now that I think about it, I wish mine had those as well.......oh well. 

It's puzzling how limited some of these packages are.  I like the Chrome Sport appearance package quite a lot too but I think you can only build one in black or white.  A blue one of those would look super sharp.

2 hours ago, AngelPhoenix said:

Yeah, they told me they didn't know when they'd be able to place an order for one with that package, but I'm thinking…my truck's not gonna be ready for 4-6 months anyway, what if it's off restriction by the time mine's scheduled?

And I really don't care about animated headlamps, I would have them drop them in an instant if they could get me the package without them. There's an option of the Chevy website to remove the signature TAIL lamps, wonder if that would change things if I gave them a build with that selected…

No, the tail light thing doesn't change anything. Mine was built without them and was given the $50 credit after the fact. If they have them, they will install them, if they don't they give you a $50 credit. Your dealer can "Place" an order but that doesn't mean anything until the constraints are lifted and they actually have an allocation available that week. If the constraints are lifted and they don't have an allocation, the order will still be pending. If they get an allocation and the constraints are still magically not there, then GM will accept your order and then you are just in a waiting pattern until it gets scheduled to be built. So the wait could take a very long time because no one knows the constraints until they are released each Thursday.

4 hours ago, Tater86 said:

No, the tail light thing doesn't change anything. Mine was built without them and was given the $50 credit after the fact. If they have them, they will install them, if they don't they give you a $50 credit. Your dealer can "Place" an order but that doesn't mean anything until the constraints are lifted and they actually have an allocation available that week. If the constraints are lifted and they don't have an allocation, the order will still be pending. If they get an allocation and the constraints are still magically not there, then GM will accept your order and then you are just in a waiting pattern until it gets scheduled to be built. So the wait could take a very long time because no one knows the constraints until they are released each Thursday.

Yeah I mean, I'm not in any particular rush and don't mind waiting. The issue is more that I get different info from nearly every dealer I talk to. That and the fact that only some of them are willing to actually make a deal with me (i.e come down a little from these ridiculous MSRPs) and some aren't (and even act surprised when I propose such a thing) is making this whole process exasperating. 

Edited by AngelPhoenix

On 6/22/2023 at 8:51 AM, AngelPhoenix said:

They wont allow anyone to cherry pick what they want on a package. The only reason the tail light situation is this way is due to supplier issues and they dont want that to stop production of the rest of that package. I suppose they could make the same call on the headlamps but from what I have heard the LED animated lamps are one of the biggest selling points of those packages. I keep hearing people dismiss the supplier shortages as though they should be over but its a real problem that isnt going away any time soon. Go to Walmart, theres still, even today, many items that arent is stock. 

The plant in Flint has been on 3 shifts with overtime since well before the launch. My truck came in within 90 days of my ordering it and part of that was waiting on my dealer to get an allocation for it. I got mine in April and I wasnt expecting it until July. I did have to take the running boards off the order but I found a set of step bars that I like even better for almost half the price. 

If you have time to wait you are in a good position, with some patience you can get exactly what you want. 

Edited by 64BAwagon

2 hours ago, 64BAwagon said:

They wont allow anyone to cherry pick what they want on a package. The only reason the tail light situation is this way is due to supplier issues and they dont want that to stop production of the rest of that package. I suppose they could make the same call on the headlamps but from what I have heard the LED animated lamps are one of the biggest selling points of those packages. I keep hearing people dismiss the supplier shortages as though they should be over but its a real problem that isnt going away any time soon. Go to Walmart, theres still, even today, many items that arent is stock. 

The plant in Flint has been on 3 shifts with overtime since well before the launch. My truck came in within 90 days of my ordering it and part of that was waiting on my dealer to get an allocation for it. I got mine in April and I wasnt expecting it until July. I did have to take the running boards off the order but I found a set of step bars that I like even better for almost half the price. 

If you have time to wait you are in a good position, with some patience you can get exactly what you want. 

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. 

Yeah, no rush at all. My current vehicle will of course lose some value while I'm waiting, but that also gives me more time to save up and (probably more than) offset that loss.

Hi all!

I've been looking into ordering a 3500 long bed with the Z71 Sport Package, but one of the dealers I've been in contact with informed me that Chevy is no longer producing trucks union with that package, as well as the Midnight Edition package. Can anyone else verify this information?

I was really set on getting that specific configuration. I did explore a version with more chrome, but I'm not as thrilled about it, and it's actually more expensive for essentially the same truck (except for slightly fancier wheels).

They are unicorns and supply constraints have made them difficult to order.  Ive been trying to get an order picked on one since January 2022.  I have recently seen two red 24 2500's Z71 Sport show up on autotrader.  They are out there but good luck.

On 6/27/2023 at 7:35 AM, dal1980 said:

They are unicorns and supply constraints have made them difficult to order.  Ive been trying to get an order picked on one since January 2022.  I have recently seen two red 24 2500's Z71 Sport show up on autotrader.  They are out there but good luck.

Wait, you've been waiting for a Z71 Sport Package HD truck for a year and a half?

11 hours ago, AngelPhoenix said:

Wait, you've been waiting for a Z71 Sport Package HD truck for a year and a half?

Yup, original order placed January 2022, got cancelled from GM to re-order as a 2023 in August 2022.  Stop order on 2023's happened in November 2022 for 2024 changeover.  I havent re-ordered a 24 yet due to to stupid interest rates.  So I am waiting now for the market to soften to lessen the financial blow to my trade-in depreciation and increased new truck cost.  I am fortunate in that I dont need a truck for business or as a daily.  So, I can wait this out a bit longer if need be.

I am seeing inventory improve and seeing dealers that are willing to deal, a little bit.  I am hoping to find the truck Im looking for now that Ive actually seen Z71 Sports land at dealerships.  Well, 2 of them anyway....which im sure there is more out there than that.