RCSB 2024!

Grumpy Bear

Next move will be killing it off in the US a second time due to “poor sales”. I admit there’s already a narrow market for that configuration, but only offering it with one engine, in one trim level hurts it even more.

21 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Next move will be killing it off in the US a second time due to “poor sales”. I admit there’s already a narrow market for that configuration, but only offering it with one engine, in one trim level hurts it even more.

Thier version of "I told ya so". :rollin:

RCSB 6.2 Supercharged Cadillac motor :) Six speed. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

I haven't followed the 2.7 since it first came out but it sounded promising.  Has it been problematic?  It's going to take a major event to retire my '15 V6.  The most significant repair I've had in several years is the battery in my key fob died!!  

2 hours ago, Donstar said:

I haven't followed the 2.7 since it first came out but it sounded promising.  Has it been problematic?  It's going to take a major event to retire my '15 V6.  The most significant repair I've had in several years is the battery in my key fob died!!  

@customboss had a Malibu I believe with a Ecotec 2.4 and with his expert care it was truly faultless as were the majority of these motors in small light cars. 3K lbs., with small frontal areas. That same motor in Terrains and Equinox SUVs were highly problematic.  5K pounds and roughly twice the frontal area with less favorable aerodynamics. Dizzy an example of just one that also received exceptional care that failed due to design issues. Only one of thousands of units dotting the back rows at car lots and dealer auctions and lawsuits galore.  Same issues that the Malibu had. The difference? Stress!

Stress is what happens to small motors under big boost and asked frequently to produce it. There is a reason they don't use a .22 to go elephant hunting. Physics! 

This particular tiny over pressurized popcorn machine is quite complicated. Cooling and oiling systems to example. It sits in a machine with more frontal area than the K2 and at larger weights that the lightest K2's. (Remember they are just bringing back the RCSB). GM likes to see how close they can get to the edge of the cliff and don't mind a few falling over. 

Now has this been proved out in practice. I honestly don't know. It hasn't been around long enough. What I do know is the GM's track record when they complicate a hammer is not very good. They haven't got ring sealing figured out yet. AFM/DFM has been riddled with issues. I do know I'm not working on it and I do know my way around a wrench. 

I do expect I could make one go the distance. I just won't roll that set of dice until I absolutely have no affordable options left. They took away my V6 choice making a much smaller motor with essentially the same power for CAFE/EPA that hasn't proven in practice to be more economical for a driver like me.  I'm taking away their sale to me choice. 🤫 I cast my economic vote NO on this referendum. 

It's a blind vote. All are free to chose as you see fit. :P

• Like 2

Good arguments and I'd need to do more research if I was looking at at another gas burning truck.  I do recall you and I defending the V6 several years ago against substantial protest from those suggesting only a V8 belongs in a pickup. 🙂   My truck has just south of 65k miles so there will need to be some significant motivation for me to change.   I saw a Rivian out in the wild yesterday and it looked great!  It was leaving a big box store with a healthy load of DIY building material in the back! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

Good arguments and I'd need to do more research if I was looking at at another gas burning truck.  I do recall you and I defending the V6 several years ago against substantial protest from those suggesting only a V8 belongs in a pickup. 🙂   My truck has just south of 65k miles so there will need to be some significant motivation for me to change.   I saw a Rivian out in the wild yesterday and it looked great!  It was leaving a big box store with a healthy load of DIY building material in the back! 

We did and we will. It's a great engine that left too soon. Had the potential to be the next GM 3800. :) 

In essence the 4.3 is a sbc 350 less cylinders #3 & 6.  Same bore and stroke as the V-8, bore spacing and deck height is the same as the V-8.   Many internal parts are interchangeable as are accessory parts. Given the sbc 350's revered and deserved status, it's no wonder the 4.3 didn't fall far from the tree.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, garagerog said:

In essence the 4.3 is a sbc 350 less cylinders #3 & 6.  Same bore and stroke as the V-8, bore spacing and deck height is the same as the V-8.   Many internal parts are interchangeable as are accessory parts. Given the sbc 350's revered and deserved status, it's no wonder the 4.3 didn't fall far from the tree.

:thumbs:

GM 4.3L V6 EcoTec3 LV3 Engine Specs, Problems, Reliability, oil - In-Depth Review (motorreviewer.com)