LT Trail Boss - Poor Value?

Egghaus

I am looking to replace my 2011 LTZ and think the TB is the best looking trim on the lineup. However when configuring trucks online it seems like the TB is a very poor value in comparison to the others. Compared to a standard Z71 the only differences I can see are slightly better monotube Ranchos, the lift, blacked out trim and unique wheel/tire options. I don't know what pricing is like in the US, but here in Canada it's only $2k more to configure an LTZ Z71, and IMO you're getting alot more equipment on the LTZ. This is comparing both trucks with a 6.2L. I feel like there used to be a much larger price jump from LT to LTZ.

LTZ way better value, everytime i see a TB I think the dude just doesnt know any better....your paying a premium for something you can do better....

AT4 is a different story....

'Value' of a trim level always depends on what options you want/require. 

Higher trim is a better value IF enough of the extra options are ones you would have added to the lower trim.

Add enough of them to the lower trim and the higher trim becomes a better value. 

If only interested in adding some -- then the extra's stuff on the higher trim is just crap you didn't want. 

All this was a lot easier to compare in brochures that listed the 'standard', 'optional', and 'not available' info each trim side-by-side in a chart.

I find this much more difficult (and frustrating) to do with the 'design/build' configurators.  

Fleet order guide can help identify differences.

The two major sticking points for me is that you cannot get the auto dimming inside rearview mirror unless you option towing mirrors, and no availability of a power passenger seat of any kind. I believe both these items were available on the LT trim in the previous generation. Absolutely ridiculous IMO for a vehicle with a base price of $70k CAD, and over $80k with options. There are many 2023 ZR2s sitting on the lots here, makes more sense to buy one of those over a TB if you can swing a deal.

I stole my last Trail Boss in early September. Now mine is a very "bare bones analog" type of truck compared to a LT, LTZ or a ZR2. 2024s are here. I bet you could negotiate a deal on a 2023. You don't have to buy local if you're going to get a smokin deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah the TB is a pretty poor value compared to the LTZ.  I bought mine back before the shortage and GM was offering big incentives.  You could buy one below MSRP and get $5K off from GM.  Much better value back then..... now if I want to replace it I gotta spend $8K more than I did when I bought my 21.  No thanks. 

Mechanically, the trail boss is a Z71 with a 2" lift and slightly different CV's.  You are much better served by doing a LTZ Z71, especially if you plan on doing suspension work.

Edited by Gangly

you can't get the single best engine in all half tons in the LTZ so that's poor value imo and the LT TB 2.7 is the chicken dinner, and actually the custom with your own lift is also, the 2-spd transfer case useless, the gaudy black accents and shat 18" duratracs also need to go, the TB is the easy button though but I think non TB and diy is better then you leave off the mud holding service inhibiting skid plates that are useless for everyone as no one takes these trucks rock crawling, too expensive so it's muddy forestry, farms, snow etc. so less is more (no skids), skip the heavy bed liner, rubber bed mat is the only thing you need for protection and hold yer junk still, sides will never rust out, scratches in actual pain color are cool...don't add the weight and cost

hope that helps, the 6.2 has lifters and is an absolute hog on fuel, an absolute anchor over the front axle for handling on and off-road, and is peak of 20th century engineering at best and you're buying a 21st century truck where you should be looking at peak of 21st century engineering...2.7t baby, that's the only way to fly

Edited by 4banger

On 11/28/2023 at 7:24 PM, 4banger said:

you can't get the single best engine in all half tons in the LTZ so that's poor value imo and the LT TB 2.7 is the chicken dinner, and actually the custom with your own lift is also, the 2-spd transfer case useless, the gaudy black accents and shat 18" duratracs also need to go, the TB is the easy button though but I think non TB and diy is better then you leave off the mud holding service inhibiting skid plates that are useless for everyone as no one takes these trucks rock crawling, too expensive so it's muddy forestry, farms, snow etc. so less is more (no skids), skip the heavy bed liner, rubber bed mat is the only thing you need for protection and hold yer junk still, sides will never rust out, scratches in actual pain color are cool...don't add the weight and cost

hope that helps, the 6.2 has lifters and is an absolute hog on fuel, an absolute anchor over the front axle for handling on and off-road, and is peak of 20th century engineering at best and you're buying a 21st century truck where you should be looking at peak of 21st century engineering...2.7t baby, that's the only way to fly

I will respectfully disagree on a few opinions here:

1.  The 2-Speed Transfer case is not useless, its a lifesaver when needed.  It has saved my a$$ a few times when trying to get heavy trailers over certain obstacles that 4-HI just spun the tires on.  For controlled power delivery, there is no substitute for 4Low and I'll never own a 4X4 without that option again.

2.  The 18" Wheels are superior by ALL engineering aspects for off road driving when compared to the 20's or 22's.  The increased sidewall makes a significant difference in tractability, control, and comfort.  The first thing I did was remove my 20's and put 18's on, and the difference was night and day when aired down and off road.

3.  I have beat the SNOT out of the skid plates on this truck.  Yeah, it would be nice if they were beefier, but they are definitely better than nothing at all.  I would probably be on my second or third transfer case if not for the skid plates.  Also, my skid plates are not interfering with my vehicle maintenance in any way, shape, or form, so I am not real certain about the "service inhibiting" part, but then again I don't have a 2.7 so there might be something there I am unaware of.

If your looking for the "bang for the buck" off road GM truck, finding a Custom model combined with the Z71 package (if its possible) would be ideal.   If you are going to be doing suspension anyway, there is no reason to pay for the TB.

• Like 3

On 11/28/2023 at 6:24 PM, 4banger said:

I disagree with several things you wrote within regards to the Trail Boss. Ganly summed it up nicely up above within regards to tires/wheels, two speed transfer case, & skid plates. Not adding a bed liner too me lacks common sense. And the reason a lot of us who have trail bosses don't like the chrome that's included in a lot of the  other models-The same goes for those of you that feel that the LTZ is a better value. Nothing is a better value if you don't like it. Some customers like chrome others don't. I have about all the options available on the LTZ. 

Edited by MT Duramax 3.0
  • Like 1

Yes the appearance of the Trail Boss is what draws me in, I love the black accents, too much chrome on the LTZ for me. I also happen to like the fake hood scoop, and the 18" wheels are the best looking wheel across the entire lineup IMO. I don't know why GM didn't keep in line with the two previous generation trucks where the Z71 option got you body colour bumpers and grille regardless of trim level. The Trail Boss should be an option package, not a trim level. GM makes the truck I want, it's called the Sierra AT4, I just prefer the Chevy styling.

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2023 at 10:05 PM, Egghaus said:

Yes the appearance of the Trail Boss is what draws me in, I love the black accents, too much chrome on the LTZ for me. I also happen to like the fake hood scoop, and the 18" wheels are the best looking wheel across the entire lineup IMO. I don't know why GM didn't keep in line with the two previous generation trucks where the Z71 option got you body colour bumpers and grille regardless of trim level. The Trail Boss should be an option package, not a trim level. GM makes the truck I want, it's called the Sierra AT4, I just prefer the Chevy styling.

Got this one 3 months ago 2023, killer deal. Not a lot of options but I like it.

2023 Silverado 1.jpg

2023 Silverado.jpg

I purchased a 2021 a couple of weeks ago. It was an LT TB. It has everything I want, including leather interior, and nothing that I don’t. Heck, I had to look hard to find one without a moonroof. It did come with black snowflake 20’s though. I wanted 18’s. But I have to admit, they are growing on me. I do wish I had a little more sidewall though. it came with 295/55 R20 Trail Grapplers that will need to be replaced in a few months. 

CDE04D1E-9068-4C38-995E-0900888B5E8C.jpeg

424E5D5F-CD54-4DDA-881C-C4B2B4284265.jpeg

Edited by CobraAvitek