Tonneau Cover - How to Vent in Hot Weather

We get hot where I am. I don't like the idea of a sealed 150F degree bed. Surely that can't be good for anything you might have in the bed, including a rug or mat. I'm curious to know what, if anything, you all might do to vent that heat under your Tonneau, while driving and/or parked?

For example, I understand Retrax can be opened to any point along the track, but what about others that don't include that option? Have any of you come up with mods to accommodate for such venting? Like, has anyone come up with a way to drive with only one panel of a Bakflip open? Do those of you with multifunction tailgates just leave your inner tailgates open? Any constructive thoughts or suggestions welcome.

If you think this is a stupid question/topic, please feel free to not leave a comment, and just scroll on by. 😏

Edited by MrLeadFoot

Have you actually done any measurements of temps in the bed? I'm not sure it would get anywhere near that warm.

I've left stuff in the bed of my truck year-round, under the hard, black-colored tonneau through all kinds of weather. I've never had any issues with anything prematurely breaking down, melting, etc. 

1 hour ago, GETGONE said:

OMG, WHAT ABOUT THE ENGINE AND INTERIOR!!!! How will they ever survive????

You mean engines that are designed to handle 250+ degrees on a regular basis, and interiors made of materials designed to withstand extreme weather changes, and can also be vented by cracking a window? I'm thinking of all the things people might transport that aren't designed for extreme heat like musical instruments, household goods, etc. Again, feel free to not comment and scroll on by... 🙄

2 hours ago, ember1205 said:

Have you actually done any measurements of temps in the bed? I'm not sure it would get anywhere near that warm.

I've left stuff in the bed of my truck year-round, under the hard, black-colored tonneau through all kinds of weather. I've never had any issues with anything prematurely breaking down, melting, etc. 

I used to live in the tri-state area near you, and while it got humid, it never got anywhere near the heat we get where I am now, and it gets hot for days on end in the summer. I've not measured, because I don't have a tonneau yet, but on 110 degree days, our roads are over 120 and they are not sealed. I wouldn't be surprised if the inside of a bed covered with a black hardcover tonneau easily hits 135+, and probably higher. Sure, I would plan on not carrying ice or plants on days like those, but I was wondering what some people in hot climates like mine do, if anything, when transporting stuff under tonneau, or just to let the bed breathe in hot weather. I'm trying to decide on a tonneau that best meets my needs, hence my question.

Edited by MrLeadFoot

I live in Texas. I’ve had all kinds of bed covers. An avalanche now. I’ve had a cooler with ice and drinks in the bed. I don’t treat items in the bed any differently except I stay out direct sunlight if possible.

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

I live in Texas. I’ve had all kinds of bed covers. An avalanche now. I’ve had a cooler with ice and drinks in the bed. I don’t treat items in the bed any differently except I stay out direct sunlight if possible.

So, no issues keeping it closed in your summer heat? What kind of cover to you have? 

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Unfortunately, I sometimes get heavy rains, too. From what I can see, opening that cover when it's wet will be like pouring water straight into the bed. I guess that would certainly cool off a hot bed, huh? Thanks for trying to help, though, I appreciate the effort. 

• Like 1

Just what are you going to keep in the bed 24/7? I lived in Florida for nearly 30 years. Always had a truck and had some sort of tonneau on them most of them. The entire state of Florida is south of you.......uv index 11+ for months. Had Bedrugs in most of them, as well. The first one of those was in my 1999 F150 Lightning that also had a tonneau. I figured you would have figured out heat isn't an issue with my replies on your other thread. 

6 hours ago, MrLeadFoot said:

So, no issues keeping it closed in your summer heat? What kind of cover to you have? 

I’ve had all kinds, even a full shell. An avalanche now. No problem. We had 30 days over 100 degrees this year.

Edited by KARNUT