B&W Tow and Stow for Multi-Pro Tailgate - Will it Hit Inner Tailgate?

I am considering one these hitches but have heard differing opinions on wether or not the inner tailgate will hit the hitch when in down position and ball mounted in "stowed" position.

The claims I have read were about a heavier person (285#) would cause some flex downward on the inner tailgate when entering truck bed and that is when it would hit, given the clearance is only approx. 1/2" when inner tailgate is lowered.

Can anyone who has this exact hitch on a 2500/3500 with Multi-Pro tailgate share their experiences on this subject?

i'd sure hate to install and then hit my inner tailgate when lowering inner tailgate and stepping into truck bed carrying something heavy (ex. Yeti ice chest full of ice and drinks; personal tool box, etc).

Thanks!

Edited by SoCal Angler

My trucks height with the trailers tounge adjusted to run level with the b&m tow and stow pinned in the 3rd hole down, does not hit the main and mid gates down. That's with no trailer hooked up.

I had my wife put her fingers between the angled slope and the mid gate, while I stood and jumped on the mid gate step, enough to make the bed to move. I'm on the highside of 280# and still married. 

• Haha 2

Found a picture of where I run it. Don't even think about it anymore...

Screenshot_20240218_222845_Gallery.thumb.jpg.2407e5477c1cf5bb897c662e48a61550.jpg

ETA...I never remove it, but I have found that I need to grease the pins. Truck lives in the dirt and mud.

Edited by gemarsh
Added info
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, gemarsh said:

Found a picture of where I run it. Don't even think about it anymore...

Screenshot_20240218_222845_Gallery.thumb.jpg.2407e5477c1cf5bb897c662e48a61550.jpg

ETA...I never remove it, but I have found that I need to grease the pins. Truck lives in the dirt and mud.

In that position the inner tailgate would hit if lowered, correct?

39 minutes ago, gemarsh said:

My trucks height with the trailers tounge adjusted to run level with the b&m tow and stow pinned in the 3rd hole down, does not hit the main and mid gates down. That's with no trailer hooked up.

I had my wife put her fingers between the angled slope and the mid gate, while I stood and jumped on the mid gate step, enough to make the bed to move. I'm on the highside of 280# and still married. 

That’s pretty brave of your wife to trust her fingers with that test!!

Were the hitch balls tucked under in the stowed position during this test of bravery?!

2 hours ago, SoCal Angler said:

Were the hitch balls tucked under in the stowed position during this test of bravery?!

Negative 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

I too have that one. Honestly I do think if I had a Yeti in hand and jumped on the step that I could get it to hit. Everything has its limits. 

That's my concern...given the heavier weights when boarding....it may bottom out and dent the tailgate. I like the the design and stow function and it allows me to use my multi-pro gate quickly and easily. 

I can use the lock out the inner tailgate function if overly concerned each time I have a hitch ball attached, but that defeats the purpose of having the gate and makes it much more cumbersome to use it.

You all must be young.

Save your knees. Lift your cooler and toss it into the bed with both gates down, lower the midgate step down and continue to climb into bed and drag the cooler to wherever. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

They are great. We have 5 of these on trucks, probably have 400k+ miles since these multi gates came out and haven't had one hit yet. We don't put them in the stow position. We pull trailers and load the beds with construction stuff nearly every day so we leave the ball ready to hook up to a trailer at all times. 

I highly recommend, should be standard hitch for these trucks. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Another JR said:

This one works with the multipro without the inner gate hitting. It’s a fixed 6 inch drop. I have one. 

https://www.northerntool.com/products/ultra-tow-heavy-duty-forged-steel-ball-mount-class-iv-6in-drop-17-000lb-tow-weight-9-1-2in-shank-32712

How does that one not hit? … it appears to stick out approx 2”-3” past end of hitch. The BW stick out past end of hitch approx 1”-2” (and is angled to reduce how much sticks out) and inner tailgate  just clears

I can send a picture in a bit. At the time this contact issue was first being talked about on the forum a few years ago, this was the first ball mount that was identified that didn’t have the contact issue. The reviews on the Northern Tool site also note that this works with the multipro tailgate. 

Edited by Another JR
Clarity
  • Thanks 1

Here’s a photo. The clearance is about 5/8 inch without any weight on the tailgate.  I think if a 220 lbs person stood on the step and jumped it might hit, but it certainly protects you from an accidental deployment of the inner tailgate with the ballmount in place. Clearance from the top of the ball to the gate is about 3.5 inches unloaded, which should protect against striking most trailer couplers. 

I would say this ball mount is good protection for an accidental deployment, but marginal if someone heavy wants to be stepping on the inner tailgate step when the ballmount is installed. 

24F233EE-B76A-4D9E-94EA-D7DB921CB69C.jpeg

• Thanks 1