Blacked out the upper chrome piece on my hood this weekend

Had been wanting to do this since I got the truck.  Denali grille is plenty of chrome, the upper strip on the hood line never looked right.  Researched all the spray-latex hyperdip stuff.  Watched the videos and finally got some time this weekend to do it.

The finish isn't great - it's probably more like a baked enamel look than the gloss paint, but from 10' away you can't tell.  Only cost $28 for 2 cans of the stuff.

Overall I'm happy with it.  Now that I see what it looks like, I might have the same piece and the mirrors wrapped as well as the lower chrome fascia below the bumper.  Never liked that all chrome.

Anyhow let me know what you think.  Pretty simple afternoon project in the garage.  Just waited 25 mins between coats so it took awhile to get 8 coats.

Before and after

Truck before.jpg

truck after.jpg

• Like 4

Just now, dieselfan1 said:

Shame on you.

from the Chrome Mafia.

I would have left it alone.

Looks OK from 10 ft away?????

I love the truck but everyone I talk to thinks the chrome is too much.  The Hyperdip was a cheap "let's see how it looks first" option.

I'm as picky as anyone, I keep the truck immaculate.  So yeah, it' looks good from 10' away, closer than that, you can tell it's not a factory painted finish.  I'll leave it for awhile and see how it holds up.  I might go ahead and have a vinyl wrap done professionally if it doesn't hold up.  Just sharing my project here for everyone.  I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but for $28, I think the overall look is improved.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shudog said:

I love the truck but everyone I talk to thinks the chrome is too much.  The Hyperdip was a cheap "let's see how it looks first" option.

I'm as picky as anyone, I keep the truck immaculate.  So yeah, it' looks good from 10' away, closer than that, you can tell it's not a factory painted finish.  I'll leave it for awhile and see how it holds up.  I might go ahead and have a vinyl wrap done professionally if it doesn't hold up.  Just sharing my project here for everyone.  I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but for $28, I think the overall look is improved.

It looks way better IMHO. Not a chrome fan.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

Some people don't like my red brake calipers.

20230504_185719.jpg

Calipers are fine, but those JC Whitney looking wheels are another story. Those plastic center caps just scream cheap looking 😄😋

• Like 1