How many miles do you have on your 6.0 liter motor?

01' gmc 2500.

Just under 142k. Runs great. No problems reported from the previous owner(only owner). The only thing wrong with it is exhaust manifold gasket leak. Getting fixed right now.

200000 miles and just now my first problem. low oil pressure at start till warm than good to go. replaced altornator that is it. I have slowed down but trust me there has not been one easy mile on this truck. I still pull 12000 lb gooseneck trailers anytime i need. This is the greatest motor and truck i have ever owned

What octane gas are you using? I see some high mileage trucks having knock sensors replaced. I'm wondering if its because they are using lower octane gas, and the knock sensor is getting more use, rather than running higher octane.

knock senors get water in them which cause them to go bad :thumbs:

I was just curious as to how many miles some of you have on your 6.0 liter motors without any problems. With the cold engine knock etc, it would interesting to here how many miles you have on this motor. Thanks for your input.

Oil pressure regulator stuck open at 104,000 miles (see my "Lost Oil Pressure 2500HD" post). 2004 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L gas. Prior to that I loved my truck. It has a 6" lift w/ Bilstein shocks, Gibson exhaust, and a Hypertech chip. I used it to tow about 5,000lbs once a month, with no difficulties. Full documentation of all oil changes every 3 - 4k miles.

Water pump at 50k miles, Left wheel bearing at 70k miles, Steering pump 75k miles.

The incidentals, like the window motor, air conditioning fan controls, center console lid, hood latch, and tail gate, all fell apart within 40k miles. I didn't beat the truck up - in fact the supposedly sensitive Alpine audio system still works perfectly after 104k miles.

Oh well, now it will never be the same. Not too happy with GM! A supposedly "HD" engine shouldn't have a catastrophic failure at 100,000 miles!post-74806-1270480685_thumb.jpg

post-74806-1270480685_thumb.jpg

Edited by mdo193

• 8 months later...

218K on my work truck and 53000 on my personal both have been pretty good. the work truck was not well taken care of before i got it so it knocks pretty bad but i'd drive it to california no problem.

Checking back in to report 223K on my '01 2500HD 5-speed, replaced 2 slave cylinders, alternator, fuel pump, brake MC. It's been a great truck

I love my 6 liter like everyone else, but damn if they aren't hogs. Gonna pick on you 2500hdee...Quick number game for you. 223k miles at a GENEROUS 14mpg equals just under 16000 gallons of fuel run through that bad boy. So at a CONSERVATIVE $2.00 per gallon, you've spent over $32,000 dollars in gas over your trucks life. I played the same game with my truck. 94000 miles and 6800 gallons of fuel burned (per the digital display). Kinda sucks looking at things that way...

2002 with 95000miles,bought it from my brother. So far no problems ,althought the usuall steering clunk and my passenger window dosent work.

I had the same problem so I replaced the motor and regualtor in the door. Worked for about 4 months and went out again. I finally got my meter out and found the probelm was not the motor or regulator but the plug thats plugs into the motor. Went to the junk yard and found one in a Avalanche that looked like it would work. Paid 5 bucks for it and spliced it right in. Been working perfect for over a year now.

I have a 2000 GMC 2500 with the 6.0. My fuel pump whines something awful so I'm sure I will have to fix that soon but that's normal for a truck with 120,000 on it. I had the loud chatter when it's cold but it still runs like a top. My truck would not start with the key the other day and I had to use the remote start so maybe my ignition is going out. Not sure about that one. I love my truck. I'm always hooked to a trailer and alot of the time it's a 25' GN loaded with hay or tractors. The 6.0 is in my opinion the BEST gas motor out there. Only other truck I would have would be a diesel.

Well I only have a mere 6,700 but it will be increasing rapidly from here on out as the secondary vehicle has died and this is all I have for transport now.......I suppose It could be worse.

1989 honda accord 210,000 miles RIP

Edited by GMC2500DREW

YOU MEAN TO TELL ME YOU GOT RID OF AN 1889 HONDA ACCORD?!?! Do you have any idea how rare that is?!?!?!?!? :cheers:

Thanks for reminding me :cool: I sold my 89 Accord Coupe (that I bought new) in 2003, but I did so to buy my mother-in-laws 93 Accord SE sedan :D. The 4-door was a better fit for me, and had 93k miles at the time. Have ~135k miles now. Love the 93, and still have it garaged. Rebuilt the front end, and have a few projects for it this winter. It's a spare for us, and will probably go to my oldest when he's ready (maybe). Excellent quality car, and I really prefer it over the 89.

Edited by music