Multifunction switch

I have a problem with my 2000 Jimmy that I believe is related to the turn signal multifunction switch in the steering column. Although the turn signal lights (and the indicators on the dash) appear to work correctly, the clicking noise from the flasher unit seems to come on at random times. Since I have replaced the flasher and not seen any improvement, I am fairly certain that this is a problem with the multifunction switch.

I am wondering how easy or difficult this part is to replace. The dealer quoted $400-600 including part and labor, which I would like to avoid paying. Can I get at the switch with out pulling the steering wheel? I have loosened the plastic collar around the steering column, and it looks like that may get me into where I can see more clearly, although I am at a loss for how to get the bottom half of the collar completely off because of the tilt wheel lever.

Any advice?

My best advise to you would be to pay the dealer to do it. Its only a 1.5 hour job so the majority of the price you were quoted was parts. Usally bout $100 labour and $400 for the part. Its a big job if you dont know what you doing but simple when you have done a few of them.

I replaced the turn signal switch on a 96 s10 Blazer a few months back due to no brake lights. I ended up buying one at a salvage yard for about $70.00 and installed it myselfwithout pulling the steering wheel.

Once you get the upper and lower cover off the steering console there are 3 (I think) torx screws that hold the switch in place. The ones on the top are accessible, the one on the bottom is the only one that will give you trouble. I used a torx bit from a nut driver set I had (bit only 1 inch long) and turned it with a small crescent wrench. This will allow you to remove without pulling the steering wheel.

Thanks for the info. I did manage to get mine apart, and had found pretty much the same thing you described. I also had trouble with one of the torx bolts, but finally realized I could turn the wheel such that the bolt was much more easily accessible. I managed to find the part online for about $150, but that's still less than half what the dealer wanted so not a bad deal.

Unfortunately, in the process of removing the switch to get a better look at it, the Passlock security feature somehow enabled itself. Based on what I know about it, this seems strange since I did not make or break any of the electrical connections on the vehicle and did nothing at all near the ignition switch.

I think the ignition switch may have gone bad again (the dealer replaced it once shortly after I bought the vehicle six months ago). Has anybody else had trouble with this part on these vehicles?

• 8 months later...
I have a problem with my 2000 Jimmy that I believe is related to the turn signal multifunction switch in the steering column.  Although the turn signal lights (and the indicators on the dash) appear to work correctly, the clicking noise from the flasher unit seems to come on at random times.  Since I have replaced the flasher and not seen any improvement, I am fairly certain that this is a problem with the multifunction switch.

I am wondering how easy or difficult this part is to replace.  The dealer quoted $400-600 including part and labor, which I would like to avoid paying.  Can I get at the switch with out pulling the steering wheel?  I have loosened the plastic collar around the steering column, and it looks like that may get me into where I can see more clearly, although I am at a loss for how to get the bottom half of the collar completely off because of the tilt wheel lever.

Any advice?

I have a 1999 that is doing the same thing with the random clicking.Have you found the problem?

Thanks

I would recommend you change your flasher first since it's the cheap fix. If it doesn't fix it you're looking at doing the turn signal switch.

I just did my turn signal switch this week. Found the part on eBay and did the work myself. Not too bad if you take your time and follow the book. I did remove my steering wheel though, not sure how in the heck you guys did it without removing the wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2000 Blazer and all the brake lignts but the top one stoped working. I found the problem to be the hazard switch. The dealer told me i had to replace the multifunction switch to take care of the problem. Were you able to replace the hazard switch without doing that?

I have a 2000 Blazer and all the brake lignts but the top one stoped working.  I found the problem to be the hazard switch.  The dealer told me i had to replace the multifunction switch to take care of the problem.  Were you able to replace the hazard switch without doing that?

The hazard switch is part of the turn signal/multifunction assembly. It all gets replaced together. If you want a picture send me an email to: [email protected]

Archived