Push Button Start won't let me take control.

2020 GMC 1500 SLT with 27K miles. I can start the truck with the app and/or the key fob remote start. When I get in truck I put my foot on brake and push the button and It won't let me take over.  Engine is running, But I can't shift, I can't do anything other then turn the truck off with the App/ or remote.  I repeat to get the same result.  I try to just start truck from the push button and nothing.   This has happened several times ( 6 times in less than a year).  Sometimes I get learning remote please wait.  but nothing happens.  I have to walk away from the truck and I wait for an hour or so and then truck works normally.  I've had truck to dealer 3 or 4 times now.  They can't duplicate the problem.  We have replace key fob batteries twice now with the same issue. Dealer is at a loss and so am I.  Dealer has checked for software updates and has reprogramed the truck.  Nothing has helped, and there is nothing like wondering of your $60K truck is going to let you go to work.  

Anyone got any Ideas?   

Do you ever get the "no remote detected" to come up on the dic?

When everything is working correctly, leave the remote away from the vehicle and try starting with the push button. Does it say "no remote detected "?

When it fails to start during a remote/app start, will the remote, unlock the doors?

When it does fail, have you tried putting the remote in the specified holder for the remote, depending on center consule design? And it still fails?

gemarsh,  Thanks for the reply. here are my answers for your questions. 

I sometimes get "remote Learn Pending please Wait" in the dic but I have not seen "No remote detected. "

I will try the  leave the remote away from the vehicle and try starting with the push button. and see what happens. 

I have the full center console design. I did not know that there is a specified holder for the remote. should the remote be in a specific spot when I'm operating the truck? 

5 hours ago, rlambert said:

I have the full center console design. I did not know that there is a specified holder for the remote. should the remote be in a specific spot when I'm operating the truck? 

The spot is between the cup holders in the console. The purpose is to allow the truck to start if the battery in the remote is dead. Have you tried the other remote?

Jay

the truck will give me "No remote detected" if I try and start it with the remote left in the house. 

does the remote need to be put in the "remote holder" all the time?  I have never done that. I just keep it in my pants pocket. Should I be putting it between the cup holders? 

3 minutes ago, rlambert said:

does the remote need to be put in the "remote holder" all the time?  I have never done that. I just keep it in my pants pocket. Should I be putting it between the cup holders? 

No.\ it doesn't need to be in 'remote holder'.

Location is for use if the battery in remote is dead. 

4 hours ago, redwngr said:

Perhaps truck isn't detecting foot on brake pedal?

That's what I was thinking, but it's displaying "remote learn pending, please wait." Which is weird. That's why I asked if the remote unlocked the doors while it was failing or if he used the app to unlock the doors.

If it was me, I would not use the remote start feature until it's fixed, on work days.

Thanks for the responses.   

gemarsh -  the remote features all work when this happens,  It will unlock/lock doors, it will open tailgate, it will shut the engine back off and it will restart the engine.  

This Failure to let me take control has happened all 3 ways,  using the app, using the fob, and just getting in and try starting it by putting foot on brake and pushing the button.  

I started switching ways of starting the truck since the 1st time this has happened trying to eliminate what it could be.  The last visit to the dealer they suggested it could be interference of maybe a toll road easypass? or my Gym and work RFID card passes?  something of that type.  I have removed all of these with the exception of a window sticker that has a chip in it for my car wash membership. (hard to remove that one). and if it is one of these things you would think all the vehicles would pose this problem.  So I think the dealer is grasping at straws?  

So I'm at a loss with a untrusting vehicle. Boy do I wish I had my 2014 truck back. 

gemarsh-- you asked ( When it fails to start during a remote/app start, will the remote, unlock the doors?) 

The truck never fails to start with the app or the remote.. it fails to let me take control. ( engine is already running ) 

BUT when it starts (acting up this way) I can't do any thing except start engine and turn off engine with the app or remote. It won't let me just turn truck off and start it with foot on brake push the button. it wont do any thing at that point.  and if I start it to many times with the remote or app. the truck will go into theft mode?   

when truck fails to let me take control the only thing I can do is to leave it sit for and hour or so and then it will act completely normal.  I take it to the dealer and obviously they can't duplicate the issue. I have even recorded what happens and show them the recording and they say they need it to happen when it's there.  So they do their checks and tell me everything checked out fine nothing they can do at this point.  A month or so later truck will do the same thing. 

Edited by rlambert

This almost sounds to me that the remote is defective, when you said you tried both remotes did you leave the remote you always use in the house or way far away from the truck when you tried the other remote? Has it acted up when the truck is away from the house? I would also remove that sticker for the car wash to take away all possibilities as the truck may be seeing the chip in the sticker and getting confused on and off and interfering with the signal from the remote.