Push Button Start won't let me take control.

1 hour ago, Mthompson26 said:

Literally sitting in a parking lot with this issue pissed off because it doesn’t seem like there is a fix. Now I deprogrammed my remotes it seems and can’t get it to recognize my key turns to turn the programming system back on to try again. Probably going to have to tow to the dealership and hope they can get me going but I’m not hopeful.

I have found if you press the brake and hold the ignition push button for 15ish seconds a couple times it'll start (basically exiting the programming sequence, the manual has the steps if you had done it on purpose haha)

On 2/21/2022 at 4:07 AM, rlambert said:

2020 GMC 1500 SLT with 27K miles. I can start the truck with the app and/or the key fob remote start. When I get in truck I put my foot on brake and push the button and It won't let me take over.  Engine is running, But I can't shift, I can't do anything other then turn the truck off with the App/ or remote.  I repeat to get the same result.  I try to just start truck from the push button and nothing.   This has happened several times ( 6 times in less than a year).  Sometimes I get learning remote please wait.  but nothing happens.  I have to walk away from the truck and I wait for an hour or so and then truck works normally.  I've had truck to dealer 3 or 4 times now.  They can't duplicate the problem.  We have replace key fob batteries twice now with the same issue. Dealer is at a loss and so am I.  Dealer has checked for software updates and has reprogramed the truck.  Nothing has helped, and there is nothing like wondering of your $60K truck is going to let you go to work.  

Anyone got any Ideas?   

I had the same issue! The problem is with a faulty driver door latch. The door latch is electronic and is not communicating with the security system! That in turn disables the push to start!

On 1/26/2023 at 1:17 AM, Doug1234 said:

I'm still having the same issue.. After the dealership reprogrammed the 3 brand new key fobs it was fine for a couple months before acting up again. Most recently, it happened on new years eve, the next day the truck had zero power (battery had 3.4v on multimeter and wouldnt hold a charge). Put in a new battery and things fine until I had the oil changed at the dealership this week then it happened again. I'm at a loss and not about to leave the truck at the dealership for weeks for them to not fix the issue again. Honestly about trade it in and get away from chevy at this point.

Edit: There was no indication the battery was getting weak and no lights/alarm, it just went bad overnight.

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Doug1234.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your truck. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Doug1234/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

On 1/26/2023 at 10:28 PM, Mthompson26 said:

Literally sitting in a parking lot with this issue pissed off because it doesn’t seem like there is a fix. Now I deprogrammed my remotes it seems and can’t get it to recognize my key turns to turn the programming system back on to try again. Probably going to have to tow to the dealership and hope they can get me going but I’m not hopeful.

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Mthompson26.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your truck. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Mthompson26/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• 1 month later...

Rlambert - did you ever get this fixed? Still a problem? Our 2021 1500 SLT is doing the same thing. Got the same answers from the dealer: can’t replicate, fob batteries need replacing, probably your dash cam. It’s maddening! Both fobs will lock, unlock, and remote start but then nothing when you push the start button. 

I charged the battery and keep any peripherals unplugged. I unplug any charging cables, etc.

I haven't had any issues since then. I do however have problems with OnStar every month or so. I push the button and nothing. It seems like something in the electronics gets scrambled. Just like the starting issue, after sitting for a half hour or more, things seem to reset. I feel like the media system and security system are linked and the issues continue to happen. Of course I'm out of warranty now.

On 3/2/2023 at 8:10 PM, Corum said:

Rlambert - did you ever get this fixed? Still a problem? Our 2021 1500 SLT is doing the same thing. Got the same answers from the dealer: can’t replicate, fob batteries need replacing, probably your dash cam. It’s maddening! Both fobs will lock, unlock, and remote start but then nothing when you push the start button. 

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Corum.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your truck. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Corum/GM Trucks in the subject line.

www.gm.com

On 3/5/2023 at 2:57 PM, My 2020 GMC said:

Did you ever get this figured out? I have a 2020 Sierra and it's doing the same thing

This is certainly not what we like to hear, My 2020 GMC.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2020 GMC Sierra. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: My 2020 GMC/GM Trucks in the subject line.

www.gm.com

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2023 at 3:38 PM, MayorMike said:

I charged the battery and keep any peripherals unplugged. I unplug any charging cables, etc.

I haven't had any issues since then. I do however have problems with OnStar every month or so. I push the button and nothing. It seems like something in the electronics gets scrambled. Just like the starting issue, after sitting for a half hour or more, things seem to reset. I feel like the media system and security system are linked and the issues continue to happen. Of course I'm out of warranty now.

This is certainly not what we like to hear, MayorMike.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your truck. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: MayorMike/GM Trucks in the subject line.

www.gm.com

On 3/7/2023 at 5:51 PM, MayorMike said:

At least two of you are taken seriously. I guess I'm SOL! 

#23-NA-023: After A Remote Start When The Start Button Is Pressed The Engine May Stall or Will Not Restart - (Feb 28, 2023)
Subject:  After A Remote Start When The Start Button Is Pressed The Engine May Stall or Will Not Restart image

This Service Bulletin is replacing PIT5873G. Please discard all previous copies of PIT5873G.

Brand:

Model:

Model Year:

VIN:

Engine:

Transmission:

from

to

from

to

Cadillac

Escalade Models

Chevrolet

Silverado 1500 New (RPO J22, VIN Digit 5 = A / D)

Silverado 1500

Suburban

Tahoe

GMC

Sierra 1500 New (RPO J22, VIN Digit 5 = H / U)

Sierra 1500

Yukon

Yukon XL

Involved Region or Country

America, Uzbekistan, Middle East, Russia, Israel, Palestine, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Japan, Kazakhstan, Korea, Thailand

Additional Options (RPOs)

Condition

Some customers may comment that after using the remote vehicle start, either from the fob or app, they experienced any of the following issues:

• When they enter the vehicle and press the start button the engine stalls
  • If they try to restart the engine, it will not crank
  • If the remote start times out they are unable to restart the engine with the start button
  • When trying to turn engine off the engine stays running
  • Unable to turn the ignition off
  • Service Steering Column Lock Message, if equipped
  • Dead Battery

Cause

The cause of the condition may be a Body Control Module (BCM) messaging issue.

Correction

Reprogram the BCM following service information instructions to update to the newest software level.

Important: Service agents must comply with all International, Federal, State, Provincial, and/or Local laws applicable to the activities it performs under this bulletin, including but not limited to handling, deploying, preparing, classifying, packaging, marking, labeling, and shipping dangerous goods. In the event of a conflict between the procedures set forth in this bulletin and the laws that apply to your dealership, you must follow those applicable laws.

Caution: Before downloading the update files, be sure the computer is connected to the internet through a network cable (hardwired). DO NOT DOWNLOAD or install the files wirelessly. If there is an interruption during programming, programming failure or control module damage may occur.

• Ensure the programming tool is equipped with the latest software and is securely connected to the data link connector. If there is an interruption during programming, programming failure or control module damage may occur.
  • Stable battery voltage is critical during programming. Any fluctuation, spiking, over voltage or loss of voltage will interrupt programming. Install a GM Authorized Programming Support Tool to maintain system voltage. Refer to www.gmdesolutions.com for further information.  If not available, connect a fully charged 12 V jumper or booster pack disconnected from the AC voltage supply. DO NOT connect a battery charger.
  • Follow the on-screen prompts regarding ignition power mode, but ensure that anything that drains excessive power (exterior lights, HVAC blower motor, etc) is off.
  • Clear DTCs after programming is complete. Clearing powertrain DTCs will set the Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) system status indicators to NO.

Important: The service technician always needs to verify that the VIN displayed in the TLC left side drop down menu and the top center window match the VIN plate of the vehicle to be programmed prior to using Service Programming System 2 (SPS2) for programming or reprogramming a module.

• For the TLC application, service technicians need to always ensure that the power mode (ignition) is “ON” before reading the VIN from the vehicle’s VIN master module and that they do not select a VIN that is already in the TLC application memory from a previous vehicle.
  • If the VIN that shows up in the TLC top center window after correctly reading the VIN from the vehicle does not match the VIN plate of the vehicle, manually type in the VIN characters from the vehicle VIN plate into the TLC top center window and use these for programming or reprogramming the subject module with the correct vehicle VIN and software and/or calibrations.
  • The Engine Control Module (ECM) is the master module (for VIP vehicles) that TLC reads to determine the VIN of the vehicle. If the VIN read from the vehicle by TLC does not match the VIN plate of the vehicle, the ECM also needs to be reprogrammed with the correct VIN, software and calibrations that match the vehicle’s VIN plate.
  • The Body Control Module (BCM) is the master module (for GEM vehicles) that TLC reads to determine the VIN of the vehicle. If the VIN read from the vehicle by TLC does not match the VIN plate of the vehicle, the BCM also needs to be reprogrammed with the correct VIN, software and calibrations that match the vehicle’s VIN plate.

Caution: Be sure the VIN selected in the drop down menu (1) is the same as the vehicle connected (2) before beginning programming.

• 6 months later...

Tis the season. The problems are back. Of course they waited until I was 1200 miles away on a trip. 2 mornings in a row I got the "programming remote" message and could not start the truck. My 2020 truck is my favorite vehicle of all time, especially if I want all of the cool programmed features, etc. But it would be nice to be able to rely on it actually driving. I had the battery replaced when I got back but low and behold I'm locked out again this morning. The only solution is call my dealer (60 miles away) and then they have no clue what the problem is because, of course, it doesn't happen for them. I am starting to think I got a lemon. I also keep getting little quirks like "park assist" is always locked out, or it can't find my phone for a while. It seems like there is something between the security and entertainment system that just keeps hiccuping. Finally beyond frustration. If GM wants to help, they need to call and talk to my dealer and find a definitive solution. Or make it right somehow. (I really don't want to buy another truck).

Here is an Update Oct.23 2023 it's been a year now since the driver's door switches have been replaced, I have NOT had one issue with the push start not working as it should.  It seems my problem has been solved. This was very frustrating to say the least. I hope everyone else with this issue gets it taken care of.