Winter Mpg Thread!

Hi guys, I recently took a trip with my '00 Z71 and only got 14mpg 100% all highway. It was rather cold, below freezing but still.. It has new NGK platinum plugs, delco wires, delco o2 sensors, and runs great. I was driving near 70mph the entire time. I was thinking about buying one of those grille bra's to keep it a bit warmer.

How are you guys doing on mpg?

Hi guys, I recently took a trip with my '00 Z71 and only got 14mpg 100% all highway. It was rather cold, below freezing but still.. It has new NGK platinum plugs, delco wires, delco o2 sensors, and runs great. I was driving near 70mph the entire time. I was thinking about buying one of those grille bra's to keep it a bit warmer.

How are you guys doing on mpg?

What temp was the truck running at? If its to low it might need a new thermostat because running it cold will cause it to run rich. Its also partly due to the winter gas mixture im told. I know even my trucks average mileage has gone down, but not by much. was 16.8 now its 16.6

I know the 4spd tranny in my gmt900 doesn't shift to overdrive until it hits 72 degrees internally. It takes quite a bit longer to hit 72 degrees, when you start off at 9 degrees..... So I know I am running more rpms for at least 4-6 miles

Hey guys I live in South Dakota and notice a difference in mileage. I drive 80 and during the summer can average 17-19 and during the winter it is 13-16 even my in town mileage is down with the colder weather. But I do not think it has much to do with the engine temp. I think it is that the drive train is exposed to the cold weather and never gets warmed up when it is 0 degrees out and this makes it harder for the engine to move these components causing your fuel mileage to be worse. I suppose using a synthetic fluid in everything would help

Archived