Is Your Gmt-900 Truck Or Suv Using Oil

Is your GMT-900 using oil  

1,554 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If it were me, I'd run 20W-50 if I were using that much oil.

The way I see it, the engine is pretty much junk anyway. Not going to hurt much running a heavier oil. I saw a big decline in piston and ring wear metals in my oil analysis by switching from 5w-30 to 10w-30. Even though the "10" is rating it's cold flow properties, it's an overall higher viscosity oil, which helped alot in my case.

I just wish I had started doing this right out of the gate

^that....as long as 20w is ok for your cold start ambient temps, you could run that and be ok.

Received my Range plug in today. It says not to leave it plugged in vehicles that are not driven daily. Battery drain is the reason. I only drive my truck in the weekends. I keep my truck on a battery tender, so I figure it's not an issue. But still, I'm curious. Do any of you have any issues with this?

• Like 1

Same here.

I'm running an Odyssey battery, but I don't think this thing draws that much extra to make a huge difference.

I just filled my tank the other day - last time I filled it was the first week of May, so that tells you how much it sits. I throw my charger on it at least once a month, or sooner if I remember. Had the Range for over a year now, and never a dead, or even weak, battery.

Edited by Jsdirt

Hello all, I need help. I've got an '11 Yukon 5.3 with AFM, 114,000 miles and it seems to be eating around 2-3 quarts every 3000 miles. Good or bad, I don't drive it much and never tow anything, so oil consumption is difficult to read. I do get the puff of smoke when I start it after driving it "hard" which really just means running it 75 mph or accelerating quickly.

What are my options? Should I just trade it in on a '14 or newer or what year doesn't have this issue?

I'm not a mechanic, but I take it to my small town mechanic where I live who I know and trust and they do good work. Should I have them do something to it to try to fix it?

I've only had it for about 8 months, man I wish I would've found this before I bought it. :(

When I have a new vehicle that burns oil, the last thing I'd want to do is trade it in on ANOTHER vehicle by the same manufacturer. If they can't get it right the first time, what makes you think a '14 or newer will be any better? I'd strongly suggest looking at Ram, or even Ford. Ram seems to have their crap together more than the other 2 ...

There's alot of options - none of them even remotely cheap, unfortunately. Could rebuild what you've got, drop a new crate motor in, tear it down and only repair the problem (which could be alot of things), drop in a used junkyard engine, buy a parts truck and do a swap, etc..

What you can afford will dictate which of those you choose. Junkyard engines are the cheapest route ... but that engine could be EXACTLY the same problem child as what you just yanked out ... only with more miles on it. Crate is the way to go, but HOLY CRAP wait until you see the cost of THAT ... then if you're paying someone to do the job, plan on another grand or more on top of all that. I HATE the LS engine ...

Hello all, I need help. I've got an '11 Yukon 5.3 with AFM, 114,000 miles and it seems to be eating around 2-3 quarts every 3000 miles. Good or bad, I don't drive it much and never tow anything, so oil consumption is difficult to read. I do get the puff of smoke when I start it after driving it "hard" which really just means running it 75 mph or accelerating quickly.

What are my options? Should I just trade it in on a '14 or newer or what year doesn't have this issue?

I'm not a mechanic, but I take it to my small town mechanic where I live who I know and trust and they do good work. Should I have them do something to it to try to fix it?

I've only had it for about 8 months, man I wish I would've found this before I bought it. :(

If you use it sparingly why buy again?

I would try a Range to disable AFM first or run it in manual in 5th gear so it can't engage AFM. Check back here for used or new for $200 I think. :happysad:

Edited by diyer2
  • Like 1

The Range is great - I've had one for over a year now. Doesn't cure the oil burning, unfortunately. At least not in my case.

• Like 1

I should've said I love everything about this Yukon except the oil consumption, and I really don't mind that if the engine holds together and I'm not dumping a bunch of money into it for repairs.

I'll research this Range thing and maybe go with that. I'm guessing my mechanic would be able to install it?

How can I find out if damage is already done to the engine? What should I have my mechanic look into?

Thanks!

The Range just plugs into your data link connector under the steering column - anyone can handle that.

The oil burning in and of itself says the engine isn't right. Really not worth the diagnostic time ($$$) to find out the exact reason why. My guess is GM cheaped out on piston ring material, and it has worn out LONG before it should have ... or the piston/cylinder clearance is too large, also due to bad QC & manufacturing practices.

GM's priority these days is saving money. They could care less about the customer (or their own techs ... but that's a story for another day).

• Like 1

Received my Range plug in today. It says not to leave it plugged in vehicles that are not driven daily. Battery drain is the reason. I only drive my truck in the weekends. I keep my truck on a battery tender, so I figure it's not an issue. But still, I'm curious. Do any of you have any issues with this?

I loved the Range when I had it on my 2012. I would unplug mine once a month or when my truck would sit for a week (vacations). I used a strip of black electrical tape over hose LED lights- Hated that at night time.

Never had an issue though...

Edited by Bad Bowtie2

I should've said I love everything about this Yukon except the oil consumption, and I really don't mind that if the engine holds together and I'm not dumping a bunch of money into it for repairs.

I'll research this Range thing and maybe go with that. I'm guessing my mechanic would be able to install it?

How can I find out if damage is already done to the engine? What should I have my mechanic look into?

Thanks!

Definitely get a Range module, easy to plug in & out. It uses the data port plug down by your left knee (when your driving). Just add a strip of black electrical tape over the LED lights (trust me).

I would have the spark plugs checked/changed with AC Delco's, only run regular Dino oil & change it every 3 months/3K with an AC Delco Ultra Guard Gold filter. Also have him install an updated left valve cover- Improved baffle design.

Try all these out for a few oil changes & then let us know what your decision is...

Edited by Bad Bowtie2