Gonna get a 6.2 & needs help?

So, I still got my both my car and truck...Dad is gonna sell my truck, bc hes in a debt a lil bit, so I don't mind too much. I rather see him happy then miserable, ya know? So I all got left is my G8....so that means...I CAN NOT use it year around...So I'm just gonna trade it in and get a 6.2. I rather have a truck than a car, especially if ya live in the snow/mountains.

I'm lookin at a new '12 Chevy Silverado 6.2L Crew Cab LTZ...fully loaded....black on black. Back up camera, Navagation screen and all that stuff.

and/or

A '12 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2L Crew Cab....its also black on black.....Only thing it doesn't have is the Nav/DVD screen, they're asking 2K more for it.

I test drove both trucks & I fell in LOVE with both.....but I really want the Sierra Denali, bc you hardly see any of those around in my area...but tons of Silverados & other GMCs'. I do like how they look better in the front and rear. Only bad thing is that the Denali is AWD....I mean thats great for winter & racing against a Ford at a redlight. :P But then you couldn't have any fun if you know what I mean.

So all of you GMC Sierra or Denali owners how much do you like you it? Pros & Cons?

Did you add leveling kits & things like that?

Needs opinions & your thoughts, thanks guys, appreciate it!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Denali's AWD system isn't the best for bad weather driving in my opinion- the transfer case doesn't lock like on a traditional system so it could be possible to send 100% of the power to one axle still. Traction/stability control will try to prevent that but it's electronics fighting a mechanical device at that point.

how can you sell a used G8 and get a top of the line truck lol but that is awsome that your willing to help your dad . Should be the other way around tho but good to see that you are not folowling your dad foot steps and going into debt . Seems like most americans and canadians are in debt these days. If i has to choose I would get the extra cab . What job do you have at 20 ? to be buying two nice vehicals ? you only been working for like 4 years ? and have basicaly 70 thousand dollors worth of vehicals there if you got them new. and now want a brand new truck that is going to cost more than 35 thousand .

how can you sell a used G8 and get a top of the line truck lol but that is awsome that your willing to help your dad . Should be the other way around tho but good to see that you are not folowling your dad foot steps and going into debt . Seems like most americans and canadians are in debt these days. If i has to choose I would get the extra cab . What job do you have at 20 ? to be buying two nice vehicals ? you only been working for like 4 years ? and have basicaly 70 thousand dollors worth of vehicals there if you got them new. and now want a brand new truck that is going to cost more than 35 thousand .

Yeah I know, I guess its a shame I rather have a good looking ride then to pay for gf/wife everyday. Not planning to get married until im least 30. Well yeah im 20, but I'm blessed to have a good job this early in life. I work for the state, DOC. I still live with my Dad, but I help him on the bills. Its not like Im NOT doing nothing.

If it were me, I would stay away from the AWD. I would rather be able to select the drive mode in bad weather than have the truck do it for me. The AWD is nice to have in some situations but it's not 4wd, and doesn't work like 4wd, that's what you have to remember. I am pretty sure the split on that system is 40% front and 60% rear (unless something changed). I know some Denali owners have complained about a "whine" they are hearing from the front end but have not experienced it myself when driving one. I think the noise they are hearing is just the AWD system. GM will tell you that the noise is normal on their AWD system though, so I guess it's ok? If I lived somewhere that 4wd was not a must, I would go wit hthe AWD, otherwise, the 4wd will serve you much better.......The decision is up to you, they are going to be your payments get what you can afford.

I like the SLT/LTZ over the denali because you get selectable 4x4 with auto mode thats "similar" to AWD. Plus you can get 3.73's if you want. Denali doesn't offer any other gear ratio than 3.42 which isn't a bad gear choice. As far as the leveling kit, they don't always work out as well for the AWD system. It causes a vibration. With the SLT/LTZ thats not an a problem.

Plus the SLT/LTZ is less money than the Denali and you can get almost ever option it has. :thumbs:

In the end, you can't go wrong with either one.

Denali isn't offered in a 2WD model? In '08 they came 2WD or AWD. In Canada, they seemed to be all AWD (snow). I haven't been looking lately, so I don't know if they killed off the 2WD version.

Just checked, and the GM site offers the SD in a 2WD version.

I like the SLT/LTZ over the denali because you get selectable 4x4 with auto mode thats "similar" to AWD. Plus you can get 3.73's if you want. Denali doesn't offer any other gear ratio than 3.42 which isn't a bad gear choice. As far as the leveling kit, they don't always work out as well for the AWD system. It causes a vibration. With the SLT/LTZ thats not an a problem.

Plus the SLT/LTZ is less money than the Denali and you can get almost ever option it has. :thumbs:

In the end, you can't go wrong with either one.

Yeah you do have a very strong point, its just hard to find the 6.2L trucks around here. Both trucks have 6.2. I just want one color & its black. The ones I have found are like over 100 miles away. But these 2 are 30 mins up the road. I want a SLT/LTZ or Denali Black. With the 6.2 Crew Cab. How good gas mileage do you guys get in the 6.2?

Archived