Max speed Silverado 3500

Hi everybody,

Some of you may remember that I was planing to buy a Silverado 3500HD and ship it to Europe. Btw. thank you for your great help back then.

In the mean time I went to the USA (and back again :tear:), was able to test drive one of these trucks, I was able to check out a lot of things I'd never been able to find out here in Europe, I had a few positive surprises...

Unfortunately there was one negative thing as well. I wasn't able to buy one of these trucks. GM (and probably most -if not all other- manufacturers do not allow their dealers to sell new cars/trucks to non-US-citizens. Butt for that I found a solution, so that isn't a too big problem anymore.

Now my problem: For the registration I need some (half-) official data. I was able to find most of that needed data on GMupfitter.com (track, wheelbase...), GMpowertrain.com (transmission data, engine: bore, stroke, hp,...)

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find anything about the maximum speed of the 2012 Silverado 3500HD. Can somebody tell me where I could find this data? I don't think that will be on the title, will it?

Actually, can somebody tell me what technical information can be found on the title (besides the VIN, Color, Make and Modell of the truck)?

Thank you

Urs

I believe the cutoff is at 95 MPH. Most GM trucks have stopped there for ages. If the traffic is light tomorrow maybe I can double check in my 1500. :lol:

Title info is fairly basic. Here is a sample of title from New Hampshire I found online:

donate-a-car-new-hampshire-title-2007.jpg

Thank you very much for this many answers.

As for the title, you are right, very basic. I was a bit surprised, because here we have lots of technical information on it: (all kind of weight ratings, towing ratings, engine displacement, hp, rim-sizes (if not stock), some times even max speed, just to name a few...)

Max speed: 90-100 sounds good. All trucks I had a closer look at, had tires with speed-rating S, so if I recall correctly these should be for up to 112mph.

Even if an RV weighting more than 3500kg is only allowed to be driven at 100km/h (around 62-63Mph) we still need tires covering the theoretical possible max speed of the vehicle. I'm not sure if I'd like to drive a empty Silverado at 100 or 120mph, but I'm sure I don't want to try this with a 3500 Silverado rebuild as an RV, around 10 feed high and 9-10'000lbs of weight :noway:

As I wrote in my first post, our authorities need some kind of half-official paper stating this max speed. Half-official means, some kind of brochure, sales catalog, technical data sheet, doesn't matter what, as long it is from GM or some kind of official places/authorities (DOT?...?). Can somebody help me on that point?

Can the speed-limit be reprogrammed, let say at 80 or 90? If yes, with the TECH2? If so I could find a company here who could maybe reprogram and confirm that they did it.

Thanks

Urs

By the way, I may not be liable for your speed tickets :)

GM allows trucks to be limited to 75, but it may be a fleet-only option. You may have a tough time finding any sort of document from the government regarding max speed certification as they don't care, it's up to the manufacturer. You may have a tough time having the truck re-programmed overseas though since the truck isn't sold there.

The best document I found about max speed was from Car and Driver in their spec sheet with other performance data. They're my favotire automotive publication but I don't think they're official enough. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

GM allows trucks to be limited to 75, but it may be a fleet-only option. You may have a tough time having the truck re-programmed overseas though since the truck isn't sold there.

Can a fleet-only option also be programmed with the Tech2?

If so, I think that wouldn't be a to big problem here. Even if the truck isn't sold here there are specialized companies, importing different US-Cars and then reprogram for example the radios for our frequencies. I suppose they also need the Tech2 with the "US-cars-software" on it to do that. So they will probably also have the possibility to reprogram a Silverado. Even if they are specialized on corvettes or camaros...the electronic modules themselves will probably not differ that much as long there is GM somewhere printed on them.

The best document I found about max speed was from Car and Driver in their spec sheet with other performance data. They're my favotire automotive publication but I don't think they're official enough. :lol:

That's right, not official enough, the big Chevy or GM sign is missed ;-)

But anyway, for the Silverado I wasn't able to find any information about the max speed. Have I overseen it?

thx

Urs

• 1 month later...

Archived