Gas mileage

My gas mileage sucks.

my "Average Economy" is about 11mpg. The newer chevy's supposedly get more mpg? What makes it that way, because I would not mind spending money on new parts to save money later.

I've got almost the same truck as you. 2007 Sierra 5.3L (AFM) Z71 4x4.

I get at 1/4 highway and 3/4 city about 14-15 mpg.

Ok, I enjoy driving and I'm easy on the pedal. But believe me I'm not a road block. I lived in Berlin (GER) for 37 years and and drove a vehicle there for 21 years.

All I 'm trying is to look ahead and flow with the traffic.

I try to avoid to use the brake. All what the brake does is to convert the kinetic energy (you put in by accelerating) to thermal energy.

I don't drive in the drive thru but I park the truck and go inside and get my coffee (it doesn't take more time and the truck isn't idling for 10-15 min).

And I keep an eye on the average fuel economy (DIC).

I don't carry unnecessary stuff on my truck.

No offense. But fuel milage has got a lot to do with the driving habits.

so long

j-ten-ner

I see in your signature that your truck has a brush guard. I have a brush guard on my truck and it costs me at least 1 mpg. I really noticed it when I took it off to repaint it and my gas mileage jumped up. It went back down when I put it back on.

11 mpg could be possible if you do a lot of city driving, fast driving, fast accelerating, etc. You would have to drive like a 16 year old, but it's possible. With normal driving you should be close to MPG fuel standards. I can get 16 to 17 with normal highway and city driving. I can get over 20 mpg on the highway with semi level ground and minimal wind. Slow down and take it easy on your driving, your wallet, and truck will thank you.

Thanks. I will try to drive a little more cautious of my surroundings (stop signs, red lights, etc). But there still is an unanswered question of why are standard MPG for newer trucks more?

Yes, acording to the sticker on the window whe nyou buy the truck. Just remember that these number are taken in a controlled enviroment and are not very realistic. The fuel mixture you use can change your MPG also, along with many other things that are out of your control.

My gas mileage sucks too. I have slightly larger tires and that accounts for some of the drop but I have owned no less than 2(not every year model, but body style) of every Chevy model since 1990 and the gas mileage has not went up, not down either. Power up, mileage the same. I posted a reply in the 6.2 liter post about a guy who got what I thought was a high figure while towing doing 70, and you would have thought I called them communists. I just posted cause if I tow, it really gets nasty, and basic math tells me that a 6.2, under a modest load will be more thirsty than a 5.3. I'm doing good to avg 15 unloaded, and loaded maybe 12.

I can tell you that i have only got 13/15.3 city and 19 highway w/my 06 since new......

put a trailer behind her and it drops to 9mpg.

I also tried E85 and wooooow dropped to 12mpg! why bother....

just the nature of the beast.....want 30mpg buy a prius.

Standard MPG fuel standards will always be increasing. The government keeps raising the bar on what these cars and trucks have to produce when it comes to fuel mileage. The car companies are also getting pretty good at making these engines more efficient, and using the cheap and light materials to lower the weight.

Lots of reasons that gas mileage can vary. I can average 4-5 mpg more in my wife's car than she can...best not go into that in case she comes and looks over my shoulder. I coast to a stop sign; she accelerates....etc.

Anyway some things to check/change/look for etc: (Yeah I know I'm captain obvious.)

1. Winter gas doesn't deliver mpg, but I have found a lot of difference between brands in my area. I think some have a higher concentration of gasoline than others. In my area Hess gives me the best mileage...Citgo the worst. Try another brand and see if there's any difference.

2. Warm up time. I'm lucky in that my truck is garaged. So a "cold" start is usually around 50 degrees. It takes cold motors, tires, bearings etc some time to warm up and get going. Hurts the gas mileage. Plus if you have to warm up and defrost before you leave more gas. Hope for warmer weather.

3. Tire pressure. With colder outside temps your tire pressure will drop. Make sure you're aired up.

4. Drive with the instant mpg displayed. If I'm trying to save a few $$$ it makes me stay off the throttle.

Just my $0.02 and that may be all you save by following my advice :D

Archived