Making my own SS

I'm pretty sure everyone would love to see the ss brought back from the dead beside fastlanes ss, but how does this sound. My next truck im getting would be a ext cab z71 silverado Vortec Max or 6.2 to keep it true (i know the ss was 2wd or awd but i want 4 wheel drive just in case :P ) and then level it out with a 1.5 or 2 inch leveling kit then adding the ss front bumper from street scene and to add some spice add a ram air hood from goodhood for a mean look or the hood like on the fastlane one. Add a rst wing for the tailgate and debadge the emblems and stickers to have the nice clean look and of course it being black :D . Something like this but an ext cab. I got the idea from watching fastlanes ss and a bunch of ss videos on youtube and friends truck in the picture below. What do you guys think?

post-92669-0-41993000-1329979531_thumb.jpg

If your vehicle is an automatic, install a 3600 stall, race grade flexplate, and a Transgo shift kit, then get a tune, it will not only look good (with your mods), you will run like a raped ape down the road (with the mods I suggested) :)

for an SS:

*4wd if you want to, remember the last Silverado SS when first released in 2003 was AWD only

*I would consider a truck true to the SS roots to be a regular cab

*it would need to be lowered, the whole point of "SS", it's a street truck built for speed

*6.2L would be a must

*the wing.... not a fan of it, but it doesn't conflict with the theme.

now... what I said above has some conflicts:

*you can't get a 6.2L RCSB 1500

*keep in mind, an SS is available in multiple trims, from cloth seats to leather

Personally I would LOVE to see a truck built as follows:

*RCSB 6.2L AWD 6 sp.

*lower it 2/4 or 4/6

*exclusive grille/ bumpers/ interior

this would be a simple truck to build, just take the powertrain (including rear axle) from a 6.2L Denali and slap it in a RCSB.

It's not gonna be an excatly like the ss like being 2wd and not lifting it. True ss trucks weren't made in single cabs i thought? You can get an RST and a Joe Gibbs in a RC and EC but i thought you coulld only get an ss in a EC. The wing is still something i dont know about and the more i think about it, the wing would kill the look of it. Im just throwing around the idea here.

The SS from the 80's was a regular cab with a 454ci motor and 2wd. In 2000's the SS was AWD extended cab. The RST and Joe gibbs trucks were "packages" like roush is to mustang. They were just addon's to a standard truck.

So... in my opinion you could go either way. The regular cab pickup, shortbed with a 6.2L lowered would make an awesome start :thumbs:

If you want an "SS" look, forget about the leveling kit, it should be low to the ground as possible. Definately forget about the rear spoiler. Spoilers are for cars, they don't belong on trucks UNLESS it's going to be used for nothing but racing on the track. If you do go with a spoiler, you should have the bed covered or it will really look silly (like one of those Dodge Ram Daytona's). I would also add sport tires to help with the performance look, it won't look right with all season tires. I am really not into lowered trucks BUT if I were going for the SS look, lowering the truck would be a must.

Don't do a wing, as others have said, it's not for trucks.

If i where to build an SS truck, I would start with the exact truck I have, do a 2/4 drop, cowl induction hood, hard bed cover, maybe a different front and rear bumpers, but before the bumpers i would do a a few bolts ons, such as headers, cam, and a intake, as well as a tune. Maybe even through on a supercharger.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Archived