Books we read and love!

welsenriste

It's gone down a ton since I don't fly much these days but since June of last year I've read at least 50 books on my Kindle. In no particular order my favorites are Tom Clancy, Vince Flynn, Brad Thor, Lee Child, James Rollins and Alex Barenson.

I cant stand reading also, I find it very boring no matter how good the book I heard is. I just dont have the patience for it. I with you Ryan I also had to read and been part of the lean six sigma teams at work.

Cool, I just became a certified Blackbelt this past month

Ryan

not a fan of reading.. all these girls i know are reading 50 shades of grey, i just keep saying ill wait for the movie... hahahahhaa

YouTube 50 shades of grey Gilbert Godfried. It is very foul, be warned but funny as hell.

From 1975 until 1986 I did not have a television. I would read two-to-four books a week, a lot of fiction, but also a lot of history, biographies, technical stuff relating to my industry etc. Since I discovered television and the internet, I read may five or six books per YEAR. I used to love cheap detective novels, science fiction, straight practical science, adventure histories (things about the early polar exploreres, seafarers, mountaineers, aviation pioneers, etc.)

Just for reference, I got laid off from my last job two months ago. They "embraced' 6Sigma, 6S, and "lean management" concepts a few years ago. Prior to that, it was a multi-million-dollar company with over a hundred and fifty employees producing things for the government at a good profit. Since then, they have "leaned" themselves down to about thirty people, mostly "managers" who can produce nothing, almost all the technicians have been laid off, quality control is in the toilet, they have lost all their contracts, and we are waiting for them to vacate the building, which should happen sometime next year.

The company I worked for before that (1996 until 2004) also embraced 6Sigma, and "lean concepts", and went from one of the largest general aviation maintenance shops in the Northwest with 43 mechanics, a flight school with 21 aircraft and a dozen instructors, until now they have closed their shop, and laid off all the employees except a few guys selling gas.

Just sayin'.

Yes lean six sigma is all about how your job or production is done now and how it helps you do your job or production in a more cost effective way. Just buy switching things around on how your job is done does save alot of money while getting the same results in the end. As far as production it was a tremendous amount of money being saved as long as you stick with it, but the problem is getting rid of the old habits, it doesnt mean getting rid of people by any means. I was on several teams and a few projects and believe me it really helps in production. Hell one project I was on saved around 400,000 dollars a year just by the way of moving tasks around. We have had it for about 4 years now.

Lean management and lean manufacturing are two differant things.

Congrats on the Black belt Ryan, I work closely with are Black belt at work. Them guys really know there stuff.

Oh BTW my wife read 50 shades of gray and nothing changed for me. :crackup:

Archived