Ways To Increase Gas Milage In 04 2500HD

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't take this the wrong way guys but I just love being told that I can't do something or to not expect these certain results just so I can try harder to prove those people wrong. It's not an ego thing at all, it's just something I like because of my competitive spirit.

Don't take this the wrong way guys but I just love being told that I can't do something or to not expect these certain results just so I can try harder to prove those people wrong. It's not an ego thing at all, it's just something I like because of my competitive spirit.

Go for it, it's your money. Report back to us after you feel you've got it where you want it. :cheers:

DEWFPO

OK, so cold air intake 150-220, cat back true dual exhaust 200-550, black bear tune 550, full tune up price varies on what brands I buy, and a solid fluid flush from front to rear and top to bottom price varies on what brand I go with. Later will come a couple of tires and a brake job in there somewhere. Not all of that has to do with better gas mileage but it's everything that I plan on doing period.

So based off of just the intake, exhaust, and tune I'm looking at on the hight end about 1400 bucks give or take.

If you want gas mileage and don't tow, you can do a gear swap or low rolling resistance tires as well

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

OK, so cold air intake 150-220, cat back true dual exhaust 200-550, black bear tune 550, full tune up price varies on what brands I buy, and a solid fluid flush from front to rear and top to bottom price varies on what brand I go with. Later will come a couple of tires and a brake job in there somewhere. Not all of that has to do with better gas mileage but it's everything that I plan on doing period.

So based off of just the intake, exhaust, and tune I'm looking at on the hight end about 1400 bucks give or take.

Ok, we're anxiously waiting your results. FYI I did port polished heads as well as all the mods you displayed..I may have picked up 1-1.5...it's gonna take you years to recoup the costs of ur mods in mpg savings dude. BUT if you think you can prove us ALL wrong were waitin to hear, like dewfpo says its your money

:-)

If you want gas mileage and don't tow, you can do a gear swap or low rolling resistance tires as well

Swapping gears would take you forever to recoup the cost.

I like my gearing, and my tires...I love them. I understand what you guys are saying, and you might be right but again I never like to leave anything stock. Even if I just get better performance and only gain a little in gas mileage I'll still be happy. Black Bear claims that there have been 1 to 2 mpg gain with their tune. I don't know if that's an average or what. But if I get the 2 out of it then I think with the other upgrades I'll get that last gain. if I only get 1 out of the tune and 1 out of the other upgrades I'll still be happy.

You will get the gains with a tune if you drive easy. But that's going to be hard.

I like my gearing, and my tires...I love them. I understand what you guys are saying, and you might be right but again I never like to leave anything stock. Even if I just get better performance and only gain a little in gas mileage I'll still be happy. Black Bear claims that there have been 1 to 2 mpg gain with their tune. I don't know if that's an average or what. But if I get the 2 out of it then I think with the other upgrades I'll get that last gain. if I only get 1 out of the tune and 1 out of the other upgrades I'll still be happy.

They can claim all they want, your mpg's will vary that much tank to tank. Think of it this way dont you think all these claims in improving mpg's that companys come up with that the vehicle manufacturers would be all over this with todays improving mpg's in vehicles stuff going on? We are trying to help you not to blow your money on stuff that is not going to work. Dont believe everything you read as they are there to make money on there product and dont care how long it takes you to break even if there product even works. At 1400 dollars spent it will take you over 100 tanks at a 2 mpg gain of fuel to break even and thats burning a tank a week which equals to 2 years to break even. But as said its your money and if you want to blow it then blow it.

Eh, either way I'm doing the intake and exhaust. I get what you are saying. And the car companies are making leaps and bounds with fuel mileage by taking a V8 motor and while cruising it goes to just 4 cylinders. My truck isn't new enough for that.

Not on a 6000 lb three quarter ton they aren't and they do not make a 6 liter HD with AFM thankfully. The only benefit that is even remotely possible from the newer 2500's is a deeper overdrive gear.... well and they stick on larger diameter tires and mostly 3.73's unless you specifically order 4.10's.

If you want gas mileage gains you bought the wrong truck, period. I have read your all your responses and realize what you have said but none the less my blanket statement still stands.

• 4 years later...

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I still find it hard to believe that I have lost almost 100 miles to the gallon in the almost 6 years of owning my truck. Maybe I'm just to optimistic. But hey I'll hopefully have a diesel this time next year anyways. 

Archived