2014 HDs

I've seen a couple HD trucks driving around with camo'd front ends that have M license plates so they must be a bit different than the 1500s style-wise.

I could be wrong but I want to remember that a GM engineer mentioned to me the current HD's are already on the next gen platform. The 2015 update should be mostly a specs boost and new styling.

I could be wrong but I want to remember that a GM engineer mentioned to me the current HD's are already on the next gen platform. The 2015 update should be mostly a specs boost and new styling.

I remember reading that when they redid the trucks in 2011 as well.

Yes that sounds right - when they re did the HDs in 07 they did not change the frames like they did on the 1500's but they changed the body. In 2011 they re did the chassis and left the body alone. Now for 2015 they will probably make a few minor tweaks to the chassis - maybe the engines (6.2L) and transmissions (8 speed??) along with the body changes.

Now that they have made the 1500's look more like the HD's I wonder what they are going to do to the HDs to set them apart???

• 2 weeks later...

I am hoping that GM will offer HD chassis-cabs up to at least 19,500# GVW and 120' cab-to-axle wheelbases. I can't believe GM is just going to give up that market to Ford and Ram. It is funny that GM has been putting an emphasis on commercial fleet sales, when they have a such a weak product line. Sounds like the old GM isn't quite dead yet.

I am hoping that GM will offer HD chassis-cabs up to at least 19,500# GVW and 120' cab-to-axle wheelbases. I can't believe GM is just going to give up that market to Ford and Ram. It is funny that GM has been putting an emphasis on commercial fleet sales, when they have a such a weak product line. Sounds like the old GM isn't quite dead yet.

I don't think gm has a weak HD lineup at all, the new ones have the best/stiffest frame, hands down the engine/tranny is the best, front end beefed up as well. I drive 1 tons and 3/4 tons everyday at work. Fords are tough I give them that, but fuel eating unreliable engines. Dodges are gutless lumber wagons. GM has the perfect mix.

I don't think gm has a weak HD lineup at all, the new ones have the best/stiffest frame, hands down the engine/tranny is the best, front end beefed up as well. I drive 1 tons and 3/4 tons everyday at work. Fords are tough I give them that, but fuel eating unreliable engines. Dodges are gutless lumber wagons. GM has the perfect mix.

However GM does not offer anything beyond a 3500HD and even that is limited to what you get configuration wise. They used to build actual HD trucks for commercial type use..... but I guess that costs too much. You don't see Chevy anything anymore.... not even tow trucks, and there is a reason for that. Ford and Dodge must be going broke in the lighter duty commercial market, lol. No for GM it makes more sense to build 2 of the same pickup truck line with different badging and minor sheetmetal differences instead.

GM does sell more half and three quarter tons than Ford when you account for both brands but Ford kills them in OE ton sales and obviously the medium duty 450 and 550s only increase their share. But it does seem odd that GM won't step up and offer the upfitter sizes you mention, I wasn't aware that was the case.

GM's lineup is weak for commercial use. GVW's are not high enough, longest wheelbase is too short for a lot of commercial applications.

Archived