Will swapping these accessories still work?

OK, I found a new truck that I want to buy, and probably will. But, it doesnt have all of the options that my current truck does. So, I was wondering if I swapped the following parts, will they work on the new truck? I think my main concern is going to be wiring harnesses, but I dont want to tear into the new truck if the parts wont swap and be functional.

The first thing I want to swap is the steering wheel. The old truck has button cotrols and the new truck doesnt. My concern is making everything work properly by swapping the steering wheels.

The second is the driver seat. Can I pull the power seat out of my old truck and put it in the new truck? Do the trucks all have the same wiring harnesses?

Third, the new truck doesnt have fog lights, but I have a bumper that does that I can swap onto it. Can I pull the switch for the lights and swap it into the new truck, and swap the bumpers. Again, this is a wiring question I guess. Would the harnesses be ther to plug it all in and have it work?

Anything you guys can educate me on is great.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the new truck a GMT800? I assume it is since you don't mention it, but let us know more info about the newer one

Yeah gotta tell us what truck your considering. If it's not another gmt800, i'd bet the answer to all questions are no....

I think you will need to add a harness for the steering wheel controls, I don't think they're standard. As far as the power seat goes, a quick look under the carpet should tell you whether it has the wiring or not. I have no idea on the foglights. But even as little as I use mine, it irritates me that they don't come on the next time you start the truck. It would probably be easier and better to wire them into another switch and use keyed power so the stupid things stay on, lol.

P.S.- Good find and good price compared to what I've seen, pretty color, low miles, get it before it's gone!!!!!!

Steering wheel harness is a pain in the ass. I've done it. foglights are available as an accessories kit. Seat I am curious about

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

From what Ive found, I can make the seat work as long as I trace the harness back to the box its plugged into and remove the entire pigtail.

My 05 currently has all the parts to do the steering wheel swap, Im just concnered about the reprogramming.

The fog lights arent a big deal. If nothing else, Ill do like KS said and wire them to a switched power source, or put a couple of relays in that pull power from the DTR lights and the headlights, that way they will always be on until I turn all of my lights off.

Chris, educate me on the tuning for the DIC and radio buttons.

Well it takes a couple hours if you rush. There is about 15 connectors for the clock spring harness. Some aren't easy. When you finally get it done you will be doing the other truck. There is a luxury I had that you won't because you are swapping truck to truck. Its best to unplug old and plug in new at the same time so everything gets connected.

Then a trip to the dealer and you pay for 2 codes to be programmed. They have to program the radio to accept the controls then the IPC to accept the DIC. Plus the PAC harness if you do aftermarket stereo. That project set me back $1000

I did. He said he didn't unlock it for me because it wasn't needed

Archived