2014 Silverado 0-60 video

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The 0-60 time is pathetic for the 5.3. What gives?

The video doesn't tell us what gears the truck has, he used traction control, barely power braked and who knows what he used for instrumentation. The 0-60 numbers you see in magazines are manufactured numbers that they massage with all sorts of variables so you can't really compare the two.

That guy is pretty stupid. Kinda crappy that its impossible to disable traction control on these new ones.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

That guy is pretty stupid. Kinda crappy that its impossible to disable traction control on these new ones.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

It sounds the same as the 900s- it has a raised threshold but its never truly off. He did a burnout in one video so it has to be at least partially disabled. More and more vehicles are like that due to liability. One of the Raptor vids that came out when the truck was new made me laugh- the truck has an offroad mode where ABS, traction and stability control are all totally off and the dude says that was a mode for experiences drivers only. Nevermind that a decade ago you could buy a truck that was like that all the time. :lol:

A decade ago the trucks didn't have the power to the axles and drive componants that they have now.

It doesn't matter. I just got a kick out of how they tried to imply it was somehow badass to disable it all. Some of the nannys have a place but I hate traction control- it is useless. If there is any situation where I might break the tires loose I turn it off- the last thing I want is it cutting power when I try to pull out of a side street in the snow or rain. And regardless the older trucks may have had less power but they'd spin the tires all day long. Even tuned its a pain to make my truck do it on dry pavement.

Well those are some interesting thoughts and comments and I think I would agree with most of them, but that would leave me asking why would GM or any of the other auto makers put it in if it is so useless? In this day and age when saving costs in design and manufacturing is critical to profits I don't know why they would put something that is useless in there.

Well those are some interesting thoughts and comments and I think I would agree with most of them, but that would leave me asking why would GM or any of the other auto makers put it in if it is so useless? In this day and age when saving costs in design and manufacturing is critical to profits I don't know why they would put something that is useless in there.

Let me clarify, it is useless to anyone who treats driving with the attention and respect it deserves. Traction control, at least the useless verity in mainstream vehicles is there for the idiots who think a car is just another appliance and put no more thought into the operation of it than they do a refrigerator. My beef isn't with the high end traction controls you get in sports cars.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems ok, not too impressive tho.

GOOD NEWS!

Car and driver Review

The 5.3-liter V-8’s full 355 horsepower and 383 lb-ft of torque are delivered close to redline, meaning it needs to be worked to hustle. Hammer down, the V-8 motivates the 5605-pound Silverado crew cab to 60 mph in 6.7 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 15.3 seconds at 92 mph. We dig the noises the V-8 makes under hard acceleration and the lack of any noise at all when just half its pots are boiling with the cylinder-deactivation feature

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-chevrolet-silverado-1500-53l-4x4-crew-cab-test-review

• 1 month later...

GOOD NEWS!

Car and driver Review

The 5.3-liter V-8s full 355 horsepower and 383 lb-ft of torque are delivered close to redline, meaning it needs to be worked to hustle. Hammer down, the V-8 motivates the 5605-pound Silverado crew cab to 60 mph in 6.7 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 15.3 seconds at 92 mph. We dig the noises the V-8 makes under hard acceleration and the lack of any noise at all when just half its pots are boiling with the cylinder-deactivation feature

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-chevrolet-silverado-1500-53l-4x4-crew-cab-test-review

For comparison, my '06 CC Z71 5.3 with a loaded toolbox, stock tune, did 1/4 mile in 16.84 at 90MPH. 1/8 mile in 11.21 at 70MPH, 0-60 9.23 sec.

The 5.3 isn't made for racing. If you have the need to race get the 6.2. The 5.3 is the most fuel efficient v8 made. It's a engine that will last your normal driver well over 250,000 miles. 0 to 60 it's not going to win, ever! People buy this engine to have v8 power and get v6 gas mileage.

Archived