2014+ Gas Mileage (MPG) Topic

Lets see that minimum 1,000 mile average stlg8 10,000 plus would be even better lol.

I left my Trip B set on my 2014 for over 50k miles it was a true real world average of 19mpg

What impressed me was that this 2016 6.2 Denali was doing this mpg without babying the truck. Heck it might get better than 30 mpg on the 25 average trip meter if someone wanted to baby it. LOL

Now the big question is how will the Whipple supercharger/headers / CAI and exhaust system affect my mileage???

Lol! If I had your setup on my truck my foot would be buried in the floor board all the time. My question would be how many miles am I getting on a set of tires. I would be driving around looking for F-150 Teapots to pick a fight with ! Btw, are you going to remove the speed limiter? Just curious.

Lets see that minimum 1,000 mile average stlg8 10,000 plus would be even better lol.

I left my Trip B set on my 2014 for over 50k miles it was a true real world average of 19mpg

What impressed me was that this 2016 6.2 Denali was doing this mpg without babying the truck. Heck it might get better than 30 mpg on the 25 average trip meter if someone wanted to baby it. LOL

Now the big question is how will the Whipple supercharger/headers / CAI and exhaust system affect my mileage???

Ha! I would love to see those numbers on a consistent basis, but I know that's impossible with the 5.3 6 speed.

Have fun with the power adder.

Well the supercharger system will be after the 3yrs 36000 mile warranty expires so got a while before that is done but it is fun to talk about it LOL.

Just to add more to the discussion. My truck now has over 40k miles and the lifetime average is 19.6mpg. I still have not reset trip B since buying it new. Some tanks I get 22mpg, others like last week towing the boat a lot I get 13mpg.

Anyone have any experience with oversized tires that are NOT 10ply?
I have 275/70/18 BFG KO2's right now, and while i love them, they MPG loss is pretty substantial because they are pretty heavy.
I'm debating going to some 285/70/17s with new wheels. Nitto makes a terra grappler G2 in a standard P rated casing and a trail grappler/ridge grappler in a C load range casing
Just wondering if anyone has tried these and what their MPG numbers look like.

I'm not offroad much at all and don't tow much either so wondering if these would be a better option for me.

Anyone have any experience with oversized tires that are NOT 10ply?

I have 275/70/18 BFG KO2's right now, and while i love them, they MPG loss is pretty substantial because they are pretty heavy.

I'm debating going to some 285/70/17s with new wheels. Nitto makes a terra grappler G2 in a standard P rated casing and a trail grappler/ridge grappler in a C load range casing

Just wondering if anyone has tried these and what their MPG numbers look like.

I'm not offroad much at all and don't tow much either so wondering if these would be a better option for me.

Doesn't the math workout to those two tires having about the same outside diameter? About the only positive I can see with going to 17" with taller sidewall would be perhaps a little smoother ride due to more flexing. Btw, being you don't go off road or tow much why not just stay with the OEM size? Just curious?

Doesn't the math workout to those two tires having about the same outside diameter? About the only positive I can see with going to 17" with taller sidewall would be perhaps a little smoother ride due to more flexing. Btw, being you don't go off road or tow much why not just stay with the OEM size? Just curious?

They are a similar outside diameter (275/70/18 is about 33.2 and 285/70/17 is about 32.8 but since BFG's run small in my experience, they are probably about the same diameter). They are the height i would prefer to have, i like the look. But the weight of the lighter casing tires is quite a bit less. The nitto Terra Grappler in a 285/70/17 P casing is 44.5lbs while the BFG AT KO2 i have in 275/70/18 Load range E 10-ply casing is 57.7 lbs (weights are according to Amazon). So losing about 13 lbs per corner just in the tires. (The wheels i'm looking at, I believe, are lighter than stock as well)

Just wondering how the tires perform in this casing as i feel like they will help with gain back some power loss from the heavier tires and get some MPG's back as well.

Edited by tyrich88

They are a similar outside diameter (275/70/18 is about 33.2 and 285/70/17 is about 32.8 but since BFG's run small in my experience, they are probably about the same diameter). They are the height i would prefer to have, i like the look. But the weight of the lighter casing tires is quite a bit less. The nitto Terra Grappler in a 285/70/17 P casing is 44.5lbs while the BFG AT KO2 i have in 275/70/18 Load range E 10-ply casing is 57.7 lbs (weights are according to Amazon). So losing about 13 lbs per corner just in the tires. (The wheels i'm looking at, I believe, are lighter than stock as well)

Just wondering how the tires perform in this casing as i feel like they will help with gain back some power loss from the heavier tires and get some MPG's back as well.

Thanks, interesting for sure. Well, I suppose all other things being equal the lesser weight tires would require less energy to turn them. I would say you should go with your best judgment. Appears to me that you're the expert on this topic :)

Thanks, interesting for sure. Well, I suppose all other things being equal the lesser weight tires would require less energy to turn them. I would say you should go with your best judgment. Appears to me that you're the expert on this topic :)

That's what I am thinking is less energy to turn would equal better MPG, but I don't know how well the tires hold up. I've never run them and don't know anyone that has in a P rated casing.

That's what I am thinking is less energy to turn would equal better MPG, but I don't know how well the tires hold up. I've never run them and don't know anyone that has in a P rated casing.

Well, you got my curiosity going. I'm a Discount Tire guy. So, went to their site and used their comparison chart on your 285/70/17 tire. The Nitto Terra Grappler G2 got the top rating of 9.1 (excellent) out of seventeen tires. Interestingly it was also the least expensive $186. I'm a Michelin guy and the Defender LTX M/S got the lowest rating of 7.5 (good). And, it was the most expensive $241. Guess I'm going to have to re-think my allegence to Michelin, lol :)

Well, you got my curiosity going. I'm a Discount Tire guy. So, went to their site and used their comparison chart on your 285/70/17 tire. The Nitto Terra Grappler G2 got the top rating of 9.1 (excellent) out of seventeen tires. Interestingly it was also the least expensive $186. I'm a Michelin guy and the Defender LTX M/S got the lowest rating of 7.5 (good). And, it was the most expensive $241. Guess I'm going to have to re-think my allegence to Michelin, lol :)

That's a good point, but I will say, I had a set of Michelin tires on my last truck and i LOVED them (they were LTX MS2's). I also am a big fan of the BFG KO2's that I have now.

I'm mainly just curious about how much I may gain from switching to P rated tires in a similar size. Wondering if it would be worth the trouble of switching ... when it comes time for new tires of course.

Side note: I know my grill guard is probably putting a decent hit on my gas mileage as well. I've thought about getting rid of that several times, but I'm still not convinced it's worth the gain to get rid of it.
I would like to go to a full bumper replacement with a bull nose, which would help aerodynamics i'm sure.

Well, sitting here mulling over the stock market; think the bubble is about to burst or does it still have legs? What's that saying, pigs get fat hogs get slaughtered, lol? Anyway, been noodling. Made some assumptions. Let's say one drives 20,000 miles per year, gets 20mpg, gas cost $2.00/gal. Your annual cost for gas would be $2,000. Let's say you do something to improve your mileage to 21mpg. Now, your annual cost for gas would be $1,904. A savings of $96 per year. So, you can assume that for each mile per gallon improvement you make to your truck you will save about $96. That's not much. Personally, it appears to me that the small amount of savings possibly gained isn't worth the money and effort. Well, back to the market; should I be a pig or a hog. Thinking I will be a pig and take some profit. Another old saying comes to mind; trees don't grow to the sky. Let us know what you decide :)

Well, sitting here mulling over the stock market; think the bubble is about to burst or does it still have legs? What's that saying, pigs get fat hogs get slaughtered, lol? Anyway, been noodling. Made some assumptions. Let's say one drives 20,000 miles per year, gets 20mpg, gas cost $2.00/gal. Your annual cost for gas would be $2,000. Let's say you do something to improve your mileage to 21mpg. Now, your annual cost for gas would be $1,904. A savings of $96 per year. So, you can assume that for each mile per gallon improvement you make to your truck you will save about $96. That's not much. Personally, it appears to me that the small amount of savings possibly gained isn't worth the money and effort. Well, back to the market; should I be a pig or a hog. Thinking I will be a pig and take some profit. Another old saying comes to mind; trees don't grow to the sky. Let us know what you decide :)

Will do haha

The main reason for me considering this is because my highway MPG is down to about 15-16 from the 20 it was before the tires and grill guard. I figure each addition was worth a couple MPG loss. The lighter tires would help with city mileage too.... idk we shall see.