2014+ Gas Mileage (MPG) Topic

Will do haha

The main reason for me considering this is because my highway MPG is down to about 15-16 from the 20 it was before the tires and grill guard. I figure each addition was worth a couple MPG loss. The lighter tires would help with city mileage too.... idk we shall see.

I'm surprised your mileage is that low. I run Toyo LT285/70/17 10 ply tires on mine, I have my air damn trimmed up and I can easily get 15-16 using E85. On regular 87 I get in the 19's. Longer all freeway trips I've seen 20-21 mpg to the tankfull. I wonder if that grill guard is really affecting it that much. I would not have guessed that. How easy is it to pull off? That could be a useful test to see.

I'm surprised your mileage is that low. I run Toyo LT285/70/17 10 ply tires on mine, I have my air damn trimmed up and I can easily get 15-16 using E85. On regular 87 I get in the 19's. Longer all freeway trips I've seen 20-21 mpg to the tankfull. I wonder if that grill guard is really affecting it that much. I would not have guessed that. How easy is it to pull off? That could be a useful test to see.

It's only 6 bolts if I don't pull off the mounts. I'm thinking about pulling it off for the next road trip I go on to see what the change is.

The main reason I think that has something to do with it is because it would have to mess with the aerodynamics of the front end of the truck quite a bit.

Next time I get out on the highway I will take it off and see how it does. Thanks for the input. I've had the grill guard since right after I bought this truck.

I did take a road trip the weekend I got the truck (it already had these tires on it) and I think my overall average for the trip was 19. So maybe it's having more of a hit than i thought... I didn't think back to that first road trip until now.

It's only 6 bolts if I don't pull off the mounts. I'm thinking about pulling it off for the next road trip I go on to see what the change is.

The main reason I think that has something to do with it is because it would have to mess with the aerodynamics of the front end of the truck quite a bit.

Next time I get out on the highway I will take it off and see how it does. Thanks for the input. I've had the grill guard since right after I bought this truck.

I did take a road trip the weekend I got the truck (it already had these tires on it) and I think my overall average for the trip was 19. So maybe it's having more of a hit than i thought... I didn't think back to that first road trip until now.

I was thinking if you don't go off road, why would you need a brush guard. Then, I noticed in your profile you're in west Texas. Then, the light bulb came on, about the tires and grill guard, plus I'm guessing you're a young buckeroo, lol :) if you don't mind my asking, where abouts are you located? I currently live in Plano but lived several years in Lubbock and Midland, still have a deer lease west of Crowell on the Pease River.

I was thinking if you don't go off road, why would you need a brush guard. Then, I noticed in your profile you're in west Texas. Then, the light bulb came on, about the tires and grill guard, plus I'm guessing you're a young buckeroo, lol :) if you don't mind my asking, where abouts are you located? I currently live in Plano but lived several years in Lubbock and Midland, still have a deer lease west of Crowell on the Pease River.

I live in Lubbock. In regards to the grill guard and beefier tires, I drive down to the sweetwater area to hunt several times a year (family owns land down there), and there are a lot of deer and other things in the road, especially when i'm driving there at night. My wife and I also go camping in the mountains of colorado and new mexico several times a year. So while i'm not off-road that much during the year, there are several weekends where i am, it's just all fairly mild. No rocks or anything crazy. Just jeep roads in the mountains and dirt roads in Texas.

I live in Lubbock. In regards to the grill guard and beefier tires, I drive down to the sweetwater area to hunt several times a year (family owns land down there), and there are a lot of deer and other things in the road, especially when i'm driving there at night. My wife and I also go camping in the mountains of colorado and new mexico several times a year. So while i'm not off-road that much during the year, there are several weekends where i am, it's just all fairly mild. No rocks or anything crazy. Just jeep roads in the mountains and dirt roads in Texas.

Understand, that's about the same way I use my truck. I usually tow my 25' TT to Copper Breaks State Park for base camp when on my lease as I don't like to leave it sitting empty out in the boonies. Btw, speaking of Sweetwater, I've been to the Sweetwater Rattle Snake Roundup a couple of times, quite an experience. Here's a hot link that our lurkers may find interesting. sweetwater rattlesnake roundup 2016

• 3 weeks later...

Mileage is RUINED!!!! I had the GM Borla cat back dual exhaust installed at my dealership a couple weeks ago and now my mileage average has dropped like a ROCK. All due to my right foot! Man this Borla exhaust system sounds sweet especially when accelerating. I am hoping that I will get used to the awesome exhaust sound in a few weeks and go back to driving normal, there is always hope....................

• Like 1

Mileage is RUINED!!!! I had the GM Borla cat back dual exhaust installed at my dealership a couple weeks ago and now my mileage average has dropped like a ROCK. All due to my right foot! Man this Borla exhaust system sounds sweet especially when accelerating. I am hoping that I will get used to the awesome exhaust sound in a few weeks and go back to driving normal, there is always hope....................

What's the GM Borla system cost if you don't mind my asking? Also, do you now have to carry your spare in the truck bed?

What's the GM Borla system cost if you don't mind my asking? Also, do you now have to carry your spare in the truck bed?

GM Borla with flapper valve system cost 1289 at my dealership plus install and tip cost. Tennessee sales tax and all was close to 1600 System does not affect the spare tire it is still in the same spot.

If I had a "do over" i would have just modified my factory exhaust the Borla system does a pretty good job of masking the V4 helicopter noise HOWEVER l hear a big difference when going at a slow speed and the V4 kicks in. To me it is annoying and I will probably be ordering the range device to lock the V4 out even the Borla cannot eliminate the helicopter sound!!!!! I wish someone had told me this before I spent the cash. I will try to get a sound bite in the near future of the tone change when it goes to V4

Fuel mileage is down due to heavy right foot. Keep in mind the helicopter sound only occurs when more or less coasting and I have not been doing very much coasting lately haha

Edited by MyFavTruck

GM Borla with flapper valve system cost 1289 at my dealership plus install and tip cost. Tennessee sales tax and all was close to 1600 System does not affect the spare tire it is still in the same spot.

If I had a "do over" i would have just modified my factory exhaust the Borla system does a pretty good job of masking the V4 helicopter noise HOWEVER l hear a big difference when going at a slow speed and the V4 kicks in. To me it is annoying and I will probably be ordering the range device to lock the V4 out even the Borla cannot eliminate the helicopter sound!!!!! I wish someone had told me this before I spent the cash. I will try to get a sound bite in the near future of the tone change when it goes to V4

attachicon.giffuel mileage 6.2 .JPG

Thanks, and appreciate your candid critique of the system. About the V-4 sound problem; not sure there's much that can be done about that. A four cylinder engine is what it is. Just a side note; I read the other day that the 2017 Raptor is coming out with true dual exhaust which is the way to go when it comes to dual exhaust. These cat-back systems are nothing more than noise makers imho as they do nothing to improve flow through or reduce back pressure hence performance. I would be very happy to pay for a true dual exhaust system as a factory installed option. Wish GM would get off the dime and offer such a setup.