2014+ Gas Mileage (MPG) Topic

If you don't have AFM disabled, I'd consider the Dynomax VT rather than the Ultra Flo. The VT will minimize the helicopter sound in 4cly mode.

Ok. Thanks. I had dynomax race bullet on my 2014 and helicopter noise was very present. I'm really interested in possibly trying the borla pro xs muffler in place of the dynomax muffler down the road.

• Like 1

Ok. Thanks. I had dynomax race bullet on my 2014 and helicopter noise was very present. I'm really interested in possibly trying the borla pro xs muffler in place of the dynomax muffler down the road.

I ran that Borla (40359) in that exact Dynomax catback setup. It sounds great, but I also have AFM tuned out.

You can start with this video of mine on youtube, then find some others with the Borla.

I have a 14" Magnaflow and love it.

I don't notice the chopper sound at all really.

How loud are you wanting?

The only thing I have to base off is the race bullet on my 2014 5.3 It was too loud for my desire on a 2-3 hour road trip. So, something quiter than race bullet.

I ran that Borla (40359) in that exact Dynomax catback setup. It sounds great, but I also have AFM tuned out.

You can start with this video of mine on youtube, then find some others with the Borla.

Sounds great. Did you have ultra flo muffler prior?

• Like 1

Sounds great. Did you have ultra flo muffler prior?

I had the VT prior, as I had AFM still active when I bought the catback. But, once I tuned out AFM, I wanted a muffler with more sound.

The VT is decent in my opinion, I just didn't care for the sound on heavy acceleration. Sounded empty to me. Normal accel and start up was just fine.

I had the VT prior, as I had AFM still active when I bought the catback. But, once I tuned out AFM, I wanted a muffler with more sound.

The VT is decent in my opinion, I just didn't care for the sound on heavy acceleration. Sounded empty to me. Normal accel and start up was just fine.

So is the borla a deeper tone than VT? Edited by Aldila

So is the borla a deeper tone than VT?

Yup, my ears tell me so.

That Dynomax catback kit (regardless if you select Ultra Flo or VT) is great for trying out mufflers. You can swap just about any 3" muffler into it, if you don't like the muffler you get with the kit.

Yup, my ears tell me so.

That Dynomax catback kit (regardless if you select Ultra Flo or VT) is great for trying out mufflers. You can swap just about any 3" muffler into it, if you don't like the muffler you get with the kit.

Yeah, that and the price has me leaning that direction. Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

Yeah, that and the price has me leaning that direction. Thanks for the help!

No problem at all. Good luck!

PM me with any other questions, I'll let this MPG topic get back on track :)

The only thing I have to base off is the race bullet on my 2014 5.3 It was too loud for my desire on a 2-3 hour road trip. So, something quiter than race bullet.

If you want a good shop recommendation, University Muffler here in Lubbock on 34th and Memphis is outstanding. I've taken every one of my trucks there and they do an outstanding job. They custom bend their own pipe too. and it's VERY well priced.

• 3 weeks later...

I just scanned through the thread to see if anyone was commenting on the 6.2 8spd improved fuel mileage. I am pleasantly surprised that this 2016 6.2 8spd Denali gets better gas mileage than what my 2014 5.3 6spd CC Z71 4x4 was getting. This is with a LOT of remote start cooldowns and about 1/2 of these miles are city stop and go type traffic plus I pulled my enclosed trailer for a couple hundred miles of the approx 1600.

Is this even possible with a 420 hp 3 ton beast of a truck?? come on man....... Why didn't I trade SOONER?

Edited by MyFavTruck

I just scanned through the thread to see if anyone was commenting on the 6.2 8spd improved fuel mileage. I am pleasantly surprised that this 2016 6.2 8spd Denali gets better gas mileage than what my 2014 5.3 6spd CC Z71 4x4 was getting. This is with a LOT of remote start cooldowns and about 1/2 of these miles are city stop and go type traffic plus I pulled my enclosed trailer for a couple hundred miles of the approx 1600.

attachicon.gif400 mile average 7-15-16.JPG

attachicon.gifhour meter 7-15-16.JPG

attachicon.giftotal miles 7-15-16.JPG

attachicon.giftrip B 7-15-16.JPG

Is this even possible with a 420 hp 3 ton beast of a truck?? come on man....... Why didn't I trade SOONER?

I had the same experience. Although, my comparison was a 2008 5.3/4 spd vs a 2015 6.2/8 spd. So, I was comparing old technology engine against new technology engine. So, not very apples to apples. But anyway, my new 6.2 beat my old 5.3 no matter how I measured the mpg, highway, in-town, towing. And, what I especially like about the 6.2 is that it tows my 6,200 lb TT effortlessly. Now, I can just set the cruise and enjoy the drive. Happy, happy camper. Btw, I think your Denali dash and gauge setup is very cool! Really like it!

This past Saturday I wanted to see what the highest MPG I could get on a 240 mile trip.

Most of the journey was rolling 2 lane hwy in Missouri.

I have a 2014 Crew cab Z71 4x4 5.3 with 6 speed.

I was averaging 50 - 60 MPH, the best was 29 MPG.

Unless I change my driving habits greatly, this mileage is not sustainable as I was coasting & feathering a lot toward the last 75 miles of the trip to push the numbers higher.

My normal Hwy MPG has been in the 22-24 range with MPH of 65-70.

I think I can learn how to increase long term hwy mileage to 25 MPG.

It made a boring trip more enjoyable.

post-141052-0-79074200-1468894809_thumb.jpg

Lets see that minimum 1,000 mile average stlg8 10,000 plus would be even better lol.

I left my Trip B set on my 2014 for over 50k miles it was a true real world average of 19mpg

What impressed me was that this 2016 6.2 Denali was doing this mpg without babying the truck. Heck it might get better than 30 mpg on the 25 average trip meter if someone wanted to baby it. LOL

Now the big question is how will the Whipple supercharger/headers / CAI and exhaust system affect my mileage???