2014 Window Tint

Is the consensus that 20% window tint on the front windows the closest match to the factory tint in the rear ?

Also.. I normally get 35% on the front windows. My understanding is you can get 5%, 20%, 35%, etc. Do they make a film somewhere around 25-30% ?

I want something a little darker than 35%.. but not too dark like 20%

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 20% is not that dark during the day, but it is very dark at night.... They matched perfectly with the factory rear tint..

also depending on your interior color... The black interior will make the tint darker than the percentage of the tint itself....

According to my tint guy, that is correct. 20% tint matches exactly what is in the glass. Not sure about the percentage being darker because of interior. The tint may look darker from outside of the vehicle if you have dark interior, but it won't make the tint darker or harder to see out of because of interior color.

External light is the visibility factor in the equation.

20% tint means it lets 20% of the light from outside into the vehicle. So if it is dark out, and no street lights, then, yes, it is difficult to see out of. I have had 5% tint on every vehicle I have owned and if I ever have an issue seeing out, which is usually just when I am backing out of somewhere in the pitch dark, I just roll all the windows down and I am fine.

With the reverse came and windows down, no issues at all. :-)

I am sure they do make it. Depends on the brand I guess. My tint guy only uses 3M tint and carries 35%, 20%, 5% for vehicles.

• 3 weeks later...

The rear side windows are 20%, while the back window is 23% (On my 2014 Sierra) . In many states, 20% is too dark for the front windows, and 35% is the max allowable on these windows. Check your local laws.

I tried a new product the tint applicator said is similar to the substance put on the heat tiles on the space shuttle. It is purported to block out 90% of heat transmission while allowing the same choices of tint coloration; i.e. 20%, 30%, etc. I had the non-tinted put on the front windshield. And went with 30% on the side front windows to avoid any questions with law enforcement.

It is too early to see if it is effective yet compared to regular tint. From what he told me there have been similar products out in the market place, but this is new as of February or so of this year.

I have had several vehicles that I tried to match. 20% from the outside does match, but inside appears darker than factory smoked windows if not tinting back windows. I use 30 on wife's Tahoe and it matches good inside and out and not quite as cop attracting.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• 5 months later...

I was told by the tint place doing mine that the rear tint was actually made into the glass and did little to nothing to block solar/UV rays or heat. They said it was purely for looks so I had them go over it also when they did the truck. Don't know if its true or not.

When I did mine, I did 20% on the front doors and then a lighter on the rear over the factory tiny. I think the factory tint in the rear was 30-35% ish. I can not remember what they guy said.

I did 35% on my front windows. In bright sunlight, you can see a slight difference between front windows and stock tinted rear windows; however in standard weather conditions, I like the blend. Allows good inside/outside visibility.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Archived