Adding Aftermarket Sub/Amp

The Bose amp is in the same location bolted to the rear of the cab. I even thought it was identical until I started trying to match up the wiring to what everyone else was using.

Thanks for the conformation. I will prob get the Bose with bench seat since it includes an amp. Then later down the road i can just add a sub and not mess with the door speakers.

Are all the 8" infotainment systems Bose? Or how do I tell if I have it? I have 2 speakers in the dash and one in all 4 doors, bench seat so no sub.

Bose is an additional $500 option. If your lower front door speakers do not have a Bose emblem then it is the standard non Bose. Please check under the rear seat and see of you have an amp bolted to the back of the cab? Maybe all systems come with an amp?

• Like 1

CD / SD/ USB will sound better on every system...higher bit rate. XM / pandora .. I never listen to.. sounds like garbage. The local radio stations sound better than those.. especially with the HD feature these new radios have.

The Bose sounds great to me..could use a little more treble in my opinion. Base is good for what it is.

UPDATE: I discovered a significant flaw with this setup. The signal sent by the factory Bose amp to Bose sub contains only very lowest of frequencies, a more narrow range than expected. As a result, certain low drum and bass guitar sounds don't reach the aftermarket sub. So you'll be listening and during certain parts of songs it seems like the sub shut off! It's rare playing rap but is noticeable on 1/3 of rock songs I listen to.

Definitely need to rewire with a PAC plug in adapter or find a factory wiring guide.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I discovered a significant flaw with this setup. The signal sent by the factory Bose amp to Bose sub contains only very lowest of frequencies, a more narrow range than expected. As a result, certain low drum and bass guitar sounds don't reach the aftermarket sub. So you'll be listening and during certain parts of songs it seems like the sub shut off! It's rare playing rap but is noticeable on 1/3 of rock songs I listen to.

Definitely need to rewire with a PAC plug in adapter or find a factory wiring guide.

Scratch that! Turns out my Xover/Amp was crapping out. Bought a new amp and everything sounds great.

• Like 1

I have a non bose nav unit. There has to be an amp somewhere, even if its small. I've opened up the dash and found the xm/fm reciever, Onstar VCIM, and the cd drive behind the display. The MyLink computer is behind the glove boxes. None of those appear to have the speaker wiring to them.

Sometime this week ill trace the speaker wires from one of the doors.

Nice write up, cool to see more people working out the audio.

Edited by OhmMega

I also have nav with non Bose system, I have been searching for the amp also. Looked behind the rear seat found no amp or wiring. I would like to upgrade my audio, any help would be appreciated. Is the touch screen module the same in a stock unit compared to a Bose equipped truck?

If you happen to have the version of Bose without the sub (like me), the wiring is a little different. I was able to grab a very clean signal from the front door speakers. I had trouble finding any wiring info, so here it is if anyone needs it.

Right Front + : Yellow/Black

Right Front - : Yellow

Left Front + : Brown/Blue

Left Front - : Blue

These wires are all in the farthest driver's side harness.

Any idea if this is the same for non bose nav unit?

I have attached a picture of the wiring harness located on the drivers side near the emergency brake in my truck. I have the non Bose audio system, Can anyone identify if it is the wiring harness that contains the speaker wire? Thanks

post-124473-0-06633700-1381857116_thumb.jpg

Here is some (unverified) info I got today from a reliable source....

2014 Silverado without Bose:

ITEM WIRE COLOR LOCATION

Left Front Speaker (+/-) // blue - brown/blue // radio, green 16 pin plug, pins 1 - 9

Right Front Speaker (+/-) // yellow - yellow/black // radio, green 16 pin plug, pins 2 - 10

Left Rear Speaker (+/-) // green - green/black // radio, green 16 pin plug, pins 3 - 11

Right Rear Speaker (+/-) // white - blue/black // radio, green 16 pin plug, pins 4 - 12

I was hoping to just tap in at one of the plugs in or near the BCM, which may be possible, I just don't know. A tip that I got is to pull the B-Pillar panel (between front & rear doors), pull back or cut the tape on the wires going into the rear door to look for the speaker wires. It should be the ONLY TWISTED PAIR in the bundle. I may go this route since I don't know if there is an amp after the green 16 pin plug at the radio.

Thanks for the info. I have to take my truck back to the dealer(they forgot to install my led bed lights) I will try to get a wiring diagram of the audio system. Still looking for amp.

Edited by dmd277