Mylink = my disappointment

Hello everyone. New to this site, but not new to Chevrolet trucks. I've owned a 1996, 2000, 2009, 2011, and now a 2014 Silverado. Have loved them all.

So, I have Mylink with navigation... I am very disappointed. For starters, during the first 3-8 minutes of a journey in the truck (from system start), everything on the mylink takes a very long time to react to changes. If I want to start navigation, 10-15 second delay. If I want to switch to media... the same. Half the time, when I go to the home screen, and press Nav (ONCE!), I get the icon edit screen... It is sooo slow and so buggy. Takes forever to switch stations, screens, etc.

I listen to music through my ipod. On my 2013, I could switch songs (pressing next/forward) in about one second... On the 2014 with Mylink, it takes anywhere between 3 and 10 seconds, each time. Completely unacceptable, considering my 2013 was so much faster. Isn't this supposed to be better?

Then we come to the Nav. First of all, I don't see any way to save my current location as a POI or favorite. It only lets you enter addresses and then save that to a contact. Many of my locations don't have addresses (middle of fields, out in the country), and other times, the address isn't exactly accurate. On any other GPS, you can save your current location. If there IS a way to do this, it sure isn't intuitive. I still carry my Garmin with me... thought I wouldn't need it anymore. Also, is there a way to set "Home"?

Hopefully there will be significant improvements with software updates in the near future, but I'm not holding my breath. This was an expensive option that I wish I could get my money back for.

Are others experiencing these same symptoms? I just bought the truck the end of September, and it had just been delivered to the dealer.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Mylink works fine. Hopefully with a little software tuning it will get better. But as is it is a real nice system and so far im really impressed with it! Especiallly the navigation..

Hmm. Well, being the big GM fan that I am, I have to believe there is something wrong with mine then. I simply can't believe how GM could release such a crappy infotainment system... so maybe there is an issue with mine.

I just went out to the truck, turned the key. It took about 20 seconds for audio to play... and over a minute to change to the navigation screen. Then once it got there, it wasn't responding to any button presses for another 15 seconds. It's really bad.

OMG quite complaining, the my link is not going to be as fast as the newest smartphones or PC's......... Be thankful you have what you have because there are worse systems in other vehicles.

That is sad. Why don't these idiots just implement a tablet interface with some serious hardware for their system. For what these things cost how much would it add to use something like this. The android system would work awesome considering the integration of Google maps, Google music, and my tracks. GM engineers like to try and reinvent the wheel, hence the square wheel wells. What some DAs, whoever thinks it is OK and whining for it to be OK to have to wait longer than absolute immediate timing to change a freaking track, is easy to please. Doesn't matter what the competition is doing. This should be setting a standard.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk now Free

Just a little fyi for those that have mylink but don't have nav, you actually do have nav. As long as you have a smart phone with the onstar link app installed on your phone, the mylink and the app start to talk to one another and you can now have route guidance (turn by turn navi) with audio and visual. I think it uses the gps built into your phone which is pretty clever if you ask me. I used it today for the first time and it worked just like any other nav I've used. As far as the system being slow, your just going to have to wait for a software update and then GM will do it for free.

OMG quite complaining, the my link is not going to be as fast as the newest smartphones or PC's......... Be thankful you have what you have because there are worse systems in other vehicles.

I completely disagree! The creators of MyLink (GM, or more likely an outside vendor) completely skimped on its creation & implementation.

The hardware component is underpowered and too slow to run the applications efficiently. My '03 Accord's completely integrated nav (not like GM's 2007-13 simple double-din drop-in nav) worked much better. It loaded faster and the touch screen responded almost instantly. Meanwhile, my new Sierra's always takes awhile to start-up and the touch screen is often slow to react. Bottom line: they cut corners when it comes to processing power.

The software is also an issue, but compared to the hardware, is easier to live with. The audio system bugs me b/c despite indicating the power symbol on the left knob, there is no real way to turn off the power. This 'power button' is actually a mute. So unlike previous GM vehicles, you can't just quickly kill the power & pause the audio. If you want to pause, you must be on the audio screen. As for the nav, to me, it's almost worthless. Compared to my 5 or 6 year old Garmin it's junk! (and my old Garmin responded quicker to touch screen inputs) I tried using my nav a few times and gave up.. went back to using Google on iPhone.

Maybe GM will polish out some the software issues down the road but I seriously doubt they'll ever offer a free hardware upgrade. Guess that's the price we pay being early new model adopters.

I completely disagree! The creators of MyLink (GM, or more likely an outside vendor) completely skimped on its creation & implementation.

The hardware component is underpowered and too slow to run the applications efficiently. My '03 Accord's completely integrated nav (not like GM's 2007-13 simple double-din drop-in nav) worked much better. It loaded faster and the touch screen responded almost instantly. Meanwhile, my new Sierra's always takes awhile to start-up and the touch screen is often slow to react. Bottom line: they cut corners when it comes to processing power.

The software is also an issue, but compared to the hardware, is easier to live with. The audio system bugs me b/c despite indicating the power symbol on the left knob, there is no real way to turn off the power. This 'power button' is actually a mute. So unlike previous GM vehicles, you can't just quickly kill the power & pause the audio. If you want to pause, you must be on the audio screen. As for the nav, to me, it's almost worthless. Compared to my 5 or 6 year old Garmin it's junk! (and my old Garmin responded quicker to touch screen inputs) I tried using my nav a few times and gave up.. went back to using Google on iPhone.

Maybe GM will polish out some the software issues down the road but I seriously doubt they'll ever offer a free hardware upgrade. Guess that's the price we pay being early new model adopters.

If you hold the power button in for like 2 seconds it does shut off. Simply pressing the power button only mutes it..

If you hold the power button in for like 2 seconds it does shut off. Simply pressing the power button only mutes it..

Seriously? Sweet! I asked the dealer & GM corp about it and no one knew that.

GM-Trucks Forum comes through for me again! :thumbs::cheers::flag:

Seriously? Sweet! I asked the dealer & GM corp about it and no one knew that.

GM-Trucks Forum comes through for me again! :thumbs::cheers::flag:

lol, glad to help! I have learned a few odd things just messing with it, then ill find it in the owners manual afterwards..

Just a little fyi for those that have mylink but don't have nav, you actually do have nav. As long as you have a smart phone with the onstar link app installed on your phone, the mylink and the app start to talk to one another and you can now have route guidance (turn by turn navi) with audio and visual. I think it uses the gps built into your phone which is pretty clever if you ask me. I used it today for the first time and it worked just like any other nav I've used. As far as the system being slow, your just going to have to wait for a software update and then GM will do it for free.

FYI that is OnStar's turn by turn navigation and after 6 months you will have to pay for it. it uses the same GPS module that OnStar uses to locate your vehicle in the event of a crash...

Seriously? I don't believe I ever said I expect it to be that fast. I do expect it to be USEABLE, and have basic nav functions that my 5 year old Garmin has. Also, it should NOT take 5-10 seconds to change songs... Inexcusable for a 50 thousand dollar truck.

Archived