How many miles between new brakes?

This is a question for all GMT900 owners, my truck has 70,000 miles and has gone through 8-9 sets of brake pads and a set of rotors.

Around 6000 miles ago I put top-tier Raybestos pads, and just yesterday I could've sworn I heard the wear indicator starting to squeal.

Is this normal? At this point I'm changing brake pads more often than I change oil. :dunno:

2007, original owner.

35K miles and still have original brakes. 8-9 sets in 71K miles. Thats like every 8K miles you change your brake pads?

I sold my GMT800 with the original front pads at 89K. Still had plenty of wear left.

I have like 54k on my truck, original brakes. What on earth kind of driving are you doing to change brakes as often as some change oil?

Like I said, I'm not hard on my brakes at all. I do live in a hilly city, but I downshift on steep down hills and generally drive calmly. I have probably driven it hard less than 10 times in the six years I've had it.

Holy sheep dip! This is not normal.

Normally I expect to do the brakes at 100,000 km = 60,000 miles.

My 2009 had 140,000 km = 84,000 miles and brakes still good when I traded it off.

Something is amiss.

My 99 had 186,000 miles on it and I never changed the brake pads on it, I looked at them when I put tires on it at 100,000 and they looked good but I pulled them off any way and could not believe how good they looked put them back on and kept driving it. Had a f150 work truck one time that had brake problems like that, when it got the oil changed it got new brakes and rotors every other time, the stock brakes went 28,000 miles and then it went to heck on that truck. We even took it back to the dealer and the first set of pads on it lasted 200 miles and they put a new set on and it was a little better but they could never figure out why it ate brake pads like it did. :jester:

That is odd if your running stock wheels and tires. My 08 Sierra was chewing thu breaks and rotors as bad as yours is but I had those killing looking factory '20 wheels that were casuing my rotors to glaz and warp. I just did the breaks on my 2012 with 33k on the clock, the OEM still had some life but I wanted to get to them early to save my rotors. Plus I drive in stop and go traffic.

Archived