2017 model year = new Duramax engine

Defiance Plant Makes 2017 DMax Beta Blocks
Defiance Plant 1 recently produced the first block
castings for the next generation of Duramax engines.
These iron block castings will be machined at the GM
Powertrain Engineering Headquarters in Pontiac and be
used for the 2017 MY Beta test engines. Many thanks to
the Defiance folks that helped make these blocks in the
core room, foundry and finishing as well as maintenance
and the pattern shop. It is important that our plant be
involved right from the start with the development of
the next great Duramax engine.

2017_Duramax.jpg

Here's the PDF rehosted...2013.03.15_powernews.pdf

2013.03.15_powernews.pdf

2017_Duramax.jpg

2013.03.15_powernews.pdf

2017_Duramax.jpg

2013.03.15_powernews.pdf

2017_Duramax.jpg

If they are doing it in house, does that mean there is a better possibility of them developing a diesel for the 1/2 tons?

GM has to release a diesel engine for the half tons, or they will perish.

Dodge has already announced it, and is doing it. Nissan has a cummins diesel going into their half ton trucks, and it's boasting way higher numbers then the Dodge diesel is. It won't be long and Ford will reveal a mini powerjoke for it's F-150's.

In today's market place, if you can't compete, you won't make it. I definitely believe GM will release a half ton diesel engine, but when? Who the heck knows.

Very interesting! I have heard rumors that the next generation Duramax design is based on the 4.5L that didn't make it into production, we'ii see if that rumor is true or not.

Wonder if a new gas engine is coming for the HD's as well........

Now, if someone could tell me what the K3XX and T1XX programs are........

Very interesting! I have heard rumors that the next generation Duramax design is based on the 4.5L that didn't make it into production, we'ii see if that rumor is true or not.

Wonder if a new gas engine is coming for the HD's as well........

Now, if someone could tell me what the K3XX and T1XX programs are........

If that were true...composite graphite block, 72 degree V8, dual overhead cam and a whole host of other trick features?

Would be quite an advanced diesel IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

GM has to release a diesel engine for the half tons, or they will perish.

Dodge has already announced it, and is doing it. Nissan has a cummins diesel going into their half ton trucks, and it's boasting way higher numbers then the Dodge diesel is. It won't be long and Ford will reveal a mini powerjoke for it's F-150's.

In today's market place, if you can't compete, you won't make it. I definitely believe GM will release a half ton diesel engine, but when? Who the heck knows.

All this diesel talk is great-but the payload numbers on the Dodge isn't better than the gas motors. So I for one, am not sure what the reasons are putting a diesel in a half ton truck. If you can't tow any more than a gas motor-it doesn't make much sense IMHO.

All this diesel talk is great-but the payload numbers on the Dodge isn't better than the gas motors. So I for one, am not sure what the reasons are putting a diesel in a half ton truck. If you can't tow any more than a gas motor-it doesn't make much sense IMHO.

That has to do with the fact that the pickup itself is still a half ton.

The entire drive-train, suspension and frame are not designed to tow anything heavier then what they are already rated for. Just because the diesel engine might be able to do it, doesn't mean the rest of the truck could handle an increased towing weight. That's the whole point of stepping up to a 3/4 ton.

Never thought of it that way, but now that I have, it doesn't make sense to me either. Slightly better efficiency and longevity is all I can see being gained, but that may be enough. Either way, it's cool to see them trying new things to keep the market new. In the end that's all they are really doing. IMO of course.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

The HD diesels run on the same frame and running gear as the 6.0 gasser. Yet people buy them.

Half ton is no different. It makes no less sense to put a diesel in a half ton or car than it does to put it in an HD. That is, if it wasn't for all the new emissions laws.

Archived