2014+ Exhaust Systems & Mufflers

I have psoted on this subject in numerous threads, but I think it would be worthy to add my experience once again. I cut my system off behind the third cat and installed a 22" Magnaflow, single in, dual outlet, and custom made two pipes coming straight out the back, with 22" of 4" chrome at the ends. Actually the work was done by a first class Performance Exhaust Shop here in town. That eliminated the resonator at the rear which looks hideous in the right rear wheel well, and also eliminated the flapper valve. It is nice, tight, clean, and professional looking from underneath. It sounds real good and slowly getting better as I get more miles on it. It took me a while to realize it, but TJAY is right, it does sound better outside of the truck. Sitting in the cab with the windows closed, you don't hear half of the actual sound. I kept getting comments on my exhaust and couldn't believe it until I just had my son drive it down the street and back while I stood on the curb...Damn, it DOES sound good. The bottom line here for me...I would do the same thing again, in a micro-second! I only have 800 miles on mine, but it already sounds much better than it did at 400 miles.

Having said all that, no one approach is going to be the magic panacea for the perfect exhaust sound. Everyone has different expectations of what perfect is, and we all do hear things differently. I have Corsa Indys on my Vette along with high flow cats, and Melrose Ceramic coated long tube headers. And it is perfect for the Vette. I also had a Corsa system on a Hummer H3, with resonator eliminated and it did not sound as good as my Denali. Just sharing some of my personal experiences with exhaust mods. Good luck ot everyone with your choice. BTW, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.

OJ

Pics? Video?

Just had an 18" Magnaflow 1 in two out installed on mine. What a difference! I'm old school so I had them run the pipes behind each mudflap with the OEM polished tips.

Sounds really good, no drone even in V4 (hopefully disabled soon).

Had the resonator removed along with the noise making, spring loaded whatchamacallit.

OD price was $200 Dollars, would have been $250 but I had to wait an hour longer as they ran out of shielding gas. Sure beats the $800+ for a Magnaflow catback.

Mike

Edited by mzodarg

Just had an 18" Magnaflow 1 in two out installed on mine. What a difference! I'm old school so I had them run the pipes behind each mudflap with the OEM polished tips.

Sounds really good, no drone even in V4 (hopefully disabled soon).

Had the resonator removed along with the noise making, spring loaded whatchamacallit.

OD price was $200 Dollars, would have been $250 but I had to wait an hour longer as they ran out of shielding gas. Sure beats the $800+ for a Magnaflow catback.

Mike

What is the diameter of our Stock exhaust piping? 2.75"?

What is the part # of the magnaflow Muffler you went with?

I respectfully disagree with the catback system, IMO they aren't worth the money these companies are asking. Not for just an audible sound and no real gains.

Unless someone is going to performance modify their truck, IMO their wasting their money.

Flowmaster would be my last choice especially the 50 series. Again that's my opinion and obviously yours is different.

I put long tubes, highflow cats, solo performance exhaust along with a magnason root supercharger and an enclose CAI on my 650 HP 2010 Camaro. IMO, that's performance.

Just my thought's not intended to ruffle feathers.

Mike

Eh, I hear ya but you're talking about a $50,000 vehicle what's the big deal throwing a decent brand name catback on it? I went with the flowmaster because I do agree I think the catbacks are expensive, I got the flowmaster for $500 shipped to my door, and its 409 stainless w/ 304 tips - same as the magnaflow.

I had JBA 1-3/4" long tubes catless into custom welded magnaflow X pipe into straight pipe (removed resonators) into magnaflow axleback on my G8 - so I'm also familiar w/ performance exhaust (kicking myself for trading that car in) BUT at the end of thed day I want my truck to sound like a truck and I enjoy the music a GM smallblock can produce AND I like the look of the dual redneck side exit tips so I bought the catback LOL

I do think I'll add some headers an intake and get the truck tuned as well, my goal would be to have around 400HP and 430tq @ the crank & that should be attainable w/ those mods.

Eh, I hear ya but you're talking about a $50,000 vehicle what's the big deal throwing a decent brand name catback on it? I went with the flowmaster because I do agree I think the catbacks are expensive, I got the flowmaster for $500 shipped to my door, and its 409 stainless w/ 304 tips - same as the magnaflow.

I had JBA 1-3/4" long tubes catless into custom welded magnaflow X pipe into straight pipe (removed resonators) into magnaflow axleback on my G8 - so I'm also familiar w/ performance exhaust (kicking myself for trading that car in) BUT at the end of thed day I want my truck to sound like a truck and I enjoy the music a GM smallblock can produce AND I like the look of the dual redneck side exit tips so I bought the catback LOL

I do think I'll add some headers an intake and get the truck tuned as well, my goal would be to have around 400HP and 430tq @ the crank & that should be attainable w/ those mods.

I understand your thought process. I was on the fence with what to go with, I asked a local muffler shop that I've used numerous times what he suggested. 18" MF was what he told me. I asked about the 50 series FM and the Super 40 along with the 22" MF and his reply was FM 50 will sound damn near like stock, 40 will drone and MF 22" will be similiar to stock also. He sayed : "you want it to sound like a small block chevy, right? " so that's how I ended up with the 18" MF.

400 HP and 430 of torque may be attainable for 5.3 not sure what they are from the factory. I do know that my 2010 Camaro with a 6.2, long tubes and solo exhaust with a mild cam only hit 400 both sides to the rear wheels. Crank HP was most likely in the mid to high 400's.

I too love the redneck look :D .

Hope to get a tune soon, just not sure who to go with yet.

Mike

Edited by mzodarg
  • Like 2

I understand your thought process. I was on the fence with what to go with, I asked a local muffler shop that I've used numerous times what he suggested. 18" MF was what he told me. I asked about the 50 series FM and the Super 40 along with the 22" MF and his reply was FM 50 will sound damn near like stock, 40 will drone and MF 22" will be similiar to stock also. He sayed : "you want it to sound like a small block chevy, right? " so that's how I ended up with the 18" MF.

400 HP and 430 of torque may be attainable for 5.3 not sure what they are from the factory. I do know that my 2010 Camaro with a 6.2, long tubes and solo exhaust with a mild cam only hit 400 both side to the rear wheels. Crank HP was most likely in the mid to high 400's.

I too love the redneck look :D .

Hope to get a tune soon, just not sure who to go with yet.

Mike

Dyno numbers can be deceiving. The shop that did work on my G8 was notorious for having one of the stingiest mustang dynos in the region, my car made 346rwhp/357rwtq but ran 12.7xxx @ 111 mph on street tires. If your camaro was a stick your probably had 470ish HP @ the motor, if it was an auto was probably more like 490-500 HP. 15 and 20% driveline losses.

For these DI V8's adjusting the A/F ratio and adding timing can net even more HP than your typical last gen underrated pig rich tuned GM LSx V8. I actually think I may be conservative w/ what these trucks could hit w/ a decent tune intake/headers - I netted 28rwhp from a tune alone on an otherwise stock L76 G8 GT, so w/ this new DI V8 I bet 40whp would be attainable w/ tune alone, add intake and headers to the mix and you may be looking a total gain of 60 HP or so.

Kinney's huh? Short drive for me. Looks like they removed a cat or two to install the true duals? Right at the beginning I paused it to verify. It does sound good and the install is professional, but it sure looks to me like they removed a cat.