2014+ Exhaust Systems & Mufflers

Does anyone have any experience with Gibson on the 2014 trucks? All the reviews I can find says they offer over a 15 H.P. gain and better gas mileage. I've heard both flowmaster and magnaflow in person. Curious on how the Gibson sounds on these trucks.

I'm also curious about the Gibson exhaust. Has anyone installed one of their systems yet. From what I found on YouTube, it's got a pretty good rumble but it might be a little to look at me raspy. I want it noticeable when you hit the go peddle but not obnoxious. It's hard to really tell the difference when you hear them all through speakers.

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering the same thing dk. I want to delete the 3rd cat to. I doubt it will create any issues as it's not monitored by the truck ( no sensors )

Just throwing this out there.. Corsa sport cat back a game changer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Dj0nes

Saw elsewhere that the third cat was basically a concession to calif. epa and of no use beyond that. while I had exhaust off just drilled into the ceramic and broke it up and removed it and all the asbestos looking outer wrap, ended up just a mini expansion chamber, Started truck with it cleaned out and exhaust removed just for sound check and to blow out any remaining debris that may have gotten into pipe from my work, actually not very loud the two cats do quiet it down a lot, re-installed oem exhaust and drove for a day while my gibson arrived, sound was not much different than stock. Put the Gibson on last night (only have cell phone to video so no sense trying to post). Idle sound real good, v8 mode in all ranges sound real good also, not raspy and better than the video gibson puts out about it on you tube, V4 mode is noticable easily whenever it switches over to it, at low speeds it sounds like a V8 in V4 mode more noticable to the back seat occupants, over 60 it is easy to tell if its in v4 but not as noticeable and easily ignored. Still quiet in the cab a cruise on the highway and nice throaty tone when getting up to speed and kicking it down. Over all first 100 miles of it I like it more than not, the oem exhaust was to quiet and this sounds great, mixed feelings on the v4 mode sound, wish it was selectable to turn on or off as the range module is stupid expensive for what it does. Wonder about engine longevity with the v4 mode also. UPDATE: pulled battery cable to let engine reset and hopefully recalibrate for the exhaust, When last updated at Dealer took a while to get back to regular mileage etc. will post after a few hundred to see how it turns out.

Edited by dkeven

I just removed the muffler add a little more sound, left all the rest. May do last muffler later. Still quiet at cruise speeds. Looks like the cats take care of most of the sound anyway. Save your money spend it on a tune or headers. I also put the tailpipe out the back with a nice polished tip. Grand total 150 dollars. Check local laws before you mess with cats, some states have big fines.

Edited by KARNUT

On my 2010 6.2 I removed stock muffler, ordered a xr1 borla muffler, 3.5 in 3.5 out, removed the two nuts that bolted the exhaust together after Y-pipe and just flipped the pipe over and rebolted it back up. This made the offset in the factory muffler be more of a straight shot out the back of the truck. I then added a short piece of 3.5 inch pipe before xr1 and welded xr1 directly to factory exhaust behind xr1 and it looked factory but sounded pretty darn good. Never had any issues!! If your gonna get a tune then you can do whatever you want with the convertors because tuner can tune the rear O2s out and turn off codes. Well at least you can in AL we dont have to pass emissions. But you could still remove that rear one Im guessn with no issues I would think.

UPDATE ON GIBSON: The cat back stainless steel extreme dual version was $459.00 shipped at autoanything with my last coupon, After running it for a while I did not like the v4 warble as the muffler sits sguarly between cab and box on crew cab. I got a 12 x 20 piece of light gauge aluminum rolled the edges 1/2 inch and wrapped it with header wrap. Used three hose clamps and secured it to the Gibson muffler on top. Had to form the sides with a wood vise to bend around the muffler a little prior to clamping. Got rid of most of the in cab warble from the v4 and quieted the rest down in cab by a little. Well pleased with the results and with windows down or in between walls so you can hear it sounds great, Fulll throttle or just running up to speed is a real nice tone. V4 above 50 mph is negligable and below 50 easily ignored even in back seat. Removal (actually gutting) of third cat has not shown up as anything negative, no lights etc. so figure the reduced back pressure is a good thing, averaging 18mpg on 25 mile commute with mild grades and 60-70 speeds, can get 21 if I want to granny it. No road trips yet for highway mileage.

Edited by dkeven
  • Like 1