Halogen & LED Headlight Bulb Upgrades

What did you have to do about the air box? Cut a hole In it so that you could fit that cover on the back of the passenger side headlight? Also the biggest question left, how much would it cost to get a set of those back pieces made and sent to zip code 70065, Louisiana?[emoji4] I would really like to know so I can know how much I need to send you so I can get a set of these headlight bulbs as well

I have an AFE airbox and it fits without modification. I can't remember how much clearance the stock airbox had but I would guess it'll fit as well as I thought they were pretty much the same in that regard. I made the covers as short as I felt comfortable expressly for that reason--they only protrude about 1/2" more than stock. The stock cover will actually physically fit on there with the bulbs installed, it's just right up against the fan (and crimping the wires, etc) so I wouldn't expect the bulbs to last like that. The guy I talked to from VLED specifically said they need some space behind the fan so they can keep cool. I could make you a set of covers if you like. $35 each should cover it.

• Like 2

$250 ??????

I paid $200. That was their introductory offer over the last month or so.

I don't have a dog in this, but it looks like this LED set costs more than any HID kit, by a wide margin. I'm not sure what the aversion is to stringing a few wires that are an essentially plug and play harness. If it is indeed $250, you're into full projector retrofit component prices.

It's not an aversion to stringing a few wires. It's more like an aversion to the whole idea of "affordable" aftermarket HID kits. If this thing had come from the factory with them, that would have been great. But just taking a look at the threads here indicates the aftermarket kits have a list of problems occurring with them longer than my arm. Unless there are just a whole bunch of doofuses here who can't follow simple instructions on how to properly "run a few wires," one concludes that there are many different problems occurring with these systems at a fairly common rate. And that getting them to work properly might take quite a bit of time and effort and even then reliability might be questionable--people talk of keeping spare bulbs, etc, with them. To me, that seems a bit silly for a bit brighter headlights so I've just always been turned off by the idea.

LED's on the other hand, I've always liked in any applications I've used them. Instant on, efficient, durable as hell, etc. I don't think I've ever had an LED fail on me in any application. Ever. And they last FOREVER. Pretty much, anyway. While most HID bulbs are rated to last around 2500 hours, these are rated to last 30,000 hours. That's an order of magnitude difference. They're not a consumable, but a lifetime purchase.

I don't mean to slam HID kits, I'm really happy for those who have them and don't doubt they can put out nicer overall beam patterns, etc, than this setup. I'm just saying there are some legit reasons why some will look for other options. These bulbs are another option for those looking to go a different route and more choices is always better for the consumer.

This setup is certainly not the end-all be-all. I'd say they take the stock Sierra headlights from "mediocre" to "pretty good." Not "fantastic" or "the best" by any means, but an improvement that really is plug and play.

What I'd really like is some complete replacement headlights with LED projectors specifically designed from the ground up that way. Maybe in a few years....

Most of the HID "kits" installed on this thread are the cheap aftermarket components.

If an installation used OEM parts and good workmanship, the reliability should be as high as a OEM HID. Darn few want to spring $200 for a pair of OEM ballasts, another couple hundred for OEM projectors, $100 for bulbs, etc.. Most here want cheap products and then hope and wish for reliability. Hoping and wishing is fine for your Christmas present.

LEDs are not without their own problems. With the sources being mostly from China on most of the big name makers, the quality can suffer. Even US LED products have problems. My weekend shooting buddy is a maintenance supervisor at the L.A. harbor. They are having a lot of failures in short usage of LED work lights attached to boats and docks.

Darn few want to spring $200 for a pair of OEM ballasts, another couple hundred for OEM projectors, $100 for bulbs, etc.. Most here want cheap products and then hope and wish for reliability. Hoping and wishing is fine for your Christmas present.

Yeah, I realize that. But it also sort of makes my point. You aren't going to get OEM quality and reliability for $200 with HID's. While I wouldn't put these bulbs on the same level of quality of an OEM system, I'm more optimistic about their reliability than I would be a cheap HID kit.

I paid $200. That was their introductory offer over the last month or so.

It's not an aversion to stringing a few wires. It's more like an aversion to the whole idea of "affordable" aftermarket HID kits. If this thing had come from the factory with them, that would have been great. But just taking a look at the threads here indicates the aftermarket kits have a list of problems occurring with them longer than my arm. Unless there are just a whole bunch of doofuses here who can't follow simple instructions on how to properly "run a few wires," one concludes that there are many different problems occurring with these systems at a fairly common rate. And that getting them to work properly might take quite a bit of time and effort and even then reliability might be questionable--people talk of keeping spare bulbs, etc, with them. To me, that seems a bit silly for a bit brighter headlights so I've just always been turned off by the idea.

LED's on the other hand, I've always liked in any applications I've used them. Instant on, efficient, durable as hell, etc. I don't think I've ever had an LED fail on me in any application. Ever. And they last FOREVER. Pretty much, anyway. While most HID bulbs are rated to last around 2500 hours, these are rated to last 30,000 hours. That's an order of magnitude difference. They're not a consumable, but a lifetime purchase.

I don't mean to slam HID kits, I'm really happy for those who have them and don't doubt they can put out nicer overall beam patterns, etc, than this setup. I'm just saying there are some legit reasons why some will look for other options. These bulbs are another option for those looking to go a different route and more choices is always better for the consumer.

This setup is certainly not the end-all be-all. I'd say they take the stock Sierra headlights from "mediocre" to "pretty good." Not "fantastic" or "the best" by any means, but an improvement that really is plug and play.

What I'd really like is some complete replacement headlights with LED projectors specifically designed from the ground up that way. Maybe in a few years....

Just to add to the part about how they last forever, with how these bulbs are universal and can be used in several different housings with just a change of the collar, so they really can become a lifetime purchase. I'm ordering a set in a few days when they will go back down to $200 for VLEDs' end of the sale. I will be able to report back on how they compare to HIDs. Granted my HIDs aren't a Morimoto kit, but they are a 55W DDM kit that has put out a lot of light. Only reason why I am changing to the LED and not keeping my HIDs is not because of reliability or anything, but for the lengthy life and I personally want to be able to have all my lights be LED and now thanks to Jon A trying these bulbs and being able to print a cover for the back, I now know it's possible and am ready to drop the $200 for the headlights.

Can't wait to get them and report back on how they compare to HIDs in the OEM projector.

• Like 1

Just to add to the part about how they last forever, with how these bulbs are universal and can be used in several different housings with just a change of the collar, so they really can become a lifetime purchase. I'm ordering a set in a few days when they will go back down to $200 for VLEDs' end of the sale. I will be able to report back on how they compare to HIDs. Granted my HIDs aren't a Morimoto kit, but they are a 55W DDM kit that has put out a lot of light. Only reason why I am changing to the LED and not keeping my HIDs is not because of reliability or anything, but for the lengthy life and I personally want to be able to have all my lights be LED and now thanks to Jon A trying these bulbs and being able to print a cover for the back, I now know it's possible and am ready to drop the $200 for the headlights.

Can't wait to get them and report back on how they compare to HIDs in the OEM projector.

I just went on vled wesite and they are having a new years sale and it 20% off if u spend over $200. Only problem is the light are on backorder.

I just went on vled wesite and they are having a new years sale and it 20% off if u spend over $200. Only problem is the light are on backorder.

But if I place the order during the 20% off sale then I'll be able to get them for $200. Hopefully they won't be back ordered for too long. I'm actually going to email VLEDs soon and see what they say about how long the wait should be.

• Like 1

But if I place the order during the 20% off sale then I'll be able to get them for $200. Hopefully they won't be back ordered for too long. I'm actually going to email VLEDs soon and see what they say about how long the wait should be.

Let me know what they say when they reply. I might be interested in these also

Let me know what they say when they reply. I might be interested in these also

customer support is telling me that if the bulbs are ordered during the New Year's Day sale, then I should expect the bulbs to arrive at my front door around the end of next month.

what is the part # for the vled led bulbs? I'm thinking about selling my morimoto kit before I install it and go with led instead

http://www.vleds.com/headlights/lmz-ultra.html

Here's what I got, same thing that Jon A got. Only difference is Jon has 6000K and I got 5000K. I will post pics of color and install when I get them.

Btw, you will want to contact Jon A about new covers for the back. The LED bulbs will fit under the stock cap but just barely, and by just barely I mean you will be pushing the wires up against the back of the bulb and leave little to no room for the bulb to cool. The extended caps will help add air space for the fan so the bulb can cool down properly.