Halogen & LED Headlight Bulb Upgrades

I have been looking high and low for fog light bulb alternatives to increase light output. Not interested in LED or HID due to reliability over time. I use my truck to tow and on long trips I rest easier with less unknowns. I have ordered H9 bulbs to replace the H11 in the lows. Should be a decent upgrade for the cost $14 bucks. The only(and I mean only) usable halogen fog bulbs I have found are these Nokya. Might be worth a try for the money. They are clear and run at 35w which is at least better then the the 24w we have now. Cant imagine the extra 10 watts/heat will effect the wiring or housings. Any thoughts?

http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/nost1clh1659.html

Fog light dispersion pattern is very broad and meant to be more toward a marker than reaching far or providing illumination for driving purposes. Although a delta of 9 watt may seem small, the light pod might be designed barely enough to handle the thermal stress of a 24-watt bulb. Knowing GM, I wouldn't put it past them.

I have been looking high and low for fog light bulb alternatives to increase light output. Not interested in LED or HID due to reliability over time. I use my truck to tow and on long trips I rest easier with less unknowns. I have ordered H9 bulbs to replace the H11 in the lows. Should be a decent upgrade for the cost $14 bucks. The only(and I mean only) usable halogen fog bulbs I have found are these Nokya. Might be worth a try for the money. They are clear and run at 35w which is at least better then the the 24w we have now. Cant imagine the extra 10 watts/heat will effect the wiring or housings. Any thoughts?

http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/nost1clh1659.html

Fog light dispersion pattern is very broad and meant to be more toward a marker than reaching far or providing illumination for driving purposes. Although a delta of 9 watt may seem small, the light pod might be designed barely enough to handle the thermal stress of a 24-watt bulb. Knowing GM, I wouldn't put it past them.

I know I had a small melting issue when I put 25W HIDs in the housing. And so have several others. I know you said that you are not looking to change to LED anything but I really think you would be happy and not regret it if you put in some Rigid Industries DOT approve pods. Hell, you can even just go ahead and put them in the same location as your tow hooks or somewhere else if you really want to keep the OEM fogs in place. The DOT pods make the OEM fogs look like nothing more than candle light

Also the DOT pods will achieve exactly what you are looking for, to be an actual useful light to see and not just as a marker. I have the pods and I think that they are incredible. When my HID headlights failed I was able to use the pods to see easily out of my tinted windshield (30%VLT) and I could see really well.

Just my $0.02

• Like 1

All this talk about how bright this or that bulb is, made me go out and buy a lux meter. The engineer in me always seems to want real measured data. So, I bought this Extech LT300 for about $125. I looked at various makes and models and couldn't find a rational method of selecting a meter. So, I followed the path from TRS on the HID Planet forum. They did some testing of various bulbs and they used this meter. I figured that at least, I could communicate with them with the same meter measurements if it comes to that.

I haven't used it but once, but I'm definitely going to do some comparison tests before and after on various lighting mods.

DSC_2834Medium_zps08648315.jpg

DSC_2835Medium_zps6cd734d7.jpg

DSC_2836Medium_zps0fc20e6f.jpg

U the Man! we will be following,, I think I'm gonna try the 9011 mod if there is no real answer on the "update" when she goes in for her first service

I am waiting for Rigid silverado specific kit to become available and then the pricing. Their products are great but so are the prices!

Products are great but I don't think the pricing is [emoji23] I think the prices would be great If they were cheaper though! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

All this talk about how bright this or that bulb is, made me go out and buy a lux meter. The engineer in me always seems to want real measured data. So, I bought this Extech LT300 for about $125. I looked at various makes and models and couldn't find a rational method of selecting a meter. So, I followed the path from TRS on the HID Planet forum. They did some testing of various bulbs and they used this meter. I figured that at least, I could communicate with them with the same meter measurements if it comes to that.

I haven't used it but once, but I'm definitely going to do some comparison tests before and after on various lighting mods.

DSC_2834Medium_zps08648315.jpg

DSC_2835Medium_zps6cd734d7.jpg

DSC_2836Medium_zps0fc20e6f.jpg

I was wanting to do some measurements also, so if I do get something I'll get the same one to keep it all useful for the board.

• Like 2

The 2014 GMC Sierra/Lt, Z-1

They all take the same Headlight Bulb

So far I have been unable to find or purchase ANY Halogen bulb that shows any significant Light!

There was a question on Lumens. The factory ones put out approx 3400 lumens

In a yellow-amber light.

Your only Good solution is to go to an HID Upgrade or have a professional install one.

The 2014 GMC Sierra/Lt, Z-1

They all take the same Headlight Bulb

So far I have been unable to find or purchase ANY Halogen bulb that shows any significant Light!

There was a question on Lumens. The factory ones put out approx 3400 lumens

In a yellow-amber light.

Your only Good solution is to go to an HID Upgrade or have a professional install one.

I thought that the OEM halogens were rated at around 1,200 lumens each? Total of 2,400 lumens, Not 3,400.

Also the new LMZ LEDs are another option vs HIDs for anyone who is willing to step away from halogens.

• Like 1

The Philips 9012 current 3rd gen bulb is 1875 lumens@ 13.2v (each)

The Philips 9011 current 3 rd gen bulb is ~ 2300 lumens @ 13.2v

The Philips 3rd gen outperform the old original Toshiba HIR bulbs according to supposedly reputable sources.

HID are all over the map, up to 3500 lumens or much lower, depending on mfr and age.

9005 & 9006 bulbs will be much lower output and life than 9012/9011.

Edited by spurshot

For you Chevy guys, the 55w H11 factory bulb can be replaced with a 65w H9 for a good jump in output. But the life will be halved. H9 bulbs are $14 OTC at Autozone or O'reilley. A tab needs to be ground (metal) and a jumper for the plug is available on Amazon or at Bulbzilla. I think modifying the bulb socket may allow direct fit to the harness. I ran them in my 2008 for 5 years. My brother has the truck and still uses them.

Edited by spurshot

As a point of reference, I think I've traced the OEM Sierra projector to Valeo, a huge OEM supplier in Spain. Based on what I've read online, they likely make many other GM products, possibly the entire headlamp assembly. I'm not sure it means anything to us. But they are a maker of new LED headlamp assemblies for other vehicles. I think LED is coming to GM shortly.

http://www.valeoservice.com/html/unitedkingdom/en/products.gammesdetail-lighting_and_signaling-3223504834374DB50EF42C.html

Edited by spurshot
  • Like 2