Assist Steps / Running Boards / Nerf Bars

The fit sure is nice and tight to the rockers. I like how they blend. Mine won't be getting installed until Monday. Be interesting on mine how the black Amps will look up against the white diamond. May be another plastidip project.

Mike

This is probably getting ahead of myself, but wouldn't these be great if they automatically lowered when you press the unlock key on your keyfob? I already have underside mirror lighting for night lumination and think if those auto deployed with the unlock key would be sweet. Matter of just integrating/combing the deploy sequence with the mirror light/+12v of some sort probably.

Anybody else think that would be a neat feature?

Your getting giddy, me too. I can't wait till Monday, I see you got the same deal as me, my takeoffs for the install.

I already took mine off, think I'm excited.

Mike

For sure, I think anytime I am about to stick a grand into a vehicle its time to get a little giddy lol. My last purchase was an A.R.E LSX fiberglass paint to match Tonneau Cover which met the 1k expense as well. These are just apparently "minor" items to get me ramped up for the big suspension lift/wheels/tires purchase in the spring ($$ouch$$) lol.

I think the same thing. I am mixed between 2,4,6 inches of lift. That is until I view pics or video of my previous truck I owned for 10 years lol. Then 6" lift goes back to the top for priority. Heres a short video of it if interested >

They are just as advertised... perfect! I used the every time I get in and out. I can't say that about any previous step. Im only 6 ft tall but I have found myself with all previous truck and step combination skipping the step sometimes. This is truly convenient for me! The other thing that is unique is that they drop far enough that you can easily use them with winter boots. The big bulky kind you wear in -15F boots. I am so happy that I have almost forgotten about how expensive they are... even after getting an amazing deal!

Gotcha, yeah thats bad but will be good to have a GM guro with ya. And for what its worth i just call a call from the dealer, they said they were hoping to tie into the BCM or such for the "activation feed" which would save the cracking open of all doors, all wiring to each etc...but that is not possible with the 2014's. it sounds like with some previous models this was possible. So they are just proceeding with the rest of the wiring and will need another 1-2 hours. You would think AMP would have found some single tie in (BCM/ single power wire) to activate the steps when any door opens vs. having to wire each door.

Good luck on your install.

Yeah, that was my worry/concern as I looked at the instructions. I have no issue tearing into a motor, but when it comes to electricity, I'm not the best guy for the job.

Best of luck to you and your install, mine will get there by the weekend.

Mike

Gotcha, yeah thats bad but will be good to have a GM guro with ya. And for what its worth i just call a call from the dealer, they said they were hoping to tie into the BCM or such for the "activation feed" which would save the cracking open of all doors, all wiring to each etc...but that is not possible with the 2014's. it sounds like with some previous models this was possible. So they are just proceeding with the rest of the wiring and will need another 1-2 hours. You would think AMP would have found some single tie in (BCM/ single power wire) to activate the steps when any door opens vs. having to wire each door.

Good luck on your install.

Did they mention what they were having to tie into for each door? It seems to me, as with others im sure, that a single tie in at the computer would be feasible (dome lights, door ajar signal, etc)

Im curious as to what the connect to inside of each door. I mean if its a signal wire (door ajar, dome lights, etc) shouldn't you be able to make this tie in at the trucks BCM vs making it inside the door panel?

Swasimoto: Do both steps drop regardless of what door is opened? For instance, if you open the driver side door, does the passenger side step drop down with the driver side? Or does the passenger side stay retracted while the driver side drops?

Each door operates the boards independently which is why the trigger at each door. I did the install this past weekend in case anyone gets stuck let me know I will try to advise on lessons learned.

Each door operates the boards independently which is why the trigger at each door. I did the install this past weekend in case anyone gets stuck let me know I will try to advise on lessons learned.

What do the boards connect to inside the door?

There is a group of wires that go to the door handle area. Probably like 4 or 5 wires to a connector housing. There is a grey wire with a stripe on the outer left most section of that plug that is the "trigger" wire. So basically you are connecting or splicing into that wire. It's most likely some low voltage wire that goes back to the control module "amp" that tells the boards to deploy. One tip is pay attention to how you route the wire when running the first section of wire through the interior of the door to avoid the window rails. The instructions are pretty good but they do leave out little details which I am sure they thought were common sense " ahem" for installers. It's really not too bad if you take your time but you will burn a day doing it. I also recommend a trip to auto parts store to get a set of non marring panel prys cost is about 15 bux and worth it as it helps to remove panels in a safe non plastic breaking fashion.

I got mine back and for the little bit I have used them, they seem very solid and dang does it look so much better and they are useful when you need them and go away when you don't.

(warning: off topic :)While I was there to pick up my truck I started talking to the GM accessories guy and we may be working out a deal to swap my Denali rims for the ATX teflon coated (bring it winter). Then I can run my current tires (which to me they are pretty good) until spring when I decide on either a 2 or 6 inch lift, then just replacement rubber is needed.

I may just sell the rims (denali exclusive with etching of Denali name in rims / 20x9) out right though.

• Like 1

For the guys that ordered the power steps: You may want to wait a month or two to install because AMP is working on a module so that the door panels don't have to be removed. According to them, it will be released the end of January.

I just ordered a set of wheel to wheel N-Fab assist steps, in textured black. When they come in I'll post some pics of them installed in case anyone was thinking of getting these. Got them from a company called www.autocustoms.com for $399.25 delivered.

• Like 1