anyone get a tune on a 5.3?

quickvert1

I am curious myself. Does Performance Tune adjust ECM and TCM?

Depends on the Vendor, some can and others are still working on it. From my research, Diablo, EFI live, HP tuners, Can adjust both ECM, TCM. I'm leaning toward Diablew to tune mine (He's a long time custom tuner that uses Diablo tuner). But have not made up my mind yet.

I already have the Efi live unit from my last BB tune on my old truck.. I'll likely go that route again. I sent Justin an email last night inquiring about whether or not GM can see the tune, if I flash to stock first. I'll post back with his reply.

• 1 month later...

I already have the Efi live unit from my last BB tune on my old truck.. I'll likely go that route again. I sent Justin an email last night inquiring about whether or not GM can see the tune, if I flash to stock first. I'll post back with his reply.

Did you get an answer back?

I recently plugged in a Diablo 93 octane tune in my 2013 5.3L using the InTune device. Seems a lot better. I went with 93 tune because I primarily use E85 which has 100 octane. I will eventually get a custom tuner like Lew or Andy to work something up on the Diablo that is more specific to my vehicle. One thing I like about the Diablo programmer, Is that it has more things you can adjust than most people would want to mess with. TCM adjustments also. You could put in a 89 or 93 canned tune, and spend most of the weekend fiddling with other settings available and still not cover everything. An easy to use tuner, with a boat load of features, and very good bang for the buck. If you take the pickup to the dealer, just restore the stock tune, and then reload the Diablo tune when you get the pickup out of the shop. That is just in case they do a ECM flash update. If you don't take the Diablo tune out and "un marry" the device from the ECM, you would not be able to use the tuner and plug back in your custom stuff after the dealer gets done messing with the ECM.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1

Depends on the Vendor, some can and others are still working on it. From my research, Diablo, EFI live, HP tuners, Can adjust both ECM, TCM. I'm leaning toward Diablew to tune mine (He's a long time custom tuner that uses Diablo tuner). But have not made up my mind yet.

Efi live hasn't released the TCM yet. Still in the works. Been waiting on them for awhile. They said it will be release this year but no ETA of exactly when. I only know that because I tune with EFI live.

My 2014 is tuned, I am actually working on the e85 side of it now. I'm hoping to get a day off this weekend so I can take it to the dyno and show real world gains between stock tune and custom. I will report back with numbers as soon as it becomes a reality.

• 2 months later...

My 2014 is tuned, I am actually working on the e85 side of it now. I'm hoping to get a day off this weekend so I can take it to the dyno and show real world gains between stock tune and custom. I will report back with numbers as soon as it becomes a reality.

ttt

Well, circumstances have changed somewhat. Nothing related to the Intune itself. I restored the pickup to stock tune. This was primarily because wife is the primary user of the pickup, I am out on the semi truck most of the week, and if she has an issue she needs to go to the dealership, she is not technically savvy enough to restore the stock tune. So, it was a situation that called for returning to stock.

Anyone want a Diablo Intune unit? Got it about 3 months ago. It is in the original box, with all cables and the Diablo window sticker. Will let it go for $275 which includes shipping to anywhere in the lower 48. Get the unit at a lower cost than new, and have Lew or someone do a custom tune for you. PM me if anyone is interested.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently plugged in a Diablo 93 octane tune in my 2013 5.3L using the InTune device. Seems a lot better. I went with 93 tune because I primarily use E85 which has 100 octane. I will eventually get a custom tuner like Lew or Andy to work something up on the Diablo that is more specific to my vehicle. One thing I like about the Diablo programmer, Is that it has more things you can adjust than most people would want to mess with. TCM adjustments also. You could put in a 89 or 93 canned tune, and spend most of the weekend fiddling with other settings available and still not cover everything. An easy to use tuner, with a boat load of features, and very good bang for the buck. If you take the pickup to the dealer, just restore the stock tune, and then reload the Diablo tune when you get the pickup out of the shop. That is just in case they do a ECM flash update. If you don't take the Diablo tune out and "un marry" the device from the ECM, you would not be able to use the tuner and plug back in your custom stuff after the dealer gets done messing with the ECM.

+1 on this. I picked up a used Diablo InTune for $210 and put the 87 octance tune on along with an Airaid Intake (MIT with K&n Drop in)... pretty noticeable difference. Transmission is alot quicker and firmer, and has smartened up alot. Truck is noticeably quicker also. HP wise, maybe 15-18hp between the two mods....But I am looking to have Lew at Diablew do a custom tune for me!

Edited by Roddy8

• 1 month later...

Got my first 5.3(l59) and I love it to death. I don't have any real performance shops in town so I was curious what would be the best route for getting a tune. I don't want to break the bank but I want quicker gear changes (without stress to tranny) and maybe +20flb torque. I'm totally new to custom tunes and just want something easy to understand (plug and play) thanks in advance!

• Like 1