Is there a fix for the cold start tick?

So I seem to be getting the cold start tick more and more now. It used to only do it when the temps were in the 30's and below but now it's mid 50's and the truck is still doing it. Every time I take it to my dealer they can never reproduce the sound and I even have video proof. They always say it's normal.

Of those of you that have it, have you had your dealer or GM fix the issue? Is there even a fix?

I refuse to believe that this is "normal" just like they say with the oil consumption issue. With all this crap going on with the ignition switches it makes me wonder what else GM might not be addressing.

if the noise goes away after about 30 sec. then it's piston slap, if it continues i would say injectors cycling. the only fix that i'm aware of is by removing the pistons, and replacing with better ones...rebuild. not worth it unless motor is shot. just do what everyone else is doing, ignore it till the motor needs rebuilding, or trade in for newer..

good luck

Could it be the infamous AFM lifter tick? If that's what it is, mine does it cold and hot (after sitting for a while) for the first 2-3 minutes after startup. More of a ticking noise than the old piston-slap knocking noise that my Dad's old 2000 Silverado 5.3 used to make. My '09 Silverado started doing this ticking at around 7K miles on the clock and was helped (as much as you can help it without replacing lifters) somewhat by changing to Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil (from regular dino oil) and back to the AC Delco stock PF48 oil filter (from a higher-dollar, supposedly better-filtering but definitely lower-flowing 'premium' oil filter).

Edited by Maverick Z71
  • Like 1

I am on my second 2014 silverado. The first was a real lemon and had the dreaded smoke at start up, and ticked like a time bomb. I was told all D.I engines do this. Also the general manager grabbed a double handful of keys and took me for a tour of all the new trucks on the lot and starting them up .They all smoked at start up.But not all ticked. I eventually traded for another 2014 and this one does not smoke but only has a minor tick. Usually only obvious at drive thru windows. As with all other 2014 some get lucky ,some get lemons. Now if they can only fix all other issues with mine . BROKEN SEAT(both trucks), SHAKING, RATTLING,SNAP,CRACKLE,POP interior,VIBRATION UNDER MODERATE ACCELERATION,BANGING FROM REAR WHEN TRANSMISSION SHIFTS WHEN NOT UNDER LOAD,ECT. Wow I getting depressed so I will leave it at that . I am going to to go take my Xanax ,and blood pressure meds. I keep them very close to my 72 month payment book. Every time I look at it,I am reminded what an up hill battle this is going to be to get this truck even close to what we were promised. Can some one say

"BAIT AND SWITCH"? Some get lucky some don't. As for me it could be RAINING VAGINAS AND I WOULD GET HIT IN THE HEAD WITH A PENIS !. :rant:

GOOD LUCK, And please understand my sarcasm.

A lot of these engines will have lifter tick, piston slap and even some rod knock.

GM advises their dealers that this is the way engines normally sound. Apart from some lifter tick when the lifters bleed down and need to pressure up on restart I suspect there are some sloppy clearances causing the problem.

I've been told by GM that up to 5 minutes of piston slap is fine and the rod knock was all in my head. Complete nonsense.

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of these engines will have lifter tick, piston slap and even some rod knock.

GM advises their dealers that this is the way engines normally sound. Apart from some lifter tick when the lifters bleed down and need to pressure up on restart I suspect there are some sloppy clearances causing the problem.

I've been told by GM that up to 5 minutes of piston slap is fine and the rod knock was all in my head. Complete nonsense.

Yep the old "OPERATING AS DESIGNED" line of B.S.

• Like 1

My truck only ticks for about 30 seconds when it's below 50 degrees f.

And my dads '06 4.8 had a nonstop ticking that was just eliminated by some random mechanic who operates out of his garage. From what I've been told the tick was removed by replacing some sort of seal or filter at the oil pump. The tick was nonstop and it was only getting worse but now its 100℅ gone! Nothing was done to the lifters or any part of the valve train.

I would need to hear it to give an opinion. I had "piston slap" sometimes on my '99, but I've never heard that on any Gen IV 5.3. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, as I've only driven a few, but I haven't heard anyone with that on this board either. The most likely culprit is lifter tick, until the oil gets flowing. What weight and type of oil are you running?

Not that it helps, but go listen to any direct injected motor (the new GM motors or the Ford EB 3.5), and listen to the tick on those. I can hear them from 30 feet in the home depot parking lot. For comparison, go and listen to a larger DOHC motor like the Toyota Tundra. Some of those sound like a diesel on startup, for the same reason... hydraulic lifters before the oil gets flowing good.

My guess...