Beware before buying the Led 3rd brake lights.

So I went a head and bought the Led 3rd high mounting brake light. The light came today and come to find out that it doesn't fit :(

I'm just gonna stick with the factory and put the led bulb in there... Will contact the seller and return it today.

1. The light wiring is not PNP. you have to tap into the factory wiring.. Luckily, I didn't!

2. Doesn't come with rubber gasket.

3. The back did not recess inside the opening to sit flush like the factory. see pics

Here are the pics, Enjoy! lol

IMG_7823_zpse8add7cf.jpg

IMG_7824_zps378f2a89.jpg

IMG_7826_zps3be88c20.jpg

IMG_7825_zps31e53282.jpg

IMG_7822_zps09d78285.jpg

IMG_7818_zps12972cda.jpg

IMG_7820_zpsa6918996.jpg

IMG_7829_zps1e36e2c8.jpg

IMG_7827_zpsd6d5bc73.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's another approach on this issue. This fixture doesn't fit very well. I took the back access plate off and ground it down thinking that was what was keeping the fixture from sitting flush, that didn't help. I put electrical tape on the fixture where it contacts the paint. I cut the plug off the stock fixture leaving enough wire to re-attach if necessary. I then attached the plug to the new fixture and installed it. It works well and from standing outside of the bed you can't really tell that it's not flush. At the same time I did red LED taillights. I could honestly vouch for their fit and function, etc.

I'm not thrilled with the cargo light and because of the fit I wouldn't recommend it. Having to fiddle with the wiring isn't that big of a deal, but obviously you don't want to cut the plug off of your new truck, cut the plug off your factory light.

if I had it to do over, I wouldn't mess with it. But I would keep an eye out for someone else making them.

002_zps5654758a.jpg

003_zpsf54613d9.jpg

^The problem is. When it rain, the water will run inside your headliner and that is something you don't want to deal with.... I don't might tapping the wires, but that is not what I'm concerning.. :)

So I went a head and bought the Led 3rd high mounting brake light. The light came today and come to find out that it doesn't fit :(

I'm just gonna stick with the factory and put the led bulb in there... Will contact the seller and return it today.

1. The light wiring is not PNP. you have to tap into the factory wiring.. Luckily, I didn't!

2. Doesn't come with rubber gasket.

3. The back did not recess inside the opening to sit flush like the factory. see pics

Here are the pics, Enjoy! lol

IMG_7823_zpse8add7cf.jpg

IMG_7824_zps378f2a89.jpg

IMG_7826_zps3be88c20.jpg

IMG_7825_zps31e53282.jpg

IMG_7822_zps09d78285.jpg

IMG_7818_zps12972cda.jpg

IMG_7820_zpsa6918996.jpg

IMG_7829_zps1e36e2c8.jpg

IMG_7827_zpsd6d5bc73.jpg

Thanks for this post!!!! I was thinking about one of those myself but decided to just change the bulbs. I would have been PISSED if I had ordered one of those. It's really a shame that the folks that sell/make them can't make them to fit right!!

OK - I'm the guy (2nd post) that went ahead and installed the ill fitting cargo light. After looking at

it's poor fit for about one day and thinking about the fact that there's no gasket, I put the original

one back on. Some one needs to tell the mfg. Hey your LED taillights are really nice, these cargo lights are no good. You might want to save everyone a lot of trouble and just quit selling them.

• 4 weeks later...

Call me skeptical, ill informed, etc, but I've been contemplating LED type lens/lamp change overs for both the tail lights and 3rd brake/cargo lamp but from everything I've seen (and yes, I'm certain others will agree to disagree), there just not any (or at least many) out there that actually fit the 2014 GMC Sierra properly and at the same time are fully PnP compatible. Where there are some pretty sharp designs out there, many do not offer a matching 3rd brake / cargo lamp which in itself steers me away (as If I'm gonna do it, I want all to match up)

Hence, I've elected to maintain my OEM and carry on and will continue to read up/learn from others here in the forum.

Good luck to those who have.

By the way, I'd also go as far to say that the poor quality and engineering of these so said "far east" type manufactured aftermarket LED lights we often find on eBay (flea-bay) are not the direct result of their manufacturers, they are the result of western companies/entrepreneurs that are commissioning these items in absence of any QAQC in terms of specification and design and on the premise of making huge profits.

We've all seen and use all types of products produced in China and other Asian countries that are good, reliable and well engineered. Think Samsung, Sony, even Apple, etc. while these aftermarket tail lights as well as some other forms of LEDs, etc...are like shopping for cheap christmas lights....always a few bulbs short of working properly! Blinky Blink Blink.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed my eBay brake light today. I had it for too long before I realized the fitment issues so returning it wasn't an option. A little elbow grease and I'm happy enough. Had to do a little trimming, remove the back plate, make a gasket, and cut the connector off my factory light. Turned out just fine in the end. I'd recommend waiting for someone to make one that fits right though if you haven't dropped the cash already.

Trimming

Gasket Installed - Rear Plate Removed

Installed

Installed - Right

Installed - Left

Archived