hollowing out the 3rd cat

"As of a couple of years ago GM no longer makes the vehicles 49 state emissions certified, they are now 50 state certified (for California). The last cat in that picture is a cat, it is a unmonitored cat so it can be cut out of the system and wont affect the running of the truck at all since it is not monitored. When GM added them to the 2009 G8 cars the pup cat caused a 5hp change in the rating, so I would assume prob close to that on the truck as well."

020_zps8f359079.jpg

Edited by desert

It did show about 3-4% change in fuel trims but I did my exhaust at the same time so I can only speculate how much it actually helped. I noticed no difference in relieving any of the factory KR by adding the exhaust/removing CaliCat. FYI... Factory calibrations at part throttle are aggressive for 87 octane though.

^^^I was running solely 93 octane but the Shell decided get water in the tanks (so I'm avoiding it) and it went to .30 cents more than 89.

I swapped to 89 the knock counts on the stock tunes "okay" for the most part. So, I may run 89 over 93 for a while since I'm still un-tuned.

Edited by 14'SilveradoLT

• 4 weeks later...

How is this done? Did you have to cut the factory pipe to hollow it out or just unbolt cat back? I haven't really looked at the factory system yet.

Hoist the truck by the frame to allow the suspension to drop. Remove the clamp from your third cat. Pop the rubber exhaust hangers loose with spray lube and large screwdriver. Pull the entire cat-back factory exhaust forward and down while giving it a 1/4 twist. Use a long masonery bit and large screwdriver to gut the 3rd cat. You might want to use a respirator or at least a dust mask. Install the cat-back system of your choice. Enjoy !

012_zps6e20470e.jpg

017_zpsf28c1668.jpg

018_zps7d06d29a.jpg

019_zps47dc882c.jpg

021_zps82901bfa.jpg

028_zps41f036ab.jpg

Edited by desert
  • Like 5

It did show about 3-4% change in fuel trims but I did my exhaust at the same time so I can only speculate how much it actually helped. I noticed no difference in relieving any of the factory KR by adding the exhaust/removing CaliCat. FYI... Factory calibrations at part throttle are aggressive for 87 octane though.

Forgive the ignorance, but by gutting the 3rd cat and re-installing the stock cat back would still make the exhaust a little louder right? Or, would it still be about the same noise level just with better flow?

Forgive the ignorance, but by gutting the 3rd cat and re-installing the stock cat back would still make the exhaust a little louder right? Or, would it still be about the same noise level just with better flow?

:lurk: I'm thinkin' louder. I've done it on a couple Corvettes and it sounded WAY better!

I did mine today and it really don't sound too much louder. I have factory resonator with 3 1/2" diameter magnaflow muffler with no flapper valve. Looks like I will be doing a muffler back setup with a free flow resonator. I want to keep a resonator to eliminate drone.

• 2 weeks later...